Hi, I am seeking a mentor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by historystudent2009, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

2. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

What’s wrong with her having some skinny dude’s legs as her avatar?

3. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

i was kinda wondering how you got that it was a girl when the avatar has a guys legs . maybe it's a multiple gender preper. all the same i wasn't gonna send them any pm's i just talk on the forums if they can't get the info they need here then they don't need it.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Bingo Righthand..applies to all the requests we've seen recently the info is here,it will do no good to"train" if they are not willing toeven research on the internet. there are no 100% right book answers to learn. Nobody knows exactly what we are going to be up against, so specifics are meaningless. Overall Its's a "self-dependant"/self-preservation mindset without hurting your fellowman.Like the airlines say" put the mask on yourself first".
    Forthe mechanics of Firearms physical (handson)training I agree ask at a range or gunshop. Good luck with the family thing, perhaps you can reason abit with them. Used to be I'd reccommend: "Theres always the U.S.,military( they're always hiring.)" but no longer.

5. I appreciate the advice I have been getting. I will try not to be so anxious, and I know there are no quick fixes. I have been reading and looking up terms, I was talking about things like carbines and model numbers and other technical stuff. I am figuring it out though. I just feel really uncertain about the future, I thought I was toning it down, but I guess I wasn't. I just turned 27 and I can prove it if I have to, I am almost done with college, and I should really get over the family thing. I know that. I kind of feel like everyone here really knows their stuff, and I don't have a clue. I am really learning a lot and I will try to avoid stupid mistakes.

6. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I wouldn't worry too much about making stupid mistakes when posting right now. We all make them, and I've made a career of them. Making mistakes can offer you some great learning opportunities.

Learn the basics and you will be better off then 90% of the public. It's taken most of us 20+ years to learn what we know, and it can't be done over night.

Go to www.backwoodshome.com and purchase "The Whole Shebang"

Ecology Action has three great sustainable farming/gardening books that save you a lot of money and time.

Don't be tempted by anyone to break any laws. You neednt break a single law to learn what you need to know. Use logic and linear thinking.

jim

7. Jim2, very cool website. I am reading it now.

8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have been following this thread for a few days. HS2009, you have made your first post on a site that is home to people who have taken years to get to know each other. I, for one, have told few people much about myself. Those that I have told something are Admins and Moderators who I have known since the inception of the site. I have met, after 5 years or so, 5 people face to face from this site. I have had offers to meet others, but have not done so because I simply don't know them. Privacy is the place to start.

So, if you really want to learn how to save yourself, here is my suggestion:

1. Read the following threads starting with the stickies from the last post to the first. You will be able to learn. You are in College so you can make the time. http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    2. after you have read all of these items, call an NRA instructor in your area. You can find them on the NRA website (that is , National Rifle Association). Take a few lessons on the handguns the provide. Most will have guns you can try so you can see what you cand handle and you will be taught by a professional
    3. Prepping is simple. You spend $20 bucks a week on canned food beyond what you normally spend. This gets saved someplace so your dumbass roommates don't eat it after a night of ganja fun
    4. You get booklets of the constitution and bill of rights. Restudy them for yourself. Study them in the context of our constitutional framers. What did they say about guns and the rights of men to own them?
    5. Then you educate your parents. If they don't like it, then tough shit. Grow some balls and act like a man. Hiding behind fear of your parents thoughts is stupid. What the hell were they, hippies? Peace, love, and get your ass raped or killed for not recognizing your rights. The first amendment will only last as long as the second amendment.
    6. Don't ask people to 'meet' and teach over the internet. You asking to get hurt, killed, etc. Look what happened to the news guy in new york when he met someone from Craigslist....brutally murdered. This is the internet. You want facebook friends then find them on facebook and keep them there.

One almost final note. If you are who you say you are, great. You can learn much. But your method of making your first post without getting to know anything, anyone on this board makes some people nervous. Much of what you need to know is already in the treads mentioned above. Making a post like this is similar to a hot chick with big tits and lots of cleavage showing walking into a bar and being surprised that people are focusing on her "assets" rather than her brains.

So, read the threads. When you have a question about one of the threads, make a post. You will get the answers you need there and it will help other new people find information, too, since the threads will show up. You will have much more credibility on this site if you do that.

