Hmmmm, Jet fuel burned beam???

Discussion in 'Tin Foil Hat Lounge' started by melbo, Apr 25, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

2. melbo

[​IMG]

In this photo, the column directly above the fireman's helmet shows that it was cut with thermite. There is a substantial amount of hardened molten iron which can be seen on both the inside and outside of the box column. This is precisely what one would expect to find on a column which had been cut with thermite.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Looks Torch cut to me, See the lines on the leading edge? if this is ground zero then they would have been taking scrap out, or this would be buried, and we wouldn’t be able to see it?

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My thoughts, too. It was a LARGE torch tip, probably a scafing tip, as might be used at the end of a demo arm attached to a backhoe. Cut three sides all the way and part way thru the left side. Then pushed to the left, breaking off the two unflamed nubs. (Plus, I don''t think terroists would take the time and material to set the charge on an angle, they would have gone straight across the face. More, thermite would not leave that much slag, it would have burnt off, and no slag at all if C4 or other common demo materials or equal. C4 simply ruptures the metal explosively, no burning involved.)

Interesting theory, tho'. Anybody had a look at Snopes on this one yet? [boozingbuddies]

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My sentiments exactly. It is just a larger version of many, many pieces I have cut.

6. melbo

7. Quigley_Sharps

I dont know M, maybe.... I guess someday we will know, I can see how your thinking is here , and I can go along with it, But I guess we will never know till someone of power lets us know.
    I have to wonder though, why was that base colum cut at a angle? isnt it at the bottom?
    wouldnt it need to be up top to bring it down like it showed in the video?
    This will go down with the JFK shooting.

8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Ground zero smoledered and smoked for months after 9/11

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Never seen what C4 would do to a beam can explosives cut steel like that. :dunno:

It looks like it was cut with a torch

10. melbo

11. B540glenn

B540glenn Should Be Working Founding Member

If that is Ground Zero wouldn't the recovery teams remove/reduce dangerous conditions. Who's to say that there wasn't a large beam getting ready to fall over so they removed it with a torch.

12. melbo

13. Quigley_Sharps

Are we open to discussion and questions and answers here?

14. melbo

Absolutly.

I want to hear any and all opinions and theorys on this. I learn daily

15. Quigley_Sharps

If thermite burns so hot to melt steel how would they keep it at an angle to cut that beam?
    Why wouldn’t it burn un- even or at a level line?

16. melbo

maybe a shaped charge?

SeaCowboys is talking about using some for cutting up some ships.

The thing about the Cutting Torch comments is that all of the Steel I've seen cut with a torch seems to blow the slag away with the pressure. I've never cut steel and had the steel run on me like in that picture.

Dunno. But there is a Hell of a lot of talk about this right now. If they did it, I hope they hang [gone]

17. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I would like to hear and/or see if steel can be cut straight as pictured. The only thing comes to mind that might withstand the temps. involved would be asbestos, ceramic or refractory. Not sure if all of 'em are rated for over 5000 degrees F.

What is used to do a shaped charge? Anybody know?

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

There is no doubt in my mind that this was torch cut. Thermite produces pure molten iron as a result of the exothermic process..iron and slag...both these products rely strictly on gravity to afford them direction of cutting; that's why the thermite ribbon thing on Mission Impossible is just that; impossible, except for cutting very small things. A crucible has to be used to direct the flow of molten metal through the cut, or it will just weld itself closed behind it. That was the purpose of the flowerpot in the video destroying the car.

20. Quigley_Sharps

Thats what I thought Sea.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7