Hiccups

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by hot diggity, Feb 27, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I hate them. I very rarely have them anymore, but I've had to go to the emergency room when I had them for 48 hours in the past. Unrelevting hiccups for that long are miserable and definitely something to be avoided. That episode required medication to finally stop them.

Since then I've found that on the rare occasions when I do get hiccups, I can make them go away by starving them of oxygen. I first take a deep breath and hold it as long as possible. Tonight that was 13 hiccups while holding my breath. Then I blow that breath out until there is nothing left to blow out, before drawing in another breath and holding it as I repeat the process. Usually within 2-3 breaths like this the hiccups will go away.

Meat, Alanaana, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have found that with me, deep controlled breathing abates the hiccups. But, i become annoyed after only one and cannot imagine 13!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Meat and Alanaana like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I get the hiccup's when I would get drunk as snot followed by a strong craving for waffle house, Shoney's, what-a-burger, taco bell food.
    I no longer care to drink much panther Wizz.

Meat, Dunerunner, Alanaana and 2 others like this.
  4. Srchdawg-again

Srchdawg-again Monkey++

My wife swears that a 1/2 cup of water covered with a paper towel then drinking through the towel cures'em Worked for the kids and G.kids. I've seen her do it for forty years.

SB21, Gator 45/70, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I haven’t had hiccups in years. If I get them after reading this thread, it’s supernatural stuff.

SB21, Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I was in high school I had the hiccups and a girl friend said, give them to me, so I said take them, and they were gone. I kept expecting them to come back but never did.
    I have used this method many times and the only time it doesn't work is when people lack the imagination to respond as I did.
    Words have power.

SB21, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Geez! She wasn't wearing a pointy hat and parked her broom nearby, did she? "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble..." :)

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

NO she actually was Morman.
    As I said, I've used this means to help others free them self of hiccups.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Man, those dang Mormons think of everything….[lolol]

Bandit99, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Damn! If it worked for hiccups maybe it will work for hangovers? We might be onto a billion-dollar industry here! :)

SB21 likes this.
  11. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Sometime hiccups makes you more trouble and tension. Drinking a glass of water will stop hiccups sometimes. I try this simple trick whenever I got hiccups.

12. 4x4

4x4 In the Basket of Deplorables

I have a remedy that I know will sound nuts but it works for me. Take a cup of water in one hand and place your thumb and forefinger along your jawline to the sides of your trachea. With slow even pressure squeeze inward with your thumb and forefinger. Breathe in very carefully through your nose while sipping a constant small amount of water. After a few seconds of this they should disappear. I know it sounds nuts but it works.

Zimmy and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7