Hi, I'm New Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sand Spyder, Oct 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome here.

Sand Spyder likes this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You're the second new monkey from the southwest to join us in the last two days. Seems to be a little bit of a concentration in this neck of the "woods".
    It's a good thing.

Sand Spyder likes this.
  3. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Most people out here have no interest in survival. Thats why there are so many stories of hunters and hikers getting lost and having to be rescued at great cost of man power and finances. About half the people I've talked to have no idea what a survival kit is. A few have said "That's why I have a smart phone." I'm still waiting to find out how a smart phone will help them start a fire as they wait for rescue or wander around looking for a signal.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If you don't mind destroying the phone, it CAN start a fire by shorting out the battery with a jumper wire or steel wool.

Sand Spyder likes this.
  5. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Hmmm I hadn't considered that Kellory. Personally I'd rather be a cheapskate and carry matches and other fire making tools and tinder. I did try the gum wrapperand AA battery trick. All I burned were my fingers where I was pressing the foil to the contact points. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

kellory likes this.
  6. kellory

Yes.;)

Sand Spyder likes this.
  7. kellory

There is a thread here that shows the proper method. However, it boils down to this.....you want it thin where you want heat, and thick where your fingers are. Cut in an hour glass shape, and put your tinder at the thinest part.

Sand Spyder likes this.
  8. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

I dont remember if I did that or not, but Ill try it again, like you advise, Thanks!

kellory likes this.
  9. kellory

It gets burning got because of current passing through the thinnest part, at the same rate as through the thickest part, which also dissipates the heat better. The thicker the wire, the more current it can handle WITHOUT heating up.
    You can get good results with the graphite core of a pencil, and with steel wool as well.

Sand Spyder likes this.
  10. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

I knew about steel wool. The gum wrapper idea I got from watching Orange Is The New Black. Prisoners aren't allowed to have lighters so they were using gum wrappers to light cigarettes. Wire I've only seen in a survival manual but they were using a car battery.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The trick to using Gum Wrappers is to tear them so there is a smaller strip in the middle, and bigger Strips on both ends, where the Battery contact is made. This allows the ends, to conduct the Current without heating up as much as the thinner Strip in the middle, which will heat up more, and burst into flame.

Ganado and Tobit like this.
  12. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Thanks BTPost. Because space is so limited in an Altoids tin would you have any idea how small a battery will work? I was using a AA as I remember, but a button type battery would be more compact and and I have spares for my flashlight in there.

13. kellory

A nine vt works well with steel wool, and wrappers. You might try a 23A (smaller than a AAA, and 12vt)

14. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Thanks for the information Kellory. I'll look into that as a 9 volt would be to large.

kellory likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly