Home Butchering Picture Tutorial (Lamb)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BTW, are the pics showing up ok for everyone on here? I know I have a problem part of the time with not all of them loading unless I hit refresh a couple of times.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, I did make that offer, and it is still good. The scanner can be hooked up to the backup machine easily. It's the burning I can't do for now.

3. preliator

preliator Monkey+++ Founding Member

Monkey man,
    great thread just shared it with about 5 guys who just got into hunting this year. they all came looking for a butchering site and by far your pics were the best out here.
    if you can get the stuff scanned and saved to file let me know i can burn as many copies as you need.
    i would suggest keeping it on a simple format like power point or word as that would be easier for the not so computer friendly but pdf files are great to work with as well.
    let me know if ya need my help i would be more then happy to, currently i have enough of cd's to burn about 250 copies for ya.
    talk to you soon
    Anthony
    PRELIATOR

4. dan69

dan69 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I know it's been a little while, but thank you for the pictures/description. Great information.

//Dan

5. monkeyman

Sure thing, hope it helps. If your interested in butchering keep checking in, I'll be getting a pig in the next couple of weeks and doing a similar deal with it and also butchering some chickens, rabbits and maybe squirls and once I have them all done I plan to put them on CD and maybe add some recipees and such and sell copies of the CD for about $12-$15. The lamb and beef that are already posted here is all I will probably post other than maybe one way of doing small game but it will all be on the CD when I get it done, hopefuly some time next month.

kellory likes this.
  6. dan69

dan69 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Please do. I'd gladly pay $15 for a good butchering CD. I'm a city boy right now (damn universities), but I'll be back where I belong (the high desert) soon. Also, not a big fan of paying $5 a lb. for meat at the market.

Just found this site, and it's already giving me all kinds of good information. I am at your service.

//Dan

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

8. monkeyman

Cool deal. [beer]

9. ghrit

I can see some edits needed, I must have missed some on the way thru the first time. Often, it's easier to see them in the near finished product than in the draft. Sure hope I did a better job on the beef and pig. I'm embarrassed. I'll try to download the whole tutorial and see if I can make the edits cleanly.

Dee, the paragraphs with the pix are smack on.

A couple other thoughts, the first paragraph might go better as part of an intro to the series, and some additional words leading into each animal.

The uninitiated are going to have a couple questions, I think, that might be addressed in the text, or left for linking (or cross referencing) to another tutorial.
    -What does one do with all the excess fat (for example, trimmed off the chops?)
    -Will there be a tutorial on tanning?
    -Can you salvage the wool off the sheep hide?

kellory likes this.
  10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

11. ghrit

Lookin' pretty good. [bow]

12. monkeyman

[ditto]

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Very nice....

I would have done it the same way

14. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Monkeyman, I've done a lot of butchering in the past, but the last few years, it was just a pig now and then. Because I was not set up to scrap the hair off the pigs I always skinned them. Oh, I didn't click on all the pictures, just enough to see you know your stuff. Thanks for the thread.

15. monkeyman

Thanks. I have all of whats here (in a much easier to follow format) and some more on the CD Im selling now in the general discussion thread with a stickey at the top of the page. I havent gotten around to trying to rework it here yet since it was written when we were useing a different software for the board and it didnt transfer over real well. In the old format and on the CD the pictures are right with the text that discribes whats going on and goes through step by step plus includes some recipees, tool descriptions, butchering charts and so on.

16. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

another great tutorial! thank you!!

Brook

17. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

MM -- I guess I really never noticed how much fat there is on a lamb/sheep. What do you do with the excess fat? Lamb is my favorite meat and now I know why....it must be the "marbleling"!:sneaky:

18. monkeyman

A lot stays on/in the meat, but I trim a BUNCH ofit off. I figure at some point I may try useing some to make lye soap with so it would be skin friendly but so far I have just rended a bunch of it down, added some cologn to it to kindof help cover the natural aroma and made a solid hand lotion. I sent a big can of it, about like a 1 lbs coffee can, to Snipper before he shipped out to take with him and he seemed to like it, I know it works REAL well to soften and moisturize skin. After the butchering on this critter even the calouses on my hands were soft and moisturized, thats how I decided to use it as a lotion.

19. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks for the answer. Nice to see how little of the creature can actually go to waste.

I came across this site that has an interesting spreadsheet on making your own soap. It does all the varous calculations necessary based upon the fats used and proper amount of lye required: http://www.millersoap.com/worksheet.html

Mike likes this.
  20. monkeyman

Cool, I will have to check that out later. There is also one that I think is linked to in another thread here that tells how to do it a little more seat of the pants and from scratch as far as makeing your lye from wood ash and so on and how to get the right strength and all.

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. Thunder5Ranch
  12. Dunerunner