Homemade bore cleaner - CHEAP

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fortunateson, Mar 15, 2010.

1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Some folks may have heard of "Ed's Red".
    It is a homemade bore cleaner.

I've been using it for years and it works great. Also lightly lubricates, so I seldom use oil in addition to cleaning.

It's very cheap, so you can make enough to soak entire guns for a few bucks.

For those who haven't heard of it, here's an article:

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

For fellow ADDer's here's the condensed version:

1 part Automatic Transmission fluid
    1 part Kerosene
    1 part Mineral spirits (paint thinner)
    1 part Acetone (I omit this because it drys the hell out of my hands)
    1 lb. Lanolin / gallon (might help on the skin, but I omit this - Too hard to get)

I do really well with just the first 3 ingredients.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Do you recommend Dextron II?

I am kidding ;)

3. pcc

pcc Monkey+

Don't laugh, When you have time, read this guys review of different lubricants. Since reading his review, I've been using ATF for all of my guns and haven't had any problems. ATF is also one heck of a lot cheaper than breakfree.

GrantCunningham.com - Library

I'm going to try some of the bore cleaner, got everything except the lanolin. Don't even know where to look to find it.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think I'll stick to my Mil-Com cleaner, works great for me.

For Lanolin, depending on how much you want to use to try it, look in the baby section of your local store. Lanolin is used my mothers when nursing to help the ta-ta's. I only know this since my wife breast fed both our kids.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's good to know in a pinch, but I stick with kck on this one and use the same. Like I said, though...good to know.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have had that recipie for quite a few years, but I will only use the Bore Tec brand due to it's non-toxicity and it is the only cleaner that can remove all copper fouling with just a few swabs with a nylon brush followed by a dry patch.

I have a 16 oz bottle of both the copper and powder based solvents made by Bore Tec and both bottles will in all probability out last the rest of my life.

Besides, the above recipie requires petrol distilates that could be hard to come by during the SHTF situations. As for batch cleaning a large number of firearms, I have used 100% Biodiesel with very satisfying results.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7