High-Protein Diet 'Risky as Smoking' for Middle-Aged

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by tulianr, Mar 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Good news and bad news for meat lovers: People who eat a diet high in protein in middle age are a staggering four times more likely to die of cancer than people on a low-protein diet, according to new research, but people over 65 who consumed more protein were less likely to die of cancer.

The study, which tracked 6,000 people over 18 years, found that people between 50 and 65 with a diet rich in animal protein were 75% more likely to die of any cause over the study period as well as much more likely to die of cancer, Scientific American reports. But for the elderly, higher protein intake helped fight off frailty.

"Your stage in life matters," the lead researcher tells the Los Angeles Times. "Some have said for years that proteins are bad. That’s half right and half wrong."

The researchers believe the link between protein consumption and cancer is related to a growth hormone stimulated by high protein consumption, reports LiveScience. The source of protein mattered for the middle-aged people studied, with the risk of cancer going down steeply in those who consumed mainly plant-based proteins instead of animal proteins, though the beneficial effects of protein for the elderly weren't affected by the source.

High-Protein Diet 'Risky as Smoking' for Middle-Aged - But effects were reversed among over-65s

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

[​IMG]

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am surprised our Primal people haven't chimed in on this. Though I do find that these new studies do tend to reverse their findings a few years down the road.

VHestin and Tracy like this.
  4. Falcon15

I just did.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You're a Primal diet person?

Falcon15 likes this.
  6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm a primal/paleo person. I could care less what some "study" thinks.

A study said eggs were bad, then they were good.
    A study said alcohol was bad then an occasional drink was ok, then it was ok in moderation.

If you create a study to look for something, you'll generally find it.

Really, 75% were more likely to die of any cause. So, getting killed in a car accident is now linked to a high protein diet?

Eating large amounts of meat, cheese may be as deadly as smoking, study shows | Fox News
    what's not mentioned is if the hamburger, or other forms of animal protein, were from sources where growth hormone is used to get more meat to market faster. Because what the animals have in them, either by ingesting or by shots, will be in you when you eat them.

Just like if you like to eat some glyphosate with your food, because when food is "round-up ready" you know that the soil is drenched in the stuff and the plants will absorb it.

Really? because those on a high protein diet are usually eating less refined and processed foods which would lower diabetes risks. The first sentence says it all, they found what they were looking for.

7. Falcon15

Yes, I am. I also want to say the following:

8. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I'll keep eating high protein diet no carb diet. Studies are paid for by someone and they want the results that they paid for.

9. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will NOT give up meat! Especially steak and bacon. I love meat. Bad researchers!!!

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

They can have my meat, when they pry my...cold ...dead.....hands......."........from it.... That didn't come out right hahaha

mason78, RightHand, Yard Dart and 7 others like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Good news, bad news. Studies show/prove with twins as a control group that PTSD caused death from heart attacks as well as the other common cause of death of arterial disease aka clogged arteries. Good news, we can, if you live long enough, prevent the heart disease effects caused by PTSD.

Nothing happens in a vacuum!

Yard Dart and Falcon15 like this.
  12. Falcon15

[lolol][lolol][lolol]

Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  13. Snake_Doctor

Was that a Freudian slip Quigley? What was the caliber of Matt Quigleys Sharps? .45x?

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

52 cal.

15. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

The high protein diet is coupled with high fat. This is different than most high protein diets. I have determined, based upon research, that not matter what I eat-- high fat, high protein, vegetarian, vegan -- I am fucked. Therefore, I choose meat & fat. I have tons of veggies on my high protien/high fat diet, but limit the sugar veggies/fruits. The result is that I am happy, have a regular insulin flow, and don't crave anything. I am happy with that.

16. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Time for a tequila, soda, lime, salt concoction!

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  17. Snake_Doctor

In the movie it was .45 by something. The name Quigley got me to wondering what it was. The kid gunfighter I write about has a .45-150 on his saddle. Just looked. It was a .45-110

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  18. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

"If you create a study to look for something, you'll generally find it."

This, tru dat!

I know that there is a title for this type of flawed logic, but I can't remember what it is. However, the fact remains that hundreds of thousands of people have already proven this study is wrong.

19. Finster

Finster Simplify, I'd say more but this says it all.

Oh and a study just last month "concluded" that butter is GOOD for you... What say the margarine fans? I swore off margarine 35 years ago. Im not giving up meat protein until it kills me. Sugar is the real untested killer in this country, worse than asbestos and tobacco combined. Yet somehow every study says we should "use less" but no study has ever said eliminate it completely. :mad: Could it be that the sugar/corn syrup lobby is funding all the studies much the same way that the oil/chem industry funded all the environmental studies and delayed removing lead from gas for over 40 years. Now the same industry has us forcefully adding Ethanol to gas, for the sole purpose if making cars less efficient.:mad:
    Im mad as hell and Im not going to take it anymore... [banghead]
    [kneelsuckers]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  20. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Butter and margarine are not the same.

CaboWabo5150 and Yard Dart like this.
  1. jefferson
  2. jefferson
  3. DarkLight
  4. Hillbilly549
  5. 3M-TA3