Hi Point handguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Feb 18, 2006.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Has nay one had any experience with the newer Hi Point handguns? I know a friend just got one and it waasnt bad other than needing a trigger job to lighten the pull and they are really afordable. I owned a gun from them about 10 years ago and it was NOT impressed as it jammed constantly but the one she got wasnt bad and they also have an impressive guarantee on them that they will do any repairs for life no questions asked free no matter if you are the original owner or have it third hand or whatever. I am going to be getting my CCW permit soon and will be looking for a new carry gun that I can actualy afford and was just wondering if anyone had hands on experience with these.

2. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Friends don't let friends buy Hi-Piont pistols. Then again go ahead [afro]

3. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

I have two both .45 autos one is the older jh it has 5000 rds thru it no problems the other is a jhp 1000 rounds thru it no problems and what I think is the best warrenty if it breaks for any reason they fix it no charge . [woot]

4. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nephew had one years ago made for nice practice clearing jams .

I would rather have a nice RIA 1911 for $350 .

5. drafter

drafter Monkey+++

For CCW, how are you going to "conceal" a Hipoint? Those things are freakin huge! For under $500 you can get a Springfield Armory GI 1911-A1 in a compact barrel configuration, if a .45 is what you have your heart set on, or you can find a nice little easily concealable Makarov in 9X18 for around $200. I think the Hipoints would be great for a plinker, but for CCW I think I'd find something else.

6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Drafter is right, they are huge. RIA makes a compact for about 400.00 [m1911.org] I got a 200 round SA GI Champ for 385.00. I love it. Same warranty as Hi Point but a top tier weapon. I would not bet my life on the H/P.

7. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

I have not had a High Point only because I have had 2 friends that made the mistake of buying one. This is truly one area where you get what you pay for.

I have a Rock Island Armory Officers model 1911 that I bought for CCW. I paid $325 new. They are available and are very reliable. Look at the 1911 Forum on the web and look at the section called other 1911's, I believe that it is at the bottom of the forum page. I researched quite a bit before I bought mine, the service manager for them is a forum member and everyone raves about how helpful he is.

It is a little heavy for a CCW, but is not bad if you use a small of back holster, or a cross draw is my favorite. Another option of a good inexpensive CCW is the Rossi .357 revolver. You can shoot either .357 Magnum or .38 Special out of it depending on your comfort level. A stainless 2" revolver can be bought for around $275. Mine will fit in the front pocket of my jeans and no one can really tell.

I really think you will be disapointed in the High Power, they are not inexpensive, they are cheap, there is a difference.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

i think I will be looking for something else and most likely smaller if I can find and afford it, but even if they are huge, so am I. lol My curent CCW piece is a Rossi .357 revolver with a 4" barrel that I just stick in a back pocket and have never been noticed even when I should have drawn a lot of attention, like going to town to grab a bite after butchering still covered in blood. lol

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7