Hike in the Mountains

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Clyde, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

This weekend I had a great day hike with my son in the mountains. Finally got out for a day of fun. Saw elk, eagles, hawks, falcons, and maybe a moose (according to my son).
    IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0009.

2. Clyde

A couple more shots
    IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0008.PNG IMG_0021.PNG

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Looks like a great trip. Still trying to get myself freed from the chains of unpacking for this weekend.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Great trip, awesome pictures looks like home to me.

5. Clyde

Yes. My son wants to go on an overnight trip now. So, I ordered a tent from moosejaw.com where there was a 20% discount. Ordered the Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3 man. Now I need to get a sleeping for myself and a few other items. I think we will sleep in the tent once it arrives. Start in the backyard first and get used to outdoor sleeping.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Great pics!

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Go for Western Mountaineering Down bags. You only have to buy them once.

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Beautiful area!

Thanks for sharing!

9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

After setting your tent up go over EVERY seam inside and out with "seam sealer". After that sets for about an hour hit it liberally with "Camp Dry" or any good Silicon spray. Let it dry and hit it lightly again. Be sure to do the bottom "tub" as well. My sons and I got caught in a bad downpour while on a hike at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. Everyone's gear got soaked but out tent did not leak a drop. Preparation is the key to a dry "home". Oh yes, never touch the tent with your fingers when raining or it will leak there. The oils in your skin will let the moisture come right through the fabric. We always put a ground cloth down and make sure it is just under the edge of the tent. Protects the floor and keeps moisture out. I cut a thick piece of polyethylene sheathing that fits perfectly. I like to pitch my tent facing East when ever possible. That way I can open the flaps and get the early morning sun to help warm up.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7