Home Made Nappies / Diapers

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Mar 16, 2020.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

One of the things that struck me about the panic buying at supermarkets as a result of the NCovid 19 pandemic, is the run on personal care products: particularly women's disposable sanitary pads; and baby nappies / diapers. There was a time in the not too distant past when these items were made for multiple time use, (after laundering of course). I will be posting in this and another thread, some YouTube clips and links for those who wish to rediscover the arcane skill of manufacturing home style female sanitary pads and diapers / nappies.

youtube how to make a cloth diaper - Google Search

how to make a cloth diaper pattern - Google Search

Free Cloth Diaper Patterns | Diaper Sewing Supplies

Making Baby Cloth Diapers - 18 wonderful Patterns {FREE} - Sew Guide

Free Cloth Diaper PDF Patterns & Tutorials

Making cloth diapers may become a very useful small scale cottage industry for those who have the skills, equipment and materials for making them. :) They would make a useful barter item too. (y)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Ganado, techsar, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

As the older women in my family used to say, "boiling rags".

techsar, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cleaned plenty and puked plenty cleaning diapers...Not my first rodeo!

Ganado, techsar, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

And these kids these days say's the older people need to get with the program and recycle more ,,,,, what more of an effort would you need to do to recycle ,, than to clean and reuse a diaper . Dumbass kids .

Brokor, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

After all the babies are grown the soft diapers make some fine gun cleaning and polishing cloths.

Brokor, Ganado, techsar and 3 others like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All these young kids having kids they want to save the planet, but don't want to do anything that might be an inconvenience like reusing a washable baby diaper.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We have a whole bunch of old bed sheets we always saved just for events like this!
    I used to get in trouble for taking them and making shop rags outta them, Mom would come unglued as they were a one shot deal after that! It took this dumb kid a while to figure out what Mom had in mind with those old sheets! When my First born came along, she showed me! Duh.................Ura-Ki had no idea how smart Mom actually was! LOL

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Also homemade surgical masks. Just wash and reuse.

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My ex used to hammer me for saving rags (for working on cars, etc.) Well, I'll not be running short, not since the divorce --

SB21, Ura-Ki and techsar like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7