Holistic treatments from the Civil War era.

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Minuteman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

The Civil War era was marked by its profound challenges and hardships, which extended beyond the battlefields to impact the lives of civilians as well.

Without modern medical advancements, many individuals turned to nature’s healing powers.

Drawing from the wisdom of the past, let’s delve deeper into the world of natural remedies prevalent during the Civil War era.

Willow Bark for Pain Relief

As the cannons roared and soldiers faced minor and severe injuries, willow bark emerged as a potent remedy for pain relief. This natural analgesic contained salicin, a compound similar to the active ingredient found in aspirin.

Soldiers chewed on willow bark or brewed it into teas to alleviate headaches, muscle aches, and discomfort. The efficacy of this simple remedy showcased the power of plants to ease suffering.

Slippery Elm for Digestive Distress

With unsanitary conditions prevailing on and off the battlefield, digestive problems were rampant.

Slippery elm offered relief as a gruel.

Derived from the inner bark of the slippery elm tree, this gruel was consumed to ease symptoms of diarrhea, heartburn, and gastritis.

Its gentle nature and effectiveness made it a go-to remedy for those battling digestive distress, both on the battlefield and afterward.

Echinacea for Immune Support

For centuries, Native American tribes possessed a profound understanding of the remarkable immune-boosting properties inherent in echinacea. This vibrant flowering plant gained popularity during the Civil War era for its ability to fortify the body’s defenses against illnesses.

Echinacea was consumed in teas or tinctures to alleviate symptoms of colds, flu, and infection. Its enduring reputation as an immune-supporting herb continues to this day. My advice would be to cultivate your own echinacea flowers at home.

This way, you’ll have a constant and accessible supply of their immune-boosting benefits right at your fingertips. You can find here high-quality, NON-GMO echinacea seeds packaged in US.

The Devil’s Walking Stick for Treating Infection and Pain

While many plants were used to treat infection and pain during the Civil War, the Devil’s Walking Stick seemed the most effective and easiest to obtain. Devil’s Walking Stick, a prominent member of the ginseng family, is renowned for its ability to grow up to a height of 30 feet on occasion.

Abundant across much of North America, the Devil’s Walking Stick was a popular treatment during the Civil War. Tincture brewed from the berries of this plant is known to ease the pain from a toothache and help with rheumatic pain. Furthermore, Devil’s Walking Stick has been shown to inhibit the growth and spread of some types of infections, specifically staph infections.

Calendula Salve for Wound Healing

In the absence of modern wound care treatments, soldiers often faced the risk of infection from battle injuries.

Calendula, or marigold, emerged as a vital natural remedy for wound healing.

Its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties make it an ideal ingredient for creating healing salves. Calendula salves were applied to wounds, burns, and skin irritations, promoting faster healing and minimizing infection risk. Get heirloom, non-GMO seeds that have been packaged in the US, and have 2-Year lifetime from here.

Ginger for Nausea and Motion Sickness

The challenges of wartime travel often led to nausea and motion sickness, making long journeys even more arduous.

With its natural anti-nausea properties, ginger emerged as a comforting and reliable remedy to combat these discomforts.

Soldiers and civilians relied on ginger tea or chewed ginger root to ease queasiness and settle their stomachs during journeys. Today, ginger is still a staple for treating an upset stomach and is found in many common medications.

Mustard Plasters for Congestion

Respiratory ailments were a common concern during the Civil War, and mustard plasters were a popular natural remedy to alleviate congestion. A mixture of mustard powder and flour was applied to a cloth and placed on the chest.

This remedy caused the skin to redden and brought relief by stimulating blood circulation and helping to clear congestion.

Cabbage Leaves for Arthritis

For centuries, the use of cabbage in treating arthritis pain has been well-documented.

Cabbage is renowned for its remarkable anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, cabbage proves to be exceptionally beneficial in treating arthritis pain and providing relief from joint discomfort.

One popular treatment method is to create a cabbage leaf wrap and apply it to the affected joint.

Sage for Sore Throats

Sage held a special place as a reliable remedy during the Civil War era.

It was often turned to for its ability to provide comfort and relief, particularly for sore throats. Creating a sage gargle was a common practice – a simple method that involved steeping dried sage leaves in hot water.

This concoction was cherished for its effectiveness in reducing inflammation and soothing the discomfort that accompanied a sore throat. This humble remedy, born from the wisdom of the time, played a valuable role in alleviating the everyday ailments of that era.

Witch Hazel for Skin Irritations

Witch hazel, a plant known for its potent astringent and anti-inflammatory qualities, had long been a favored remedy for soothing an array of skin irritations and discomforts. An infusion of witch hazel leaves or bark was applied topically to alleviate itching, inflammation, and minor wounds.

