Home Defense

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Motomom34, Jul 26, 2017.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

OK Motomom, I'm not the expert that some of the above posters are but here is my .02$ to your question. .45acp. Because it fits the weapon most often on or near me. I still after fifty odd years prefer it in it's 230 gr. fmj form for my defense as the weapon using it is one or another Colt 1911 or 1911A1. Once more, the .45acp because the weapon using it is the one I am by far most likely to have on or near me at any time. That is just my opinion based on your question. Now I might prefer a Browning M2 heavy were it lighter and more concealable but that wasn't your question was it. ;)

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Upon reflection, my choice of those three is none of the above. BUT, if I were limited to one of those three, it would be 45 acp. Why, since I have guns (at the bottom of the lake) that will shoot any of the choices? Because my 1911 is proven 100% reliable with hardball, the 9mm is a collectable, and the shottie cannot be readily maneuvered in the house (and a really bad choice for carry.)

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

My answer is what is the closest at the time. All will do the trick it you hit your target.

4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It really boils down to a well aimed shot no matter the gun or weapon in general a 1000 round sprayed out still is not as afective as one well amid round I carry a full size 1911 or a Sr 40 some times a 22 darenger it that one well amid round that counts you see cops shoot 50 60 100 round s to stop a suspect

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Okay, I am now going to wade in and I really appreciate the responses. When I saw that poster, I immediately ruled out C. the buckshot because getting knocked on my butt while taking on bad guys is not wise. The shotgun is out because for my build it is not compatible. I know that some women of my stature have no issues with shotguns but from the 3 listed, it was the least desirable for home protection in my opinion. I have others people living in my home so I take that into consideration.

Between the 9mm and the .45 APC, I was leaning towards the .45 APC because of the extra stopping power it had. Reading the responses it does seem that the .45 APC is the better choice if I had to choose only from the 3 listed.

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

That is good thinking of the three. You could, and probably should, consider others. Wading thru any given thread on "best gun" type discussions will present other thinking. (FWIW, a wheelgun in 38/357 might just be the berries for a house gun. Carry is a completely different task; so also is keeping the zombies roaming the neighborhood at bay.)

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

An incidental thing to keep in mind is that if you need to use said weapon it will almost likely be taken for evidence. Don't use your prized collectible 1911. Use something that is reliable, but you won't be distressed when it comes back with nicks and dings that weren't there.

Right now the market is flooded with used M&P's in all cartridges because of the Gen 2 models being released. New M&P Gen 1 pistols can be had for as low as $250 with rebate and used ones even less from those with upgraditis. Gun forums are a great place to find used pistols, just make sure you comply with the laws in your state and always meet in a public place if a background check isn't required. The M&P frames including the small Shield was designed for the 40 S&W, so are adequate for 9, 40, and 45. Just a thought for the budget conscious.

Like others have mentioned I keep a long gun next to the nightstand as well. In my case an AR that only needs to be charged.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Don't rule out a shotgun because your only looking at a 12 gauge. My wife has a youth model 20 gauge and the standard buckshot load is 20 .25" pellets. Normally the pellets will penetrate less through walls then pistol slugs.

9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Low brass bird shot will cut a man in half inside a house they also make low recoil buck shot also and the shot gun or rifle recoil can be tamed with a stock that has more drop in it

Took me two years to get my shot gun back from evidence

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I would pick up a Rock Island 1911 in .45 and learn to use it well. You can change and upgrade them just like any other 1911 and do it cheaper at the purchase point. A Rock Island would be better to loose then a nice Colt gold cup or Delta Elite, and beside the fancy ones. The Rocks do the exact same thing. Get used to shooting 230 grain ball ammo and you will have no problem switching to a lighter load for home defence. It's my experience that the older Fedural Hydra- Shok loads in 160 and 180 gr are one of the best for preventing over penatration!!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Springfield XD 45 Tactical.

The Tactial model offers a 5" barrel, allowing for an extended sight radius, making it an accurate weapon.

Having a double-stack magazine bottomside, along with a full-size 5" barrel up top, makes for a finely balanced piece in the hand. The slide also does a very good job at taming recoil, as well. Being that it has a capacity of 13+1, you can pretty much walk in to any situation feeling well-heeled.

And, what's not to like about a stack of 230 gr. flying ashtrays!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Sadly few people remember an excellent defensive round... and unlike the 45 it will pen a car door if needed...

the 38 super... perhaps in a 1911 config... although others make pistols... and there are several countries that love it!

it is basically a 9 mm on steroids... with a fairly soft recoil and is highly accurate...

is or was very popular in some pistol competitions for it's power factor... just listing examples further down...

USCCA Review: .38 Super vs. 9mm: Which is Best?

Rock Island Armory G1 Series Standard Full Size 1911 Semi Auto Pistol .38 Super 5" Barrel 9 Rounds Fixed Sights Smooth Wood Grips Parkerized Finish - 51815 - 4806015518150

Llama MAX-1 1911 Full Sized .38 Super 5" Barrel 9 Rounds Matte Blued - LM138SB - 728028413991

EAA Tanfoglio Witness Steel Semi-Automatic Handgun .38 Super 4.5" Barrel 17 Rounds Wonder Finish - 999151 - 741566106132

https://gun.deals/category/hand-guns?caliber=29

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

.38 SUPER, in case they are wearing soft armor or you don;t like the neighbors car. Haha.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Same Cartridge as the old 38ACP, except loaded a bit heavier.... I use the Brass to reLoad for my 1903 COLT POCKET in 38ACP...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

A little known trick with Non .45 1911's is the extra round or three mags you can get and still have a flush fit mag in a full size grip! My 10 mm full size single stack holds 10 + 1 of ether 10 mm or .40 S/W! 9 mm will hold 12 +1 and that's a pretty good load out for a single stack 1911 that was designed originally to only hold 7 +1
    Then there is always a Double Stack 1911 that can hold 13 .45, 17 .40/10 mm, and 19 9 mm!!! Match that with any of the others with a flush fit magazine!!!

16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Whichever one you have a gun to fit...

17. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

.38 Super is a great round, pricey and not always easy to find, fairly easy to reload but .356 bullets aren't always easy to find. Can you use .355? Yes but .356 are better. If you use cut down .223 brass you can get amazing velocities though it is hard on the gun and I don't have any Super 9 reloading info anymore.

18. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

With the muzzle pointed at the ceiling, the Pistol grip of my 1911 is at least as thick if not thicker than that on my Mossberg Cruiserl

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am going to buy a 10MM just because of you.!!! With that said...it better fit in my pocket!!!! :rolleyes:

Mountainman likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Tough question Moto... I have all of the above calibers (except the 10MM just to spite someone on the forum)... and a couple of more, sprinkled throughout my residence.... I will fight with, as @Pax Mentis said, with what is nearby and ready to go!!!

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7