Holster Talk

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Apr 11, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've got the big box of holsters that don't work for me, or are specific to a certain handgun and were issued with them. I've reduced my carry holsters to a Milt Sparks Summer Special for the 1911 and a pair of Kydex IWB single rubber strap holsters for snubbies, and my Kahr PM9. The retention and security with a single rubber strap and a directional snap (for my slim build) is amazing, and the material is the thinnest of any Kydex holster I've ever seen. Sadly, my lifetime warranty can't be honored, since both the guys from Grandfather Oak Custom Carry who made these are now in prison.

KIMG3380.

I had, for years, carried large and small handguns in an odd magazine toward the center appendix carry that worked while seated in a car. For the past 15 or so years I've been carrying primary handgun with strong side hip holsters and train that way.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Gator 45/70, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

For OWB concealed carry I like a DeSantis Mini Scabbard.
    For 1911's, I'm another vote for the Milt Sparks Summer Special. An outstanding holster & precurser to many of todays holsters.

If you want to have a holster made, I like Mernickle holsters. They do excellent work, they're very reasonable and the wait times are relatively short.

They do a lot of SASS type stuff, but they have a nice concealment line as well.

OldDude49 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. hot diggity

Mernickle is one of the few that makes an IWB holster for the Ruger Blackhawk. I've seen it recently, but can't find the link. :mad:

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Just google them, they're good folks.

hot diggity likes this.
  5. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Agreed.... Have many holsters, use Alien Gear. Left hand @ 10 o clock... Took a few try's to figure out how to properly use them but broke in real good! Bought two for different carry tools, no regrets...

Alf60 and GOG like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

By any chance does anybody here have a box/boxes or drawers of holsters?
    Asking for a friend.

Brokor likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00822.JPG DSC00821.JPG DSC00820.JPG
    For zombie apocalypse. Duty belt and drop leg with Blackhawk Strike platform, quick disconnect, and Serpa holster. :cool:

8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I use leather holsters only which are hard to find used
    [flag]

STANGF150 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I have a NAA mini-revolver in the little 5th pocket of my jeans no matter what. I carry my Sig P238 in a talon holster in my rear pocket. Only way to tell I'm carrying it is by watching which side I pull my wallet from. My Glock 36 .45acp rides in a Don Hume iwb holster. Taurus model 65 .357mag rides in a kydex owb holster on my hip when carried. My PT1911 in another Don Hume iwb. When I took my concealed carry class the instructor told us we would all end up with a box or drawer full of holsters we had bought until we find the one we liked best. Well, at least mine prolly smaller than sum people's collections as I skipped the cheapie uncle mikes & the like holsters!!! Though I still had to learn that ANY holster/holster system that uses elastic in any way, will suck! An my preference is leather holsters!!

techsar likes this.
  10. hot diggity

old camera pics 555.JPG
    Old picture from when I first made this holster for the NAA Wasp and an extra mag for the PM9. I've since added a tension screw between the magazine and bottom of the revolver frame that keeps everything nice and snug. It's horsehide and is comfortable to carry in the front pocket of my beach shorts. It formed to my thigh nicely and doesn't have a distinct outline. This Wasp has quite a sting. ;)

11. hot diggity

I found the Mernickle holster for the 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in The Blue Press. They call it the Conceal-Carry Performance series, and they list for $79.95. I'll have to read some reviews, but if it's in stock, and at that price point it sounds good. Last holster I ordered from Milt Sparks took six months to get here. Made just the way I wanted, and well worth the wait!

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Bandit99
  3. Motomom34
  4. Ganado
  5. HK_User
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Tully Mars
  8. OldDude49
  9. Witch Doctor 01
    [ATTACH] [IMG]
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Apr 2, 2017, 17 replies, in forum: Firearms
  10. Yard Dart