The Civil War era’s reliance on natural remedies underscores the enduring wisdom of utilizing nature’s offerings for health and well-being. From willow bark to ginger and beyond, these remedies provided relief and comfort in times of immense hardship.

The natural remedies utilized during the Civil War era reflect the resourcefulness and practicality of a time when medical options were limited—the creative treatments of this period aimed to alleviate common health issues faced by soldiers and civilians alike.

While modern medicine has made significant strides since then, these historical remedies remind us of the enduring power of nature in providing relief and healing. They also offer a window into the past, showing how people creatively used the resources available to care for their well-being.

Despite a constantly evolving world that has come a long way since the Civil War, these remedies serve as a testament to the age-old relationship between humans and our natural environment and remind us how truly blessed we are to live on this planet.

Alanaana and duane like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Is Willow Bark the same as aspirin? For some reason, I remember something I read about it that it came from usage in China and aspirin was came from it.... Of course, I might be wrong here and having a Biden moment...

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Grandmother made a spring tonic of dandelion, crawdads, old fashioned molasses, garlic that had wintered over and we were given a few spoons full a day. Cousin in 1940s talked with prof about it and checked it out as project for class. Turned out to be loaded with vitamins,minerals, and who knows what else. Given that in 1850s we now think a good percentage of the population of Minnesota was suffering from low grade scurvy by spring and we had kids in my school, 1940s with birth defects caused by mother's diet during pregnancy, it may been important medical care in 1850s. Sauerkraut, vitamin c, salt cod, iodine, crawdad soup, minerals,and we were better off than the rich as far as heath goes. Iots of what kept us healthy in old days has been lost.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    Bandit99 and SB21 like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Similarly active chemical compounds.

Bandit99 likes this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm a history buff and Civil War re-enactor, years ago I read a book about the Confederate Military Hospitals called 'Hospitals on Rails'. About 1/3 of the doctors had some medical school, usually 6 months to 1 year, 1/3 learned from their fathers or an apprenticeship, and 1/3 were 'Herbalists'. Even before the War, and the resulting shortages of doctors and medicines, most people in this country relied on herbal medicines for everything from headache to childbirth. Some treatments were wholly American, and some came from Europe. It wasn't just Herbal Doctors, but old black women, old settler women, old Indian women and the old witchy woman that lived in a cave, swamp or whatever. This was medicine, along with alcohol, for most people!

Bandit99, CraftyMofo and Seawolf1090 like this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Damp snuff on stings. Potato to draw out poisons like spider bites. Warm Coke for an upset stomach. Kerosene to ease the pain of minor cuts and help prevent infection (There was always a snuff tin with some in it in the grandfather clock because the vapors provided just enough lubrication for the works), Salt sewn in a small bag and heated in the oven and applied to the outside of a sore throat or sprained joint. All things passed on in my family from probably before the Civil War. We had several relatives that served in the Confederacy.

Bandit99 likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had read that amputations during the civil war were bandaged with silver and ground silver was used for treating some wounds. It wasn't till the Russians found that reducing silver using electrolysis were they able to get it into the bloodstream.

8. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I'm not an expert but I've researched alternative medicine extensively and have concluded that it is useful only for very limited, low-level applications of heath care. As an all-encompassing medical modality, it's a dead end if not an outright fraud. I do get a chuckle out of the hippies who talk about how great great Grandma used these potions and they "worked". In the Civil War era, most people didn't make it to old age and often died from conditions that today are easily treatable. Hell, they did not even know to sterilize surgical instruments!

Accusations that conventional (allopathic) medicine "just wants to make money" requires a lot of nerve from an industry that earns billions selling vitamins, supplements, quack devices, and treatments that are not required to prove they work for anything.

But I won't totally throw alternative medicine under the bus. It is effective for preventing already healthy people from getting sick, for treating minor maladies such as skin rashes and indigestion, and alleviating symptoms of more serious diseases. I regularly see a chiropractor and take a small number of carefully researched supplements. The treatments are effective for what they are, but one has to have modest expectations. If I ever get real sick, I'm heading straight to a real doctor!

If "holistic medicine" worked, it would not be called "holistic medicine." it would just be called "medicine".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    duane and chelloveck like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Your remark reminds my of a Tim Minchin Lyric from one of his songs called "Storm".

It is good to be aware of, and have reference resources on the proven efficacious "natural / complementary" treatments of ages past, however, not all that is 'natural' is necessarily safe, or good. In the time of the mid to late 19th century, even allopathic medicine was pretty rudimentary, and people living in rural and remote areas had no choice but to make do with traditional remedies and practices.

Many traditional medicines have been the basis (with further medical scientific research) for the development of modern allopathic medicines.

The Traditional Medicine and Modern Medicine from Natural Products

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Tevin and duane like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7