Home defense shotguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Aug 2, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What are your favorite shotguns for home defense? I always loved the 870 Remingtons, but currently a Mossberg 500 is serving that role for us.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I've got a Mossberg clone. Think it's a Maverick, made by mossberg. Bought it in college when my apartment kept getting broken into. Never had a problem but I think I prefer the 870 line.

I have not much use for shorguns after I installed the Claymore Doormats

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not a fan of shotguns. I figure if they come through the door in my house it would be easier to shoot them with a handgun (sorry but the house is that small).

4. E.L.

TLynn, how about posting a pic of your .45's. A bigger one than in your avatar.

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tracy it only hurts the first few times. After that the laughs get to be fun.

Try shooting a semi auto shotgun left handed - the laughs are truly fun then! :lol:

Seriously, you'll do fine with a bit of practice and I think you'll find you just might enjoy yourself.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

its fun, Tracy, women tend to out shoot men at trap with less practice, my wife is a dead eye with the trap range! b::

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Maverick 88, I like it...sawed off nasty little bugger:D I keep the Champ (.45ACP) handy too though!

8. ghrit

ghrit Old, mean, and nasty Administrator Founding Member

Go carefully, lass. Busted clays are addictive. I can't seem to break the habit.

9. Quigley_Sharps

I bet this one will work!
    [​IMG]

10. Quigley_Sharps

And for the Lady of the House how about a matching 20 g?????
    [​IMG]

11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

This would be my choice over all others.
    m4-specs_667.

12. E.L.

Wow, those are short. Nice though.

I really have a fondness for double barrels. I traded one about 11 years ago, a Fox that I am still kicking myself for trading. I already have my step-dad's old double barrel w/hammers. Awesome shotgun.

13. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Bought a Mossberg 500 today.....

Figured it was time to get that in the house....

Not a bad price at all either...after looking around online.....It was on sale.... :D

14. CRC

Yeah , yeah...I got the youth model...It felt better...this one..SIte lists it at $365...I got it for $199...Hoping that's good....

The lop is only 13 inches instead of 14 and it worked better for me...Whatever...I didn't have one ....Now I do...

20 ga. BANTAM COMBO Pump Action, Blued finish, wood stock, 22"VR Accu-choke barrel w/ IC-M-F choke tubes, and a 24" fully Rifled, Ported, Slugster barrel w/rifle sights...
    mossberg_892.

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

nice score!

Where did you find it?

16. ghrit

ghrit Old, mean, and nasty Administrator Founding Member

Function test that puppy ASAP. Some years ago, I bought a Mossy for one of my grizmoids. Had a busted extractor when it came out of the box. My ex BIL had one that was missing the firing pin out of the box. Both were 12 ga bought at K-Mart, different stores. Both were replaced by Winchesters. That said, I've not heard a lot of bad things about the 500.

The price was pretty "right."

17. E.L.

I bought a Mossy 500 a couple of years ago, it has taken quite a few snakes, skunks, and other assorted varmints.

18. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Yeah! Baby!...Now that's what I'm talkin' about...
    dscf0959_476.

19. CRC

New little store here on the island...Didn't even know it was here... :oops:

It's really small...and on a side street I don't usually go down..but I was looking at the Remington 870 at one of the "Marts"...and the guy there told me about the new store...So I went and checked it out....

Need to call my friend Rhonda and go shooting now........

She is a local LEO and takes me to the range the local officers use.....

20. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Cool. Find some Federal 3" #2 buck, and shoot one with your different choke tubes. One will shoot better than the others. If you wanna try the rifled barrel, try a few different slug types. Remington maks a 1 oz slug for a 20, should be awesome. Use a sandbag behind the gun to shoot on the bench, it will do wonders for taming the recoil.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
1NTzCYzfQp3EJAGcxRodMHQMXm1u9pVTCT