Home Made Guns?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fortunateson, Jan 23, 2009.

1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

--Begin Disclaimer
    Since, by law it's legal to manufacture ones own guns so long as they're not resold...
    --End disclaimer

I had this idea, wonder if it would work:

1. Take a polymer pistol, (Glock, kel-tec etc.)
    2. Strip the frame
    3. Drop the frame into mold making material (they sell this stuff at craft stores like Michaels)
    4. Carefully cut out the mold for use.
    5. Mix up some epoxy (don't know what type, suggestions?) and fiberglass
    6. Make a new frame from the mold made above.
    7. Drill, file where necessary
    8. Fill with new parts, (trigger group, slide, etc.)

9. Have fun shooting!

Would it work?
    Why or why not?

2. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

i don't know about you but i ain't to keen on takin the rails out of my 500.00+ dollar glock just to try something .makin the mold is one thing but you pretty much have to destroy a good gun to do it.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Aren't simple "zip guns" usually confiscated???

4. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

imo it's not worth the risk of losing a hand.

5. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Maybe, but there are people building AKs and 1911s from kits and have been for years. It's legal.

As far as this idea goes - forget it.
    I took a closer look at my 24 / 7. The meat of the system is the rails. I noticed mine has the SN inscribed on them, so they are probably an FFL part.
    Not worth the time to make them or as someone pointed out - taking the gun apart to make them.

Oh well - it was a thought!

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I dont remember now where it was but had seen a place online that basicly was a machine shop/gun makeing shop and their whole deal was they let you pay to go there and use their equiptment to make you own guns. They would advise, tutor, provide plans and materials and so on but YOU had to do all of the hands on and thus were able to leagaly build your own guns in a fully equiped shop built for it. Might see if a google search would turn that or something like it up.

7. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

now if you have a buddy who had one of them milling machines that makes copies of stuff like rimes for cars and thing . you can take and put your ar lower in one side and get a chunk of billet aluminum and let the machine do the rest. check with them custom rim shops or custom billet shops they might have a guy who will do some after hours work for a few dollars.

8. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The link to the pattern didn't work for me. Perhaps somebody else could verify?

10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The link for the template worked, but you have to register with the site to download the pattern.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7