Home schooling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Check out @Joe_Came_in's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Joe_Came_in/status/581333298514788352?s=09

I received this from one of the guys on a gaming site. He is now a senior in a public high school but was home schooled from 1st thru 10th grade. I'm not disrespectful of home schooling. I just think the experience of these teens is interesting as well as their take on socialization and getting along with people who believe differently than you do.

Not sure you can see it in the link above but he goes on to say 'trust your parenting' which I thought was hugely insightful

In my personal life my mother fought tooth and nail to keep my Dad from sending us to private schools because her belief was that school was a place to learn not only your abc's but to test your belief's and compare to others so you could choose honor, respect, integrity etc and come home to parental guidance while you were forming your ideas about how to behave and how to live your life.

Brokor, Yard Dart, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

My nieces were home schooled by an incredible Mom. They attend (ed) and graduated a few of the best colleges. But Orlando has a huge homeschool support system. They want not for socialization. Not every parent can do what she did where they are.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We homeschool our kids. Part of the reason is because we do not like what is happening in the school system.

They do not lack for socialization. We participate in a handful of Homeschooler groups. One thing I notice about homeschool socialization versus in school socialization is that homeschoolers tend to socialize and play across a wide age group while kids in school tend only in the age group. Not absolutes, but what I notice.

Participating in team sports has them meet and befriend kids from private and public schools.

Homeschoolers have not only more field trips, but more diverse field trips and excursions. And other classes or interest. My young kids have gone to more plays and social events than my my adult siblings and nieces and nephews combined.

Both my kids, like many others, have performed on stage in front of large audiences. My oldest, in particular, has no stage fright and is a pretty willing and accomplished public speaker.

Homeschooling, to me, teaches kids to be entrepreneurial. I am self employed, so my kids see the similarities. And I always remind them. Every can is a holiday, but every day is also a work day. You know what you need to do. Just do it. You can take long or you can do it fast. Just do it well. So when they want to do something, like take a trip, we plan for our best time. And they, and I, need to get whatever is needed to be done out of the way in advance. Then we go with no worries.

About two years ago, we had a visiting businessman take my family to dinner. He is an older gentleman and very successful. He ended up sitting next to my oldest, who was 11 or 12 at the time. As we were leaving the restaurant, he pulled me aside and told me how "blown away" he was. They were talking about business, politics, and even statistics. And my daughter held her own in the conversation and even argued her points with him.

I think the greatest part of homeschooling is the parental involvement in shaping a child's values and education. They kind of go together. Not all homeschool parents do that and many in school patent do.

But just my very long winded opinion.

Tracy, tulianr, Yard Dart and 6 others like this.
  4. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Yah baby. The parents who are doing it for the wrong reasons or badly, get the finger pointing.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I homeschool my youngest son; and I am sure that there are things that he is not learning from his "peers." Trying to keep him from learning those things is one of our motivations for homeschooling. My wife and I have our own public school experiences to draw on, as well as having our experiences with my two older children, who attended public school.

In three hours, I can teach my son more than he would have learned in eight hours in any public school and, presumably, learning is the primary purpose in attending school. "Socialization" is the great watchword of those critical of homeschooling - "your child won't learn to interact with others!" Hogwash. Just because a child is homeschooled doesn't mean that he or she is locked away in a closet. If you want to see all of the negative aspects of personal interaction (read: "socialization") the public school is the place to find them. I would rather my child engage in the positive aspects of socialization.

I'm a little league coach, so I get to see quite a few products of the public school system. I am not over-awed, and I am seeing some of the best that the public school system produces. The parents are engaged in these children's lives, these children are active and goal oriented. They aren't the ones who live in deplorable conditions, with neglectful parents, for whom violence and abuse are every day occurrences. My son plays with the boys on the ball field, and interacts with these boys after practice, and I defy someone to pick him out of the group as the "special one," "the homeschooled child," "the boy lacking in social skills."

I run into young adults on a regular basis who were homeschooled. I have met a surprising number of them, and I have yet to have one whine about being homeschooled. I can't remember meeting one of them who did not consider it a privilege to have been homeschooled. I am sure that there are some; because there are some people who just aren't happy, and nothing will ever make them happy. They are disgruntled about life and everything is the fault of someone else. For these people, it wouldn't matter if they attended public school, private school, homeschool, or no school, they just wouldn't be happy.

