Homemade Berkey Water Filter

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Mountainman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

That is a very good thought considering how much water might be left over.

2. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

Thanks. And considering that I might not be there to lift and tilt the barrel for them.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

concider as well, that the spacing makes a difference to the speed of filtration. the higher the feed bucket is compared to the filter it self, the greater the water pressure. (That would be why dams must be so much thicker at their base , to withstand the higher pressure of all the water standing on top of the lower water, as water does not compress)

4. Snake_Doctor

oh I'd filter after taking it from the barrels, I was thinking of only storing water long term in the barrels.

5. kellory

A standing 6" pvc tube say, 9' high and gutter fed, might be a better option. water pressure would I think be higher, and no need to pump or lift and fill.

6. kellory

no reason to store dirty water. lots of ways listed on this site for storing water cleanly.

7. Snake_Doctor

There's the space problem. Inside the closet the ceiling height is only 6'6. I had thought take water out with a tap, then pour into a two bucket filter system and let gravity do the rest. It's a tiny one bedroom apt and there's the food, weapons, medical etcetcto take up most of the room.

8. Snake_Doctor

Not dirty, filtered, then use aqua mira storage solution. But if it sets for a year or two it wouldn't hurt to filter it. JMHO

9. kellory

Gotcha. So set your feed barrel high enough, your two bucket filter system will fit neatly beneath, and ready when you need it. I can tell you a side tap is very hard to get water tight. but a simple piece of clear hose will act as a syphon and will never leak. and if you add a wieght to the feed end before dropping it in the barrel, it will not slip out by accident.

10. Snake_Doctor

Hmmm very interesting. definently could work. Thanks

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. The_Prepared
  8. BenP
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Primefactor
  11. ED GEiN
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Bandit99
  14. Legion489
  15. cabot
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Gator 45/70
    Anyone have these ? [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Gator 45/70, Jun 29, 2014, 57 replies, in forum: Survival Medicine
  18. DKR
  19. PapaGrune
  20. Earth Shepherd
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7