Hog Hunting With The AR-15

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by E.L., Feb 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor Site Supporter+

Just my two cents worth from killing a few ton of hogs here in Florida swamps. Dogs don't track them well in water. Hogs like water. I like the early Muzzleloading gun season. I have shot big hogs broadside to me at 50 to 75 yards with a well placed boiler room hit. 54 cal. thompson center maxi bullets pushed with a 90 grain 2f charge. Also .530 round balls with .020 patch and 120 grain 2f charge. Either one of these loads should put down a buffalo or a big bear. These loads actually knock deer off their feet whether standing or running. Until I ceased taking body shots on large hogs, I wasted a ton of time trying to find them, often without success. Some of you will say, well it was a bad shot, or poor bullet placement. I have no doubt it was a good true hit, and sometimes had a lot of initial blood loss to support that. Even when they stayed on dry ground the blood trail would dry up after a relatively short distance. I switched to shots at under 50 yards on hogs and head shots only. I have never lost a hog or have to look more than a very short number of steps from where it was standing since. 3 inch 12 gauge with 12 number 00 balls is another story completely..... I do believe fat and gore clog the hole(s) on well hit hogs and allow them to run off and die. JMHO ..... YMMV

1. Motomom34
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Bishop
  5. Bishop
  6. Big Ron
  7. OldDude49
  8. Bishop
  9. Zimmy
  10. Andy the Aussie
  11. Andy the Aussie
  12. Asia-Off-Grid