Homemade Buckboard Bacon

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by pearlselby, Nov 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Tully Mars, HK_User, Hanzo and 12 others like this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Now thats something I can eat a lot of.. OOP's! I have.. Just never made my own and am thinking it's time.. Wonder how it can's?

pearlselby likes this.
  3. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thanks, Tobit, I fried some and it was really good. My first homemade bacon,,,lol.

Hi Don't, I am sure it would can the same as what we get at the grocer.

The Best Canned Bacon: Plain, Maple, Tabasco
    The above is one way. I did it another way. I just smashed the bacon down in the bottom of the jar and pressure canned for 90 min. at 10 pounds of pressure.

100_3692.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
    Tully Mars, Hanzo, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have canned commercially purchased bulk bacon as indicated in a previous thread. 5 years later I am occasionally using one qt at a time just to see how long it lasts safely and well stored. Even though I have an extensive info library of data on preserving various meats and more. ............. well lets say you have exceeded me quite well with what you accomplished in this thread. Congratulations !!! Now I need to get my act together also.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Tully Mars, pearlselby and tacmotusn like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Think I might have to try this. :)

pearlselby likes this.
  7. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you Tacmotusn, I really appreciate the kind words.

tacmotusn likes this.
  8. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you, Yard Dart! You all are so kind.

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Would someone explain the point of canning bacon. Properly cured bacon can last a year or more in cool or cold storage, so I'm trying to figure out why can it. @tacmotusn would you mind sharing your thought process on this?

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well here in Florida it is quite humid. Refrigeration and AC, and bug spray is what makes it passable for us Damn Yankees. I have a super insulated well house 12 x 16 with walls almost 12 inches thick insulated to R-38. Ditto the ceiling/roof with an added R-7 rigid insulation plus aluminum thermal shield and a tin roof. This is where I keep the bulk of my dry and canned food storage. It never freezes in there or gets higher than mid to high 70s. I try to limit entry in summer, and if I do go in I do it early in morning. Canned bacon could give a rats azz about refrigeration / dehydration / humidity etc etc. I also can fish, venison, and chicken, and store it there. I know for a fact stuff I have carefully and properly canned have remained edible and safe for me in this storage location for 6 years plus in some instances. Why I can bacon and other meats are for long term, non refrigerated storage. Jerky of any type, fish, chicken, venison, beef, ..... whatever should keep well there in glass containers with good lids without canning also.
    I probably have $1500 in canning equipment, jars, reuseable lids/rings etc. I could continue to can until I die without buying anything else. Yes I have extra canners, seals, gages, and weights also. Canning is one of the things I am very comfortable with, and KNOW.
    Did I answer your question? Jerky or any other cured meats without some other protection from humidity down here would absorb moisture and spoil.

pearlselby, Ganado and kellory like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

got it thank you @tacmotusn I had not considered the humidity.

pearlselby likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i've never had canned bacon. So it interests me =)

pearlselby likes this.
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

@pearlselby ....... Okay, 1 just bought a whole 20lb Pork Boston butt. It was on sale for $1 per pound. I have a big can of coarse ground black pepper, granulated garlic powder, tenderquick, and I plan to add brown sugar. I read the instructions at the 1st post link. Tomorrow I will start the process. I am doing this post because this is my 1st time (I am hoping for a few kind helpful words -- Be Gentle). Please jump in with a post if anything I am doing sounds wrong. I am going to remove most of the fat cap that is on one side of the butt. Right now I have 2 big roasts (aprox 10" x 10" x 4.5 ' thick) in a sealed plastic bag from meat processor. After I remove the fat cap from each roast with them out of bag I believe they will flatten out a bit more (they seem to be rather contained in the bag). Then I will attempt to cut each defatted roast into two slabs near equal in thickness. I should end up with 4 slabs 10" x 12" x 1.5". I will weigh each slab and record same. Then I will measure out the right amount of tenderquick for each slab. this will be put on each slab before I treat them with a big batch or Black Pepper, garlic granules, and brown sugar. Each slab into it's own ziplic freezer bag. I have a spare frig which will hold a temp of 34-36 degrees F where I will cure them, turning twice daily and working them a little to work the cure in. (??? No Liquid need be added *a little rum or whiskey maybe* *1/4 cup each bag* Correct ???). 5 to 7 days in frig for cure then 225F until 150F internal temp. will dry applewood smoke for the 1st 2 hours be sufficient, With last 2 hours or so just heat?
    Please get back to me on this. I would hate to waste any of this. I need to get it right the 1st time. THANKS !!! tac

14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Tacmotusn, You need to have them in the frig from 7-10 days. When they feel firm, is when they are cured.

Be sure after they come out of the cure wash real well and pat dry. Then put in the frig (no touching open to air) for overnight. That is the step I skipped. It creates a pellicle on the meat and does better in the smoker.

Ganado likes this.
  15. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

16. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Tacmotusn, if I can do this, anyone .....It was my first time too. The taste is very good and I just wish I had put it in the frig. the first time..

Everything else is correct!! Believe, me you will never buy bacon bacon again. I put another one in the frig at 6 pm along with 2 tenderloins for Canadian bacon..lol

tacmotusn likes this.
  17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am aware of Pellicle. I to have skipped in past. However, I now have a fan added to smoker for just this and can put meat slabs in there prior to turning on burner under wood chip pan. as long as temp outside is below 60 degrees I think I will be fine. Cure, liguid or no? how about 1/4 cup booze of choice for flavor?

Tully Mars and pearlselby like this.
  18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Y
    Yes, that sounds good....I read something about that..putting liquor in he cure....I will look and be right back.

Tully Mars and tacmotusn like this.
  19. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
    Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  20. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you for that explanation. Now, I know how to answer someone, when asked.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    kellory and tacmotusn like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. Coyote Ridge
  16. Dunerunner
  17. ditch witch
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Ganado
  20. Ganado