Home Butchering Picture Tutorial (Lamb)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Oh also thought I would mention it here for anyone following this thread that hasnt noticed it, there is a stickey at the top of the genneral discussion page on how to order a copy of the complete and finished tutorial that this is a part of. The CD has this kind of tutorial (cleaned up and refined) for sheep, cows, pigs and chickens along with some recipees, charts and other info.

2. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

I have a recipe for soap but will post it else where.. not sure yet but I will find a spot and stick it in...

in the mean time... goat as you know is a very lean meat, most of the fat is found in and around the organs.. so it is best to wether (castrate) a buck kid to help him add the fat needed to marble and flavor the meat, however, because lamb is so fatty anyway, it is better to leave a young ram intact to help keep him muscular and lean, after all you most likely be butchering come fall (about 6 months old) anyway.

brook

3. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Re: (Lamb)Home butchering picture tutorial (Graphic)

So is there a CD or something I can buy or get to learn how to butcher my own animals? maybe i am missing it...
    CBMS
    Out

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Monkeyman put some cd's together to sell.... if he doesn't see the thread just send him a pm.

5. pgrass101

pgrass101 Monkey+++

Thanks Monkeyman, I'll use this info.

6. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

I didn't see the sticky at the top of the thread to purchase the CD, what am I missing?

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Send a pm to monkeyman

8. RVM45

RVM45 Monkey+++

.....Good workmanlike job of butchering a sheep. Not everyone knows how to punch one out( skin largely without using knife). Can't see wasting a good bullet. Cut its throat from ear to ear, and let it bleed out--carefully catching the blood; if you have a use for it.

.....RVM45 [chopper]

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just go ahead and shoot them, partly just to be as humane as possible and also because it gives the best oprotunity I know of for realistic balistics testing. Its how I figured out that Winchester White Box .38 spl +P personal defense ammo is totaly worthless if it hits bone and that .380 Hydroshocks preform MORE than adequately for defensive use.

I usualy prefer to punch out the critters where it works well like deer, goats or sheep where possible but also use the knife on any of the critters or parts of critters where the skin is held tight. I keep intending to tan a bunch of hides and not useing the blade keeps them in better shape.

As far as the CD, if anyones interested in one just drop me a PM. I will either sell them like listed in the stickey around here someplace or for a donation to the site. If going by donation let me know ahead so can be sure its confirmed and will get shipping info.

10. BrotherBobL

BrotherBobL Monkey+

Please PM me I would love to have the CD. I live on a farm and do butcher, but the tutorial is extreamly usefull. So again Privte Message me so I can buy you CD. Thank for giving something worth getting. BBL

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Very nice indeedy. Time for me to find the chicken and rabbit tutotials!!!

12. usa83

usa83 Monkey+

Thanks for taking the time to share the info and pics with us.

Butch

13. 1969cj-5

1969cj-5 Monkey+

This is great. It will be time to Butcher when I get back to the States. Marked on my favorites!

14. Mr.C

Mr.C Monkey

This is an amazing post. Thank you.

15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good info. My mother and I used cut up a few goats back in the 60s (I'll never eat chevon again if it can be helped, nasty meat). Some years later I did a deer or three. But even that's been a long time and this is a great refresher. I plan to live in the country, or at least spend a lot of time there again in the future so this info will surely come in handy at some point.

16. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Thank you for the pics showing the step by step process. It helped me understand how butchering works better but I still think I need to find someone to walk me through the process.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  17. jlutzcurtis

jlutzcurtis Monkey

Great job man! I have never done butchering before, though every year we have family tradition to sacrifice a bull for the happiness of mighty creator. We give the butchering job to our nearest butcher expert. Anyways those images are very instructive, gives clear direction of how to finish up things nicely.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Awesome, @monkeyman! When's the big barbecue at your place? :rolleyes:

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'm thrilled my little monkey just asked me to show her how to clean fish!

kellory likes this.
  20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You do nice work. Nearly identical to how we do deer. I use a diffrent design of gambrel though, one that will not allow the meat to fall if the tendon is cut or fails.(sent one to Tac.)

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. Thunder5Ranch
  12. Dunerunner