Hit em with ''Dawn''

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't know if anyone has posted the killing effect's of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on certain insect's but here goes...........
    During the 80's after washing a car with Dawn i threw the soapy water on my lawn....Looked at it 15min. later and earthworm's were on top of the grass wiggling away and after 30min. all were dead ???
    So i thought what the heck,Let's try some on our southern fireant's...
    Mixed a oz. or two with water and poured on the largest ant pile in my yard....Ant's started swarming...so i said the heck with it and went inside...
    The next morning the ant pile looked like a red volcano with dead ant's all around it..
    Mixed up more and hit all of my lovley ant pile's with the same result's...
    Dead ant's and the grass is still green..Good Deal..
    Well now if Dawn wipe's out ant's...Let's try some on the wasp nest around the barn.....Mixed up more Dawn in a 5 gal. bucket...
    Using a 16oz.cup and i went around the barn hitting wasp nest with 16oz. at a time....
    The ever friendly red wasp,yellow jacket's would drop like rock's strait to the ground kick around for a minute or two and then die....
    I have since refine my method of dealing with wasp's...using a pump up 1gal.sprayer
    5 gallon bucket i use about 4-5oz's of Dawn mixed with tap water....
    1 gal. bug sprayer 1-2oz's Dawn mixed with tap water.....
    I have no idea as to my body count using Dawn on insect's but it has to be in the thousand's......

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! Anything that kills lots of bugs, especially ants has my vote! If this works on fire-ants, I will send you my first born child.

Alanaana likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Please ,Give it a shot and no kiddo's for me...lol
    I have 2 grandchildern that i spoil and send home when the diaper's dirty...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You can't have any of my kiddos either, they might resist heartily (both in their 30s.) But if it works and is cheaper than Sevin (what isn't?) I'll give it a go next year or if the buggies come out of hibernation during Indian summer up here.

5. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Soooo...you wash dishes with stuff that kills bugs which resist other poisons?
    ...am I missing something here? Dawn? How about Eclipse?... :D

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Reckon you are bud,
    We also use it to ''chase oil'' or a oil slick on the water...
    BTW, We use the green one...
    Dawn is some B.A.Stuff.....

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It does work on ants. I'd read somewhere that the surface tension of soap and water suffocates them, not necessarily the chemicals in the stuff.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ah well.........at least they die clean......

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Hmmm...... could be a whole lot cleaner and safer than my usual mthodolgy of running a metal rod deep into the antbed, dribbling in some gasoline, then "Nuking them from orbit"...... but that is SO satisfying too. [stirpot]

"WHOOMP!" Ya got a nest full of dead ants.

But that IS hard on the grass.

Wonder if my cheapo Publix brand dish liquid would work?

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I use a bar of lye soap disolved in 5 gallons of hot water... Kills the he double hocky sticks out of fire ants...

11. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Good info, I've got some ants that need some TLC...I guess the new saying is now..."I deal in Dawn boys!"

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Clean 'em out!" [rofllmao]

1. Alanaana
  2. Ganado
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Big Ron
  6. Ura-Ki
  7. VHestin
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado