Hidden Ammo at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mechwolf, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

For some reason my local Wal-marts don't put out some of the ammo on the shelves.It always appears that the .223 ammo is sold out. Luckily one of the nice ladies in the sporting goods dept. told me there is always plenty of stock under the counter. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this phenomenon. Now when I go in always ask to see the under counter stock and they seem amazed that I know that it is there.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Same for Remington shotshells in the 100 packs...they have Federal and a LOT of Winchester out all over the place, BUT, I have to specifically ask for the Remington shells! Maybe they have an overstock on some brands and are trying to sell them out first? On the .223's I have no idea!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

They may also have some 'in back'. My experience has been the cashiere in Sporting Goods has NO knowledge of the products, and generally knows more about the housewares or ladies clothing departments.

Gator 45/70 and tulianr like this.
  4. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

They do that at our local wal mart too. The sporting goods manager told me it is because they wont break up bulk packs as those that shoot bolt action rifles or one day at the trap field want, they keep bulk packs as bulk packs for people who use semi autos and shoot skeet/trap a lot. Not sure how true it is but any time I havent seen .223 ammo out, I have asked and they brought me a fresh bulk pack so I aint questioning it.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I see a new thread here....
    Worst advice you've ever heard in a gun shop/academy/wal mart...etc...etc...

6. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I'm betting they want to have their cake and eat it too. That is, they want to reap the profits from selling ammo, but don't want to be seen as overtly pro-gun. Remember how a lot of them quit selling firearms and ammo a few years ago? Go figure, it hurt their bottom line. Now, they seem to be trying to straddle the fence.

7. Seawolf1090

I was buying a .22 rifle once at my local Wally's. They were training a gal to work the Sporting Goods area - she blatantly REFUSED to touch the gun to do the paperwork! The manager sent her back to another section of the store. That was weird.....

Ever since they expanded this store into a "Super Walmart", it's really gone down hill. When it was smaller, there were a couple guys working the area who actually knew their way around guns, hunting and fishing gear. Those days are gone. Guns are a fraction of what they used to have, and the large wide shelves of ammo are now down to one smallish glass front cabinet.
    I seldom go there any more - just when I really NEED something NOW, and there's no other place to get it or no time for mail order.

8. helmetmike

helmetmike Monkey+

If you have a complaint about the employees lacking knowledge, tell the manager. They cannot fix it if someone doesn't tell them. If they do not fix it, then move on to another store. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I told a clerk do us both a favor and lose the attitude or call the manager. :D

10. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

Surprised this thread got to 9 posts without someone just giving the obvious answer--- SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNSHOP! and you won't have any of these problems.

Cephus and BTPost like this.
  11. Seawolf1090

Gunshop prices are usurious here. Not a good option. Thank goodness for Internet Mailorder.

Moatengator and jim2 like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Try going in early in the morning, when they aren't busy. Ask the Walmart sporting goods clerk if he could get a dolly and fetch you a few cases of ammo from the back.

You might be surprised how much they can drag out of the back. ;)

HD

13. Shh! your giving away the secret.

Back when zero got elected and you supposedly could not find .45 ACP I went to the local wallmart. No .45 acp on the shelf, sorry we are out.

I don't want a box, I want case lots. Fellow said let him check, in a minute he comes back we have 5 of them.

Me OK i'll take em.

Should have seen the look on his face when I took all five cases. :)

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yeah, they got a tad bit excited once when I bought 10 boxes of the Federal 550ct boxes of .22lr stuff! Then they tried to refuse to sell me 10 of their 100ct Remington 12 gauge "sports loads"...Got that taken care of when I demanded to see the manager....He is not happy with me! Kinda like oil and water.....we just don't mix well! Seems after I contacted the home office after the store bilked me 2x on bipods( on sale) which they claimed the on sale tags were put on the wrong items.....2x in 2 different months...Manager found a NEW job elsewhere.
    There were a LOT of complaints on that type of activity under his management...Now no problems.....!

15. Seawolf1090

At my local Wally's, I once bought five 20-round boxes of Rem/UMC .223Rem and two 550-round boxes of Federal .22LR. The dingbat behind the counter asked meif I was "stocking up for war"!
    Her eyes got wide as I said, "No, this will get me through the weekend!"

They seem to think anything more than one box of anything is a huge amount! ;)

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have had to explain I run a shooting lodge 150 miles out of town, when I stock up on ammo or foods! That helps! I used to drag my son and a couple high school friends with me when I went food shopping...they wondered why I was buying $600 and more on canned foods and so forth...the boys were a great blind, as I explained they were part of a scouting group that we took up north for 3 months during the summer!
    That used to work....now the boys are in their 20's and I had to switch to a hunting and shooting lodge excuse! So far, so good!

gunbunny likes this.
  17. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

A week after 9/11 I was in a local shop buying a case of 5.56, and a nosey old phart "customer" asked really loud so as to embarass me; "Whaddya gettin ready for, a war?!!"

All eyes turned to me and I nonchalantly said; Ain't no fool like an old fool while I gave him the look. He turned red and walked off.

I too buy ammo at Wallyworld, as it is affordable, and everyone except Academy is ruinous for standard caliber prices.
    jim

18. divadmas

divadmas Monkey+

local walmart ammo prices are not that good compared to online.
    i still have a case of birdshot that was $2.50/box. now its over$6/box only 5 or so years later.

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Shhh...Repack your own Vampire/Zombie SST loads...
    ammo 002.JPG

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good start. (I see you like the same stuffed pretzel nubs I like.)

(y)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7