Home Butchering Picture Tutorial (Lamb)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Nice pictures but I can tell from them that you're probably about a foot taller than me. It's a little different for us hobbits. There's no way I could handle a sheep that big. What was the live weight, like 250-300?

I raise Soay. A large ram is typically 90-100 pounds. I can store the meat on the hoof and just butcher when the freezer is getting low, so I don't need as much freezer space. I don't use a saw at all. I disarticulate the joints and end up with 4 shanks, 2 shoulder blade roasts. 2 loins. 2 thighs which I debone in a spiral fashion to keep it as a roast which I can brine into a really nice roast that tastes like a cross of prosciutto and pastrami. The rest of the skeletal meat, tongue and heart go into burger. The liver and testicles get fried up on butchering day. That's when they are the best. If you de-vein the liver it will taste better. Rather than using a knife to extract the gall bladder you can just pinch around the duct that connects it to the liver and bluntly dissect it away and then continue that into the liver and pull out those bile ducts. The underside of the liver won't be pretty when you are done but it will taste better and if you fry that side down first people can't tell that it wasn't pretty. The skeleton gets cooked down over a few days in a pressure cooker into stock, usually 6 quarts. The butchering process also takes less time than a larger animal

The downside to a much smaller sheep is that chops aren't really a thing. You end up with roasts and burger, but I'm sure there's a lot of other hobbits out there who look at butchering demos and think that they can't do it, but they can, either with a lot of help (for some reason helpers never show up on butchering day) or by having a smaller livestock

www.windridgefarm.us

chelloveck likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is what they make Hydraulics for... to raise the animal up in the Air by the Back Legs, and butcher standing up.... or even a Chain Hoist, or Come-a-Long.... We used a Forklift on AlaskaChick's 350# Black Bear.... He is now, a very nice RUG...

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, monkeyman is a large size sorta fella. Hasn't been around recently. Thanx for the comments on soay.

chelloveck and SoaySheep like this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Thanks. Good discussion. Here's an interest item for you. They recently started teaching Special Forces guys how to butcher meat. They found that doing behind the lines or long duration stuff it was/is an essential survival skill to stay healthy.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

This is a must learn process for any survivalist. Unless you don’t think you will outlive you stored preps.

sasquatch91 and Minuteman like this.
  6. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

From a young age grandpa started me on rabbits and doves, haeve lost count over the years of how may deer i have dressed and processed. Add new tools every season. This year a 440lb electric hoist is in the garage, save the back some hurting.

CraftyMofo and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I think it's so amazing that you butcher your own meat and can feed your family so well. It really is an art and a skill that takes practice to become proficient.
    We recently trapped wild hogs and it was nice to have so much meat to share.
    I used to be a quail farmer, but still can't get myself to butcher birds. I think I get a little too attached, but if my survival ever depends on it I would probably be able to do it.

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Quit naming them , just they all have the same name = Freezer burn !!

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. Thunder5Ranch
  12. Dunerunner