Hidden Antennas for HOA restrictions (Part 1 & 2)

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by melbo, Feb 27, 2016.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If the chimney wasn't in the middle of the roof, I could hide a j-pole on the upslope side and be invisible from the ground, but no way to feed it invisibly. May still do it that way though.
    Problem lies with not knowing enough to know what my options SHOULD be.
    Pitch of the roof is 12/12 (45°) which also means a 90° at the underside of the peak. I have galvanized electric fence wire, bell wire, music wire, but no clear idea of what I would need to design. Current radio is 2 meter and 70cm only, baofeng uv-3r.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@kellory
    A magnetic loop is a lot more complex and more importantly expensive than a sloper, fan dipole and others.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/pg29d1a.gif

The down-lead is an important component. As is a good station ground; no one appreciates RF in the shack. .

Slopers are directional:
    http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/sloper.gif

A vertical piece of wire from the ground to the peak of your roof, a tuner and a few radials and you're on the air for the a lot less $$. Plus it's pretty stealthy.

3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Throw a line over the roof on one side of the chimney, go around and pitch it back on the other side of the chim. Back slope is then usable. Still, the j-pole needs to be hung as close to vertically as possible, but might work OK on the 45deg angle you have. Or, rope it up to the gutter, and let it hang. EZ up and down for wind wiggles.

5. kellory

[​IMG] this is a similar structure house. (Google pic) how would you do a Stealth antenna here. Flagpole would be about the same location as the tree.

6. kellory

I installed the roof, I have the ladders to install what I will, where I will. I just don't want it known that it is there.

7. ghrit

I don't much care how you get the rope around the chimney. A suggested anchor for hanging something is all I was after. You want to climb, use a drone, throw it, whatever, go your own way. Point is you can use the anchor point for several options, you do the study and pick your fave, then go for it.

8. kellory

Never use a chimney as an anchor point for something with a lot of pull, they collapse well enough on Thier own ;) if I use the chimney at all, it would be on the uphill slope and hidden from the ground.
    I do not plan to discuss what I have installed, because I do not care for argument or backseat driving. (It iratates me, while I'm working) it will be a feat accomplished when it is noticed, and the neighbors should never notice.
    Very few know I am a ham at all.

9. kellory

I have a surveyor's transom, and tripod stand, PVC pipe is easy and cheap. I COULD easily raise a portable antenna for temp use, in the backyard, but I do not choose to advertise the fact I am a ham.
    And since I am incity, all these hanging do-dads would be seen and noted.
    I'm looking for a stealth/ no maintenance kind of answer.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

For VHF or UHF just climb the tree, place antenna, drop the coax to the ground behind the trunk and use Belden mil spec so it can be buried.

As their wave length is short; you don't have to climb very high.

11. kellory

How high? And why not do that inside the flagpole?

12. ghrit

Understood about horizontal loading on chimneys. Case extant, a light weight wire or 550 cord right at the roof line will keep it limited from vision. Bell wire won't exactly overload the stack even if you tie it on high enough to clear the roof snow load..
    No such thing, partner. Make it easy to maintain is the best you can hope for.

Me go now.

kellory likes this.
  13. kellory

Thanks for your insights.

14. ghrit

Gee. Weakness in chimney detected. Must reinforce with stainless steel bands ==

kellory likes this.
  15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As high as you feel safe climbing and are willing to buy coax to reach your transmitter. As VHF and UHF attenuates a lot more than HF; buy the good low loss stuff. Belden is more expensive; however, it survives being buried.
    http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

16. kellory

That is kinda what I had in mind, with a possible j-pole on the hidden side. Or possibly a loaded antenna like what a CD would use, but run vertically through the flagpole. Completely unknown.
    Edit: there have been two chimneys collapse on this street already. Neighborhood is more than 50 years old.

17. kellory

any opinions on something like this? i think this would fit inside the flagpole.

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Or at the TOP, of a 40' piece of Shed 80 PVC Pipe standing vertical, out of a Square Yard of QuickCreate....
    With the Coax tuning down the inside as well as a single Strand of Number 10 Stranded Copper Wire... Put a few Radials in the ground around the Base, and use one of the many AutoTunes, to feed the Wire as a Marconi Verticle HF Antenna... Oh, Yea put a Pulley at the Top of the PVC Pipe, for the Flag Rope...

19. kellory

No way I can do 40' of PVC, concrete base and all. I have an existing flagpole made of chain link topcap (I will measure it) but topcap comes in 20' lengths with about 3' in the ground. The idea is to be invisable.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The ""Idea" is to make the ANTENNAS, invisible, to the HOA, NOT the Flag Pole....Especially one that Flies the US & State Flags....

1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4
  9. DKR
  10. SB21
  11. Bandit99
  12. sdr