Home defense shotguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Aug 2, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What are your favorite shotguns for home defense? I always loved the 870 Remingtons, but currently a Mossberg 500 is serving that role for us.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I've got a Mossberg clone. Think it's a Maverick, made by mossberg. Bought it in college when my apartment kept getting broken into. Never had a problem but I think I prefer the 870 line.

I have not much use for shorguns after I installed the Claymore Doormats

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not a fan of shotguns. I figure if they come through the door in my house it would be easier to shoot them with a handgun (sorry but the house is that small).

4. E.L.

TLynn, how about posting a pic of your .45's. A bigger one than in your avatar.

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tracy it only hurts the first few times. After that the laughs get to be fun.

Try shooting a semi auto shotgun left handed - the laughs are truly fun then! :lol:

Seriously, you'll do fine with a bit of practice and I think you'll find you just might enjoy yourself.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

its fun, Tracy, women tend to out shoot men at trap with less practice, my wife is a dead eye with the trap range! b::

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Maverick 88, I like it...sawed off nasty little bugger:D I keep the Champ (.45ACP) handy too though!

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Go carefully, lass. Busted clays are addictive. I can't seem to break the habit.

9. Quigley_Sharps

I bet this one will work!
    [​IMG]

10. Quigley_Sharps

And for the Lady of the House how about a matching 20 g?????
    [​IMG]

11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

This would be my choice over all others.
    m4-specs_667.

12. E.L.

Wow, those are short. Nice though.

I really have a fondness for double barrels. I traded one about 11 years ago, a Fox that I am still kicking myself for trading. I already have my step-dad's old double barrel w/hammers. Awesome shotgun.

13. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Bought a Mossberg 500 today.....

Figured it was time to get that in the house....

Not a bad price at all either...after looking around online.....It was on sale.... :D

14. CRC

Yeah , yeah...I got the youth model...It felt better...this one..SIte lists it at $365...I got it for $199...Hoping that's good....

The lop is only 13 inches instead of 14 and it worked better for me...Whatever...I didn't have one ....Now I do...

20 ga. BANTAM COMBO Pump Action, Blued finish, wood stock, 22"VR Accu-choke barrel w/ IC-M-F choke tubes, and a 24" fully Rifled, Ported, Slugster barrel w/rifle sights...
    mossberg_892.

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

nice score!

Where did you find it?

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Function test that puppy ASAP. Some years ago, I bought a Mossy for one of my grizmoids. Had a busted extractor when it came out of the box. My ex BIL had one that was missing the firing pin out of the box. Both were 12 ga bought at K-Mart, different stores. Both were replaced by Winchesters. That said, I've not heard a lot of bad things about the 500.

The price was pretty "right."

17. E.L.

I bought a Mossy 500 a couple of years ago, it has taken quite a few snakes, skunks, and other assorted varmints.

18. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Yeah! Baby!...Now that's what I'm talkin' about...
    dscf0959_476.

19. CRC

New little store here on the island...Didn't even know it was here... :oops:

It's really small...and on a side street I don't usually go down..but I was looking at the Remington 870 at one of the "Marts"...and the guy there told me about the new store...So I went and checked it out....

Need to call my friend Rhonda and go shooting now........

She is a local LEO and takes me to the range the local officers use.....

20. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Cool. Find some Federal 3" #2 buck, and shoot one with your different choke tubes. One will shoot better than the others. If you wanna try the rifled barrel, try a few different slug types. Remington maks a 1 oz slug for a 20, should be awesome. Use a sandbag behind the gun to shoot on the bench, it will do wonders for taming the recoil.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7