Sorry if this sounds a bit grumpy, but whining teen-agers, to whom the world has been presented on a silver platter, get under my skin.

gunbunny, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wow Lotta reaction on this topic.... Did anyone else read the link? Cuz it sounds like a couple bad reactions instead of actually reading what was said. [emoji7]

7. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I read it - a lot of whining about not wanting to be special, about not wanting to be different, about paying for his parents' choices. Cry me a river. His parents cared enough about him to bust their butts trying to give him a good education without all of the stupidity that inevitably becomes part of public school, and he just isn't happy. Shipping his hind end off to public school would have been a heck of a lot easier on his parents, believe me.

I'm not attacking you, I'm reacting to the post. It's a valid discussion topic; but for some of us, it's personal. I put a lot of effort into homeschooling my son, I take up time that I don't have to spare, and I try to provide him with a good education. My son, as most homeschooled children, learn more than they would have in public school, in half the time. He doesn't have to get up at the crack of dawn, ride the bus to school, put up with a bunch of uncouth morons, get shuffled around in a system that is more about federal funds than it is about education, spend half of his time studying for standardized tests that mainly measure how well you take tests, and then come home and try to figure out how to do an hour of homework from each of his six teachers before bedtime. So, when he is a teenager, I will not be very sympathetic to his whining about not wanting to be special.

There are some very good teachers out there in the public school system, who do their best. There are well-meaning administrators out there, who bust their butts for the children in their schools. My hat is off to them, but I'm not sure they are in the majority. Can you get a good education in our public school system? Yes you can, but in spite of the system, and not because of it, in my opinion.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Don't get me started on NEA Union Thugs, and their teaching capabilities.....All of or children were Home Schooled for part of their Primary and Secondary Education. When they were in Public School, Alaskachick and I were monitoring their education on a daily basis. When the Thugs did run wild, Momma would go first, and try and get things set right. If that didn't work, I went, and DID Set things Right, and there are Principals, and Teachers, that NEVER want to see My Face, EVER AGAIN, and a few left the Teaching Profession, soon after our encounters. I just do NOT put up with NEA Thugs, and "Modern" Educational BS, Period, and My Children, NOW, are ALL, raising their children, in the same way. Our Oldest Daughter is Graduating with a Masters in Psychology, in a few weeks, (Just defended her Masters Thesis and was Graded A ) She is already accepted in an 18 Month PHD Program, at the same time, as doing a Residency in Clinical Psychology, which is REQUIRED for a State License, for an Independent Practice. She Graduated High School from the Alaska State sponsored Aleseska Home School System, while we were living out here in the Alaskan Bush.

tulianr, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have seen both sides... We chose to send our kids to public schools and they did well two Valedictorians each with full ride scholarships to UNC and NC State, and one who graduated 4th and joined the military. both college bound students graduated with honors and one is working on her Ph.D. I have worked in the college system for the last 16+ years and have seen student who were home schooled who did well in the college environment.. I have also seen students who could not pass minimum scores on tests and had to go to a community college for a GED before they could get into college. Some parents are capable of teaching their children and some are not... some children are capable of learning regardless of the situation they are placed in.... Conversely some teachers should not be teaching and some kids will not be willing to learn regardless of the quality of the teacher.

My observation is that students who come from a family who are interested in education will generally do better that those who don't place as much emphasis on education. Personally both the wife and I have advanced degrees both of us have been educators... would I want to be the primary instructors in all of my children's education? No, however we did supplement everything they learned in school. Personally I think that they came out fine...

Ymmv

tulianr, Hanzo, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  10. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Typical teenager- he'd be complaining the same amount or worse had he gone to public school. The grass is always greener on the other side, I tell my daughter. The only thing she is missing is the anxiety.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[pop]

12. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I dropped a study on homeschoolers from an educational standpoint -- not really deep into the socialization part (which I have found to be not a factor). It analyzed the parents and factors that made homeschoolers do better in school in comparison to non-homeschooled children.

Attached Files:

Brokor and tulianr like this.
  1. Matteo10572
  2. Mindgrinder
  3. CATO
  4. RightHand
  5. Tracy
  6. Tracy
  7. <exile>
  8. Tracy
  9. NY PRO
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary