Civics History as teacher or Echos from the distant past

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by DKR, Dec 11, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Specifically the Roman Praetorian Guard.
    The short history - Praetorian Guard - Wikipedia

Money quote
    "With the republic's transition into the Roman Empire, however, the first emperor, Augustus, founded the Guard as his personal security detail. Although they continued to serve in this capacity for roughly three centuries, the Guard became notable for its intrigue and interference in Roman politics, to the point of overthrowing emperors and proclaiming their successors.

At one point they auctioned off the seat for Emperor. .

Nothing lasts forever, even corruption.and an Empire.
    During the early 4th century, Caesar Flavius Valerius Severus attempted to disband the Praetorian Guard on the orders of Galerius. In response, the Praetorians turned to Maxentius, the son of the retired emperor Maximian, and proclaimed him their emperor on 28 October 306. By 312, however, Constantine the Great marched on Rome with an army in order to eliminate Maxentius and gain control of the Western Roman Empire, resulting in the Battle of the Milvian Bridge.

Ultimately, Constantine's army achieved a decisive victory against the Praetorians, whose emperor was killed during the fighting. With the death of Maxentius, Constantine definitively disbanded the remnants of the Praetorian Guard. The remaining soldiers were sent out to various corners of the empire, and the Castra Praetoria was dismantled in a grand gesture inaugurating a new age in Roman history and ending that of the Praetorians.

more follows

the

HK_User likes this.
  2. DKR

Okay, by now you are rolling your eyes... I get that, but stick with me, eh?

CIA Kennedy assassination conspiracy theory - Wikipedia
    Now, do I have your attention?

Bush as Director of Central Intelligence — Central Intelligence Agency
    "George H.W. Bush’s tenure as Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) marked a turning point for the Agency as it came out of a period of great controversy. He is credited with restoring focus and boosting morale, and he remains one of the most beloved directors in the Agency’s history."
    Soon after - the VP....then, the Prez.

How does one become the head of the CIA?
    The Director is a civilian or a General/Flag Officer of the Armed Forces nominated by the President of the United States, with the recommendation from the DNI, and must be confirmed by a majority vote of the United States Senate.

Who has run the CIA and who appointed them?
    A Look Back … Directors of Central Intelligence — Central Intelligence Agency
    interesting list and the list stops in 2005.

so, here is the rest
    Former Directors of the Central Intelligence Agency
    Porter Goss
    - September 24, 2004-May 5, 2006
    - Appointed by George W. Bush.
    - Military Career - US Army intelligence officer
    - Other Experience - clandestine service officer with the CIA; Sanibel, Florida, City Councilman, Mayor, Lee County Commission Chairman; Florida Congressman; Chairman, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
    Michael Hayden
    - May 30, 2006-February 13, 2009
    - Appointed by George W. Bush.
    - Military Career - General, US Air Force
    Leon Panetta
    - February 13, 2009-June 30, 2011
    - Appointed by President Barack Obama.
    - Military Career - Captain, US Army
    - Other Experience - Chief of Staff; California Representative; Chairman, House Committee on the Budget; Director, Office of Management and Budget
    - July 1, 2011-February 2013 - Secretary of Defense.
    David Petraeus
    - September 6, 2011-November 2, 2012
    - Appointed by Obama.
    - Military Career - Commander, US Central Command (CentCom); Commander, US forces in Afghanistan (USFOR-A) and NATO International Security Assistance Force (ISAF)
    John Brennan
    - March 8, 2013-January 20, 2017
    - Appointed by Obama.
    - Career - joins the CIA in 1980; Chief of Staff, CIA; Deputy Executive Director, CIA; Director of Terrorist Threat Integration Center, CIA; CEO, The Analysis Corporation
    Mike Pompeo
    - January 23, 2017-April 26, 2018
    - Appointed by Trump
    - Military Career - US Army (1986-1991)
    - Other Experience - Thayer Aerospace, founder and CEO; Sentry International, president; US Representative from Kansas (2011-2017); Secretary of State (2018-present)

HK_User likes this.
  3. DKR

The wrap up

Seen on the web lately
    "Pentagon planning to withdraw support for most CIA counter-terror missions - CNNPolitics (DoD to cut support)

Retired three-star falsely claims US soldiers died attacking a CIA facility in Germany tied to fraud | Daily Mail Online

now, the claim from SOF command is that the soldiers didn't died in a battle with the CIA is bogus - NOT that a battle took place in the first place (yeah, crazy stuff & likely all BS. Likely)

CIA-Backed Rebels at War With DOD-Backed Rebels
    There are many more stores of the CIA vs DoD - either via proxies or head to head.

All of this makes me wonder - is the CIA now the new version of the Roman Praetorian Guard?

I'd like to hear your take.

And yes, it is a slow Friday for me...

Dont and HK_User like this.
  4. DKR

Thought I would bump this to see if I can get any takers/replies.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7