Homemade Berkey Water Filter

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Mountainman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Thanks for the information on the DIY. I've had a filter like this in my shopping cart on Amazon for quite a while, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am glad I saw this post, I can now do it for less than half the cost. I might do this with my cub scouts as a project.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I bought the 5 gal buckets, put a spigot in one and have the lids, all ready to go, I just need to buy 2-4 Berkey's filters now!

3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

On drilling the 1/2" holes--position the top bucket onto the lower lid and drill through both at the same time. That way you do not have to do any measuring or guessing. A real nice asset of making your own is that in a BO situation the buckets will fit into each other thus taking up less space.
    On the filters seperating at the base--just put a thin layer of silicone on the base and reset. Have done mine and it works fine.

stg58 and dragonfly like this.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

If your on a budget just remember that each filter is suppose to be good for 3000 gallons and a set of 2 runs around $100. I have 2 in mine and debating if I should get 2 more for replacement backup.

stg58 and dragonfly like this.
  5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Sensible thinking and am going to order 4 for our home. Our old filters are terribly slow but have been with us for about six years. Will back flow and wash them one more time before replacing. Even then will save in case I have to pressurize them for emergency water. If they work at all then putting them under pressure should work also.

dragonfly likes this.
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I read the newest ones have to be "scraped" like by using a potato peeler instead of being brushed by the 3m scotchbrite stuff?
    True?

7. Mountainman

Bump to bring this back into view for the newer members.

stg58 likes this.
  8. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

Cheaper than dirt has a similar system for a lot less than $100 as I recall. One dome shaped filter. They also had the candle type filters. Considered sending one to a team mate in the peace corps.

9. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

@Mountainman , thanks for bumping this tread.

Assembled one this weekend I also put a spigot on the top bucket so I can drain it if needed without pulling it apart.
    Good water in this area but....

Thanks!

Mountainman likes this.
  10. Snake_Doctor

Somewhat on the subject. Can one stack full 55 gallon drums of water on top of each other? And are there any 55 gallon water barrels with spigots already on them?

11. Mountainman

That could work for a group of people and I never thought about going that big. Only potential problem could be that a full 55 gallon barrel on top would weigh 450 pounds.

12. Snake_Doctor

That's what had me thinking Mountainman. Awful heavy. But thought it would save space in a hall closet.

13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If, and only IF the floor could handle the weight.
    You will NOT be moving this around, so just build a rack to carry the weight.
    I can tell you from experience, shifting it, while full, will likely cause it to leak. Mine are used to carry water to a hunting land for watering holes.

14. Snake_Doctor

Thanks Kellory. Concrete slab floor. Not enough room to build a rack, it's a shallow clothing closet you have to reach into. But it was a good idea.

15. kellory

No room for a bolted steel frame? It could be not much bigger than the barrels themselves.

16. Snake_Doctor

hmm I had been picturing a wooden frame. Steel should work. Thanks

17. Mountainman

If your going to go with that you are probably going to have to use 4 filters to get the water in the bottom barrel in a reasonable time, see previous post #17 about my test.

For everyone: BTW, I did end up buying 2 more filters for backup in my 5 gallon system.

18. kellory

Make sure to fasten it into the wall studs as well, to prevent the possibility of tipping.

19. Snake_Doctor

Hmm another good tip

kellory likes this.
  20. Snake_Doctor

Don't like the idea of pumping, that's why I thought about a tap on the barrel

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. The_Prepared
  8. BenP
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Primefactor
  11. ED GEiN
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Bandit99
  14. Legion489
  15. cabot
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Gator 45/70
    Anyone have these ? [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Gator 45/70, Jun 29, 2014, 57 replies, in forum: Survival Medicine
  18. DKR
  19. PapaGrune
  20. Earth Shepherd
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7