Hi from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Itchba, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

I'm in the mountains ATM. But can't afford to stay here lol to many tourists moving in to buy land cheap anymore. So now that I got the debt and home part handled I'm looking to relocate. I have lived in WNC most of my life but spent 6 yrs in Florida, 1 in VA and traveled as a otr hauler for awhile. I am not stuck on a place as long as it's mine! That said, lol I don't like to be cold lmao, so somewhere warm sounds good!
    I lose all my local friends if I move too far so I'm stuck with finding somewhere that has water and septic already. I want flowing water if possible to try a waterwheel idea I have, (self taught, and it's a dream so please don't crush my dream guys lol) so it has to be unrestricted! But I'm starting to see that if not careful I'm gonna get reamed by regulations.
    So I'm here to figure all this out, while saving( gonna take me at least 3yrs to save enough to buy outright) money.

And your right, cost of materials is more for stick built, I'm looking at a carport that extends out to cover a porch once I'm on my land. Till then I got silicone covering the roof.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've been looking at land , dreaming about it actually, from Asheville to I -77 area. Found some pretty decent deals occasionally. I like your water wheel idea as well. I asked my Dad about this idea years ago, and he basically busted my bubble over it. And I'm not trying to bust yours. My Dad said you would have to have a lot of force from the water to be able to produce the power to generate the amount of power to supply a home. He was ( RIP Dad ) an electrical designing engineer for Duke Power. Did all kinds of stuff on Turbines , Coal and Steam plants, and Nuclear. The man was way smarter than me.
    But I still think I could build a water wheel to help charge batteries for some supplemental power. I figured some type of gearing to help spin a generator or alternator fast enough to charge would work. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Gator 45/70 and Itchba like this.
  3. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Can you give more information about the "metal carport style building"?

4. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Regarding land prices, I'll tell you about mine. I paid $9000 cash for 1/3 acre on the Big Island of Hawaii. County taxes for unimproved land is $150/year. Only expense is propane for hot water heater and stove - and monthly modem for internet ;)

5. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

That's what I was thinking too, gears to increase the output, but like with wind the breaking system needs more thought. Lol and it's just something to think about at this point, I like a good think!

I found this site
    18x36 regular metal carport - Alan's Factory Outlet - Northern States

My travel trailer is 25 foot so that gives me lots of room on each end, plus it's 10 foot wide ( with one slide) so the width gives me room to have a small porch area ( about 6 feet) under cover.

Nice! I'm looking for something a little bigger. I want to have a wood shop to play with and maybe a few animals. Plus I'm kinda a hermit! People tend to piss me off, lol or I tend to piss them off mostly. So I want seclusion if I can. I'm ok with off grid, but I've had to use outhouses when I was a kid and that's something I don't miss!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the Monkey from eastern NC...

Consider one of those "Red Barns" "Storage' buildings ( a storage building is normally exempt from building codes)... and add a lean-to off one side for your RV or a metal garage off the back for the RV... you can insulate it and add a heater and have storage for preps and a workshop...

Itchba and chelloveck like this.
  8. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

I have a 28' x 12' building at a friend's place. Have to have permit for anything over 12' in any demention here. And unless the owner of the land agree that it's mine to take with me it becomes part of the property it's placed on. So til I'm on my own place I'm kinda stuck. But that's a great idea for when I'm ready! Just get the building set up and add a lean to on one side for my RV cover. Thx!

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Check tax records for tax sales of land that meets your needs you might save some $$$

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Been doing that, and watching papers for notices of upcoming sales.

11. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Ok guys here is a question for you. I been reading all these posts all day and now I see how much I really don't know. I need an area that has few restrictions on building, and like minded folk near by to help me when I get in a jam. Like I said three years before I will have enough saved for land so what's a good option for a 40 something female to find training in the stuff I don't know? Looks like my biggest weaknesses are the martial skills, never hunted, have basic woods craft but most of what I'm reading seems to be a way of thinking that becomes habit.

Lilikoian, chelloveck and techsar like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You need to get to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho area.... they are down right middle america on politics... and the way of life can be as primal as you can swallow. I grew up on a small plat of land with a big garden, animals and an slow lifestyle...... been trying to get back to that for years!!! Get to know your neighbors, express your interest in hunting and such....most country folk will show you the way, if they deem you worthy of their time.

13. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Cold winter for an RV! But thanks.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

The prepared survive!! ;)

15. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Didn't say I couldn't, just said it would be...interesting

chelloveck likes this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yep, camped in the deep of winter in a RV... just have to have skirting and additional insulation applied as needed. Smart work can prepare one for what may come.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Have heavy outdoor canvas as a skirt but would probably want to use foam board up there under it. I get plastic to cover all the windows in winter but it doesn't really get that cold here. And only backup heat I have is electric so I'm not nearly ready for that type of winter yet. Beautiful country though! Drove through there some in 2010.

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, the light is ON.

chelloveck, Itchba and techsar like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A challenge but not insoluble....there are passive solar solutions to heating, even in cold areas, at relatively little cost if recyclable and re-purposed materials are used...follow the link to Pinterest...Solar Heater for some inspiration... A lean-to conservatory to your lean to your lean-to RV/ car-port might be a possible solution....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]http://www.livinggreenandfrugally.com/build-a-green-house-from-plastic-bottles/
    Upcycling

A connected greenhouse / conservatory provide both heating benefits for the RV, and year round produce.

If your RV is likely to come and go frequently you could rig up an easily disconnectable docking module that allows for easy connection / disconnection as required.

For most problems there are work arounds

20. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Thanks, I haven't seen some of these before. Was planning to use something similar for my cabin I wanna build but didn't think about for now! I seem to be dragging my feet about wanting to get to invested in where I am now, cause I know I'm not staying lol.

Would I need to do a drainage field under these like I would for the cabin? Or are they like the temp ones used for starter plants?

1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly