Recipe Homemade crackers using self rising flour?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by kansasrebel, Aug 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. kansasrebel

kansasrebel Monkey++

I know crackers are basically flour water and baking soda. I also know self rising flour has the baking soda mixed in with the flour. So, has anyone made or has tried to make crackers using this? If so, what is your recipe?

2. annie

annie Monkey+++

glad you asked............. i haven't tried crackers yet, but have been meaning to. and i do have a recipe or two. how soon do ya need this /? tomorrow sound good ?

3. annie

annie Monkey+++

hello ghrit, what's happening ?

4. kansasrebel

kansasrebel Monkey++

Anytime you're ready. I have a feeling we're going to need it soon so I guess the sooner the better. Thanks.

5. annie

annie Monkey+++

crackers:

Ingredients
    - 1 1/4 cups flour; white, whole wheat, rye* or a combination
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 2 tablespoons butter, canola oil or olive oil; more as needed
    - 4 tablespoons water; add more as needed
    - 1 teaspoon seasoning such as chili powder, dried herbs etc (optional)

Directions

* Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    * Mix together well, preferably in a food processor, 1 cup of the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and oil or butter ( use smaller amount for crisper crackers, or a larger amount for a richer flavor). Add 3 tablespoons water and mix well. Gradually add more water, mixing after each addition, until mixture forms a compact ball. If it seems too sticky to handle, add more flour.
    * Sprinkle a work surface (or a baking sheet-sized piece of parchment paper) with some of the remaining flour then press and roll the dough to about 1/8th inch thick. Try to get it fairly uniform. If the dough is too dry to roll out, return it to the food processor and add a little more water. If necessary to prevent sticking, dust your hands and the rolling pin with a little more flour.
    * Put the rolled-out dough on a baking sheet dusted with a little flour (if you've used parchment paper, transfer dough and paper to baking sheet) and bake 10 - 15 minutes, until somewhat brown.
    * Cool and break into pieces. If making several batches, mix another while the first one bakes. You can re-use the parchment paper several times.

*Any finely ground grain such as cornmeal or buckwheat can be used for the flour in this recipe.

Container: baking sheet
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes

ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS:

IN MIXING BOWL PLACE THE FLOUR, DESIRED SEASONING AND SALT, MIX OR

STIR DRY ITEMS WITH A WHISK. IN A LARGER MIXING BOWL, MELT BUTTER

AND ADD OIL, THEN ADD THE FLOUR MIX 1/2 CUP AT A TIME, TO THE OIL &

BUTTER, MIX WELL AND ADD ALL THE WATER, THEN ANOTHER 1/2 CUP OF THE

FLOUR AND CONTINUE MIXING TO FORM A BALL. IF IT IS TO STICKY TO

HANDLE, FLOUR YOUR HANDS AND ADD A BIT TO THE SURFACE OF THE BALL.

Sprinkle a work surface (or a baking sheet-sized piece of parchment paper OR WAX

PAPER) with some of the remaining flour AND YOUR HANDS AND ROLLING PIN, then

press and roll the dough to about 1/8th inch thick. Try to get it fairly uniform. IF

DESIRED, SCORE THE ROLLED OUT DOUGH WITH A KNIFE DIPPED IN COLD

WATER OR OIL, TO MAKE CUTTING OR BREAKING EASIER, AFTER BAKING.

p.s. i would not be afraid to use self rising flour for this. also on a future batch, try dusting the baking sheet with a fine cornmeal, for an interesting variety. you didn't say if these are for snacking, soup or spreading with toppings. good luck and don't give up.

6. annie

annie Monkey+++

here's another one, sounds interesting........ substitute flour if you wish.

Whole Wheat Chips
    1 cup wheat flour
    2 cups water
    1 tsp. salt

Preparation:
    Sift the wheat flour. Add the salt and water. Stir well. The thinner the batter mixture, the thinner the chips, and the more evenly they will cook. Put the mixture into a used, empty, clean plastic ketchup (or mustard) squirt bottle. Squirt the mixture onto a non-stick cookie sheet in a thin potato chip shape.
    Cook: Bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Check the chips after about 8 minutes and turn the chips over IF the middle of the chip is not cooking as fast as the outside edges.
    Variation: Use 1 tsp. Onion Salt instead of the regular salt.
    Variation: Use 1 tsp. Garlic Salt instead of the regular salt.
    Optional: Add 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese.

Grandpappy.info

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi