Home Can your own Bacon, better and cheaper

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by tacmotusn, Dec 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Tac you sure know how to hurt a guy come-on now bro............LOL

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

did I forget to say I bought two boxes?

3. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

Like some of you, my husband loves it sprinkled with pepper after I have brushed it with maple syrup...Yum!

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay we are in the process now. The 24 x 12 sheets of parchment paper with thick sliced bacon positioned reversing direction each slice and tight against each other will tightly roll up small enough to fit in a wide mouth quart jar. more later....

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well the first batch is out and the second batch is in, up to pressure, and on the 90 minute count down. We did all but the very first jar seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper and brown sugar. All 7 quarts of the first batch have sealed. We will be doing a partial 3rd batch. For the novice canners, when you do not have enough to can to do a full batch, you can use empty jars with rings only on them to protect the sealing glass rim from being chipped, and fill the jars near full with water (no lid - just a ring). All told I will be getting 18 quart jars with just a little over a pound in each. We started with two bulk buy 10 pound boxes of thick sliced bacon.

6. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

100 jars of beautiful thick sliced bacon canned and ready to be shelved ................I'm so jealous right now.........[drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling]

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I wish. 14 qts done, and they all properly sealed. Left helper with last 4 qts in pressure cooker, up to pressure and on 90 minute count down timer. I am going to nap, and then go back over (its only 600 feet or so thru the woods) and pull them out of the canner. Helper will be at New Years party deeper in the woods by then. Me, I am going to bed early and going fishing tomorrow.

8. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Boy my math sucks or I was dreaming or something...........LOL.

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

A Post Canning report on the brown sugar and fresh ground black pepper sprinkled market bulk bacon. New Years Eve 12/31/2010 me and another prepper canned 20 pounds of Bacon using a recipe and proceedure from Backwoods Home magazine (see the thread post starter). Yesterday morning, I opened my first quart to sample the product. The jar was still sealed as it should be. There was no off smell when sniffed. In fact it smelled good enough to just pull out of the jar and gobble down. I had a griddle preheated on the propane outdoor grill, and commenced to finish cooking and crisping the canned bacon. The brown sugar gave it an excellent flavor as did the black pepper, however the thin slices were rather fragile, and even the thick slices easily tore into half slices at the fold point. The brown sugar rapidly gunked up my griddle but I was able to finish crisping the bacon fairly fast and easily. The taste test was two fold. Was it pleasing to the palate and would I survive this test or die of botulism poisoning. In the last 24 hours I consumed the entire quart (aprox 1.1 pound of fresh bacon) with no upset stomach, fever, or ill effects of any type. The taste was delicious. It has been a full 6 months since I canned this bacon and it has been sitting in the dark in my concrete vault (fema specs hurricane room). I definately will can more and store bacon this way. In the future I will pepper only. No sweetener during the canning process for me, nor will I use thin sliced bacon again. I rate this process 4.5 stars on a 5 star scale. ymmv[beer]

Garand69 and Ganado like this.
  10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tac, thanks for the post-canning write up!

11. dewber

dewber Monkey+

12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have continued the taste tests, even though I have not canned much of anything since this batch of bacon. The last bacon taste test was less than 3 months ago. For bacon canned 12/31/2010 it tasted just fine. No difference I could detect from the first taste test above. This batch was finished in house in a couple batches in a 10 inch skillet on an induction burner. I had BLTs for a couple of days before it was all gone. I didn't share. I have a cast iron stomach. I wouldn't want to make some lesser soul sick. LOL
    Sorry @Tobit , I really don't know about raw bacon .... uncured, n unsmoked?

13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image. My pantry just now. Canned 12 pounds 2 years ago. That's hamburger in the middle and pork sausage links behind. Some, but not all, of the fat that holds the flesh together is rendered out. It never hardens as you can see so you don't end up nice long slices when cooked, just bits and pieces. I can tell you it is much better than bacon flavored Spam.

Ganado and Tobit like this.
  14. john316

john316 Monkey+++

could you can raw fresh uncooked pork belly............would it take the same time and pressure

1. Dunerunner
  2. TnAndy
  3. Jaybird
  4. Big Ron
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Motomom34
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid