Home made smoking pipe and tobacco pouch.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by sticks65, Jun 18, 2010.

1. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

I like to have a smoke on a pipe from time to time,especially when Im camping in the woods and am sitting by the fire side with a dram of single malt.

The pipe I own was on its last legs so I ordered a corncob pipe but now they tell me its not in stock and I will have to wait 2 weeks.

So I thought why not make my own pipe so thats what I did.

I used the bit[mouth piece] of my old pipe.

I made the bowl out of some Ash wood that has been seasoned for 6 years and I used bamboo for the shank [tube].

I also made a leather tobacco pouch to carry my tobacco and pipe in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I absolutely love your bushcraft posts. They all keep my old noggin engaged and you inspire me with the possibilities of the skills you have.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nice work on the pipe. That said, I'm interested in what success you'll have with breaking it in. Even with proper briars, that can be a tedious operation. Speaking of which, it used to be axiomatic that English briar was the best of the breed. Do you not have some around your AO?

Maybe an interesting story, maybe not. My grandfather was a pipe smoker, loved his corncobs, but rather didn't like breaking them in. (They are foul tasting for quite a few bowls, yes, I know that from experience.) Anyway, during the depression, many tramps were on the roads looking for work and handouts. G-parents were not too far off the rail lines, and often enough a hobo would knock on the door for work and food. G-ma was a generous sort, and there was often enough work to be done to earn a good meal, so that happened. After the feed, G-pa would hand the guy a new corncob and tin of Prince Albert with instructions to smoke up the baccy and bring the pipe back at which time a sawbuck would be the reward. That kept him in corncobs for many years, with just a change of stem. That ended just before the US got into WWII when "free" rail travel became less popular.

4. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Thats very kind of you to say so and Im glad that I keep you old noggin engaged[boozingbuddies]

5. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

It didn't take to much breaking in,maybe thats because it has seasoned for 6 year but it really does taste great.

My Grandad used to smke a briar pipe and my Mother says im very much like him,he was a great man that taught me a lot about bushcraft before id ever heard the term bushcraft.

I really enjoyed your story about your Grandad and he was a very smart man getting the Hobos to break in his corncob pipes.

I have it in mind to make my own corncob pipe.

Oh and im keeping an eye out for some Briar.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, G-pa was pretty smart at that (and pretty crafty with carpenter's tools) other than being a wheel in the Democratic party. Pop never forgave him for that. Loved the party clambakes in the back yard, tho'.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7