And the final note: If you are a DHS/ATF/FBI/CIA/Blackwater imposter you need to go back to school or find another career. No brownshirts necessary on this peace loving forum so, if you aren't who you say you are, pack your little SS ass up and get the **** out of our forum.

Love,

Clyde

9. Clyde, I will keep reading and try to learn as much as I can before I gain some hands on knowledge this summer. I got a pm that really explained things and ways for me to learn about these things away from home without costing a lot of money. I won't talk about specific things since it was a private message, but I think I understand peoples point of view a lot better. I want you to know that I am very serious about this, and I really would like to find a mentor if I can, but at least I have some low cost ways of learning things. I kind of have a different opinion about some things, I didn't really think the government would care about these forums, but I totally respect if you have a different opinion. I don't want to start a debate here though about this stuff. I really am just a college student who sucked on the job market and is really worried about the economy and things going on in the world. Also, in case anyone was wondering why I am graduating when I am 27, I went part time for a few years and I also helped support my family for a while too because of things I don't want to talk about here right now. I know I might trust people too much, I will try to work on that. Also, you are right about my roomates. They really suck and they don't take school very seriously, and they really have parties like that too, like tonight. At least they leave me alone when they are all messed up. I really don't care about that stuff if they just didn't turn up the tv during the week when I try to sleep. Also, yes, my parents were hippies. I don't agree with everything they believe in though.

10. mrrk1562

mrrk1562 Monkey+++

do you know how to plant veggies ..thats a real good place to start if you cant eat you cant shoot .. ever think about joining a branch of the service ..marines are good about teaching.. some of the best shooters are women marines.. ..then there is the air force they even allow women snipers ..pay very good mind to the above posters ..

11. Clyde

HS2009

You need to understand what/who you are dealing with on the internet. Too many nutcases out there willing to help someone that screams for help. You are asking for trouble and the grand opportunity to be raped/killed, etc. If you choose to meet anyone from the web that you don't know, have never met, be prepared for the consequences. You start by working with people you know and then branch off from there. For instance, there has to be someone in your past history that your parents thought were nuts because they loved guns (sick bastards that we are!) and you could approach them about learning to shoot, guns, etc, and then see if they are worried about the future and maybe say you are trying to figure out how to get prepared for the bad times and see where that leads. A person like this will be much better to learn from because they will want to turn you to the darkside and make you love the freedom that guns provide: confidence & the opportunity to practice situational awareness.

A blanket add all over the net is just an invitation for trouble.

The majority of the answers you need for immediate preparations are in the threads I noted. Here are a few:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4615
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3780
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3366
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2725
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/sf_faq.html
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3 Read this story

You want to feel comfortable about guns, get the facts so you can discuss with your parents from a point of knowledge, not "feelings":

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6648

OK. That's a start.

Download and read the PDF

And, if you need to waylay your worries, visit the Beer Tent thread and taste some of the smattering of good drinks.

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Rude, Insulting,combative but seemingly necessary rant follows:
    [dunno]:oops:

13. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

well to me i wouldn't ask people to pm you with info this forum is an open forum with all the info you need there is no need to be asking for pm's on info . when someone comes into a place and ask for something like that it sets off a big alarm atleast it does in most of us.if you want to learn then sit back start posting and join the crowd but drop the asking for pm's everyone here is way more than willing to help out but why ask for private help ??? my son was molested he was raped over 20 times not by an internet stalker but a next door neighbor the only reason the guy is still alive is because murder is ilegal. not all of us are perfect typers me being one of them i for one would hate to tye something and someone take it out of contex and say i said something i didn't mean so i think we should all just keep things out in the open so everyone can read that way everyone can say well he didn't say that or this or what ever. i hope you don't take this wrong it's just you popped up in here with a advatar with some legs in it asking for pm's from everyone??? when the normal person would have just plain asked for advice out in the open.

15. Clyde

Ok. Dead Horse Has Been Beaten.

16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Lock it up Dano - oops, you may be too young to understand the reference.

17. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

I vote for a lock.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

with Kam Fong as Chin Ho...( what's the difference?)
    Had my say...locks would be o.k with me....
    hope I didn't over step speaking for others here.
    I'm for keeping a watch on the screen door ,next thing you we find little "mabus pellets" in the corners of the cabinets.

" Dawkins your a dead man..."

stiffed me outa one million dollars"!!!

"Gotta Nip it Andy; nip it in the bud..."

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

All done put a fork in it.
    BeatDeadHorse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7