Hog Hunting With The AR-15

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by E.L., Feb 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Just my two cents worth from killing a few ton of hogs here in Florida swamps. Dogs don't track them well in water. Hogs like water. I like the early Muzzleloading gun season. I have shot big hogs broadside to me at 50 to 75 yards with a well placed boiler room hit. 54 cal. thompson center maxi bullets pushed with a 90 grain 2f charge. Also .530 round balls with .020 patch and 120 grain 2f charge. Either one of these loads should put down a buffalo or a big bear. These loads actually knock deer off their feet whether standing or running. Until I ceased taking body shots on large hogs, I wasted a ton of time trying to find them, often without success. Some of you will say, well it was a bad shot, or poor bullet placement. I have no doubt it was a good true hit, and sometimes had a lot of initial blood loss to support that. Even when they stayed on dry ground the blood trail would dry up after a relatively short distance. I switched to shots at under 50 yards on hogs and head shots only. I have never lost a hog or have to look more than a very short number of steps from where it was standing since. 3 inch 12 gauge with 12 number 00 balls is another story completely..... I do believe fat and gore clog the hole(s) on well hit hogs and allow them to run off and die. JMHO ..... YMMV

1. Gator 45/70
  2. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Got pigs?

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Pig_family

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Pigs

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. Alanaana
    But first coffee.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Motomom34
  20. Benjamin A. Wood
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7