Home canning pressure cookers

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by stg58, Apr 27, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Canning.

Regular mouth or wide mouth?

Apologises if this is an old question.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It's a money or a personal thing. Wide mouth jars and lids cost a little more, but I find them easier (to fill, to clean, to empty). I have both, but I use the wide mouth jars so much more.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Use to be a Joint that was known as the PRESSURE COOKER, relates to a Lady that stayed too long at the Local Bar and she had to hurry home to have a meal on the table for her Old man in time to look like it was an all day job to cook so much good food.

It was on Telephone Road or so I am told.

Go Figure, YMMV.

4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Well, there's different types of glass-topped stoves, so you may be on the right path.

The type you refer to uses a current that sets up a magnetic-type field in special cookware, so the cookware heats up, not the element beneath heating up and passing that heat on to the pots & pans.

The type I have (that I inherited with the house, when I bought it) actually has a regular heating element under the glass, and the glass gets quite hot! Pretty sure I could utilize a pressure cooker on my stove. I am interested in the electric models now, though, since I saw a remark on here talking about them. :cool:

5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Many do use glass topped ranges. There is always the danger of cracking the surface with a drop or simply the weight. We do 90% of our canning outside using several canners. that way we can be cooking cooling processing at the same time. We have five or six so the "production line" works smoothly. Goal this year is 400 quarts. For those in/near NC, we are having our bi annual gathering 17-19 May and we will have a canning "class" going on along with other goodies. Reloading and casting class also. Shooting between them--lol.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

My wife would like a Stainless Steel Cooker that could double as a roasting pot as well.
    We do have a "all American " aluminum pressure caner , but would never cook in that tainted aluminum.
    Any ideas on where to pick up one ? (I could be into getting ;) ,Dream-on)
    Sloth

Edit add , Lots with seals , And one thing I know , it's the seal that is the destruction of the tool/equipment . The american is Vaseline & it's seal is the taper ,,all else is straight nuts & NPT threads . look at the crap there pushing on North America , 4 years and the replacement spare part is NLA. ,so the unit is junk.

I'm looking for a good summer, just bought the house a new Dryer , outside type , right from down-under

Kinda dry dude for the job :p

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Most manufacturers of pressure cookers shift from SS to aluminum at 10 or 12 quart capacity. I did a quick search and found this Amazon.com: Presto 8-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker: Kitchen & Dining . 8 quarts is a lot. When I make chili I normally use a 6 quart pot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  8. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Just picked up two small pressure cookers at a yard sale for $2 each. One needs a gasket and both need the "rocker". New gaskets come with a new pressure release button.

tulianr likes this.
  10. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Okay, I finally did some canning on our new stove tonight (ceramic top Whirlpool), and it performed like a champ. It may be the case that older ceramic tops have a problem with pressure cookers, or that certain types of ceramic tops do, but this one does not. It maintained 15lbs of pressure with the stove eye set on medium. I initially had it on high, and had to quickly turn it down. We put up some tomatoes and peppers tonight, and will do some corn tomorrow.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Alaskachick and BTPostergirl spent the last couple of days putting up Fireweed Jam & Jelly.... They had the GrandKids out picking Fireweed Blossoms, and picking the Flowers, into a large Pot..... So far they have a couple pf gallons put up in Cup, & Pint Jars.... a few are Blue Ribbon contenders, at the State Fair.... Then BTPostergirl went out fishing with a local Neighbor, and limited out on Halibut..... She socked away 50# of fillets in the Freezer, to take back to Texas with her.... Next is Red Salmon fishing, down at FairyLand.... Need to get our 40 Fish, allowed under my Subsistence Permit, before the Bears start their fishing feast.... They will do the fishing, between Midnite and 3 Am, as that is when the salmon are moving up Neva Creek, to Neva Lake... It is nice to have our very own Red Salmon Spawning Lake, local....... .....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7