Home Remedies to Stop Bleeding

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Apr 23, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Turmeric.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Probably styptic powder. its a antihemorrhagic agent (works by constricting the blood vessels to stop bleeding) & does sting a lil bit if you get it in a cut but on dogs nail (assuming you just tipped the quick & diden't go all horror movie mode) once the blood clots, it seals itself & even scrapping off the end of the nail later (which they're prone to doing as soon as they start walking around on rough ground) shouldn't start it bleeding again under normal circumstances...

Hmmmm. never head that one before.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Dirt seems to work.
    well it does plug the hole.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The effects of QuikClot Combat Gauze on hemorrhage control in the presence of hemodilution and hypothermia (.mil take)

https://www.naemt.org/docs/default-...pical_Hemostatic_Agents.pdf?sfvrsn=bfb9cbfe_2
    A review of current literature for pre-hospital care providers. Worth the time as it covers the market for these products.

When to use hemostatic agents in EMS
    discusses alternative to 'QuikClot" brand product.
    HTH

The issue set was with the GEN1 product that was sold as a loose granular product. That hasn't been sold for some time. There is a reason medics are required to get annual training and Continuing Education - the medical field changes rapidly.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Hey, Mom! Not 'honey' or, as this product is often mislabeled, 'pure honey'; but 'RAW ORGANIC HONEY', instead. People can watch that world class, phony baloney, gun expert 'Markie Mark' apply (presumably raw) honey to his wounds in the popular movie 'Shooter'. (Sugar, too)

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

THIS ^^^^^ thank you @DKR for finding the info. If people have the old quikclot in their meds bags, read the link. This article tells why some of the older Quikclot has been discontinued. DKR is correct the medical field changes rapidly so making sure products you prepped are safe and haven't been discontinued. Using old Quikclot and giving someone gangrene during SHTF will not be good.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't know any better, but gangrene can be controlled and cured, so stopping an arterial gusher by any means is apt to prolong life until proper medical attention can be accessed. (It goes without saying that the handoff from field expedients to medics should include passing along any and all measures taken.) That said, an inventory review should be mandatory, along with replacement of stuff that is now known to be troublesome.

Zimmy likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use colloidal silver( in place of alcohol) to start with , kills bacteria with out injuring the tissue.
    I use direct pressure to stop profuse bleeding and tape directly on the whole to control it, that and turmeric depending on the amount of surface area (road rash) .
    If the bleeding is greater than the tape can withstand, a tourniquet is required . If the bleeding continued internally
    If it is possible the extremity is elevated above the heart till clotting can take over . a tourniquet is a last resort .
    If there is no sterile bandaging available the victim's own clothing is the most appropriate, seeing that their body is more accustomed to their own bacteria .(Unless it is soiled)
    In a field emergency and help is not readily available ,doing something, even if it is not state of the art, is miles ahead of "in fear" doing nothing . internal bleeding is no less dangerous, still bleeding none the less.

ghrit likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you've got an arterial bleed, just value your last seconds alive and light up a cigar. You're not that precious, cupcake.

10. DKR

I would note that any injury *requiring* a hemorrhagic control agent or a tourniquet will also require immediate, professional, medical care. This is normally obtained at a Level 1 or Level 2 Trauma Center, followed by extended care in a functioning hospital facility.

None of which would be found in a real-deal SHTF situation. While I keep a full-on EMT level Trauma kit, I also fully recognize the kit and my training may only provide the opportunity for loved ones to exchange goodbye messages with the injured party. I do have a full-on "public-health" kit and materials to prevent situations that can turn very bad, very quickly.

11. DKR

Also - this may be of interest for readers here

https://usacac.army.mil/sites/default/files/publications/17493.pdf

This is the Tactical Combat Casualty Care dated May, 2017. At 133 pages, it may be worth your time to download and read as you have time. This was authorized for and released publicly. Copy and open distribution authorized and encouraged. IOW - share it with your fiends and family.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A good addition to our resources library.

1. TheJackBull
  2. Gator 45/70
  3. hot diggity
  4. Motomom34
  5. Merkun
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid