Honda eu20i (honda eu2000i)

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I figured I would start a new topic, rather than to continue to hijack the other.

Honda EU20i (230vac / 50hz version of yours) generators are available from Phnom Penh, at a cost of $924 USD. Not sure about the LPG conversion, although I would not mind doing that at all. I can buy a few 48 Kg (105 pounds) LPG tanks here, to keep on the farm. May not be exactly what ol' LDSPrepper did at his new place in Idaho...

(Two - 1000 gallons LPG tanks installed in ground.)

... but, they would hold me over okay. Solar will be my main source of power generation, anyway.

My inverters are 230v / 50hz. One is 300 watts; the other 500 watts. Of course, they have only been used to run a few 230vac appliances. (Most of the loads at the farm are 12vdc. So, they run directly off the batteries.) I will estimate my total usage for the house, and sort out a single, large inverter for that.

According to my electric meter, I use about 8 kWh's every day, living here in the city. But, I would not need air-con or electric water heating at the farm. Also, the water would be free, rather than costing a whopping 2,000 Riel ($.50c US) per cubic meter. The water meter typically shows between 7,000 liters (1,850 gallons) and 8,000 liters (2,113 gallons) per month, for two people. (I don't push the issue here, as I probably should. But, there is no way on God's green Earth, that we use 7,000 to 8,000 liters of water every month. I believe the meter needs calibrating. Something that is unheard of, here.)

I am pondering that, once I get far enough along on the house construction, I will order 3,500 watts of solar panels. I typically use Just Solar. They have proven quite reliable. The only other solar panel manufacturer I have personal experience with, is Yingli.

Anyway, I can have 3,500 watts of solar panels shipped here for $.60c US / watt. I have to pay an additional $130 USD for the shipping costs. That would end up being about $2,230 USD, shipped. (Not including import duty, which will not be overly costly.) I estimate the total cost, all in, will be less than $65 USD per 100 watts panel. I will then start building my array.

The house will probably have a shed roof, at a tilt of 13° (2.8"/12" pitch). The panels can be laid flat on roof mounts. This should be fine for average yearly solar collection.

The roof will also be our primary source of rainwater collection. I will have to build a barn as well. I don't think the house will be enough to collect water for us and farm animals, and to hold us over through dry season.

PNW?

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded. Just started rambling and that's what came out.

EDIT: water rate is 2,000r ($.50c US/ m3).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cautionary note: PWM (pulse width modulation) conversion is to be used cautiously if at all when it comes to electronics. Some devices are tolerant, some not, of the less than perfect conversion from DC to AC. The Honda units (and I think also the Yamaha gennies) have full wave sinusoidal invertors and will not have that limitation when used to run the 'puters and similar gadgets.

3. Asia-Off-Grid

Well, I thought you meant that, but wasn't certain, due to me thinking I hadn't said anything about the PNW. Did I mention I may be back in Monmouth, Oregon at the end of this year? Still in the air, though. A buddy has a vineyard there and flew me back to the states to watch his place last winter (2014/2015).

My 300 watts inverter is by MorningStar. (I just learned they have some new MPPT controllers out, by the way. My guess is, they want to compete with Midnite Solar's, The Kid. I love my Beta unit.)

I am in the area of 13° N Latitude. 77° is supposedly a good year round angle here. I reckon I could go with a solar array on a pole. Or, possibly a ground mount and use a tracker. Just wanted to save the ground for other purposes.

Note: There is a guy in Australia who, apparently, makes some really good solar array trackers. From what I understand, he has a lot of medical issues. So, you have to contact him in advance usually, or be patient to get your stuff. He may be somewhat older? But, I have seen some really good reviews on his products.

Trying to get quality products here from the US is a bear. Not to mention, costly. I may end up making my own supports and brackets, due to issues I had with my first solar array. (Another topic, believe me, in itself.)

Regarding rainwater, I have already decided I am not going to use just a length, or lengths of 10cm (4") PVC, like I did on the farm house. I will use an entire storage tank. Just not sure of the size yet. I figure 200 (52 gal.) to 300 liters (79 gal), perhaps.

I have run my computers of both PWM and MPPT controllers, in the past. So far, all have been okay. Of course, I don't buy the cheapo Chinese made units. Not when my very life support system (income, home operation, food storage, etc.) could depend on it. I only buy quality parts for the brains of my solar systems, for sure.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Not to mention, we are talking about voltage inverters and inverter generators as well. Geez, it's 2:18am. This may drive me to drinkin'.

5. Asia-Off-Grid

I agree. Just not certain if they are available here in Cambodia. If I were to go with an LPG conversion kit, I would probably have to get it shipped from the US. This would add, considerably, to the cost.

However, LPG has certain pluses over it that may make it worthwhile. LPG can be stored longer than petrol. LPG is cleaner and exhaust smells better, it may be cheaper to run and if I buy several tanks, they will probably deliver from the city (30 kms away).

Edit: I found an image my g/f recently took of the 48kg tanks, here.
    IMG_1795r.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

48kgs = 150,000 Riel ($37.50 USD), currently. The price fluctuates.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Question. Do you have to valve off or cap the propane inlet while running off gas, or is that internal to the unit?

8. kellory

Now, let me get this straight.... YOU are asking ME for Engrish?:lol:
    I see the gas intake for the propane. Does this need to be closed off externally while using gasoline, or is it closed off internally, by the hardware?
    I've never used the conversion kit, but at that price, I might pick up one or two for my two generators.

9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

When switching between gasoline and propane as a fuel source, do you have to manually close the propane valve/disconnect the propane fuel source, or is that accomplished automatically within the carb/injector system/conversion kit hardware?

Edit
    K beat me to it.

kellory likes this.
  10. kellory

That is another way to put the question, yes.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yes and then again no.
    I've started engines on gasoline and then closed the valve to the tank off.
    When the engine starts sputtering I then slowly crack the Nat.gas or propane letting it gradually take over.
    Please, Don't do this under a load !

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

I would have to check locally. However, at THAT particular link, it shows "Free International Shipping", including to Cambodia. So, it wouldn't be an issue getting one here, as necessary. I have learned overtime, that I should keep spare parts on hand, for items that I have to send abroad for. Otherwise, I end up with a lot of unnecessary down time. Something at that price, definitely, would be worth stocking at least two of.

I imagine, switching back from LPG to petrol (gasoline), one would only need to close the valve on the LPG tank and disconnect the hose (if even that). Then, open the valve for the fuel.

==============================

While it certainly isn't my first option, I have seen a number of videos on installing external petrol tanks, using Jerry cans, outboard motor tanks, etc.

During my time in the Philippines (over eleven years), there was a time I rented a home in Northern Cebu Province. I had a 7,500 watts generator that ran my home there. I had an aluminum tank made that had a capacity of over 100 liters. I had it mounted on a stand, just above the generator, bypassing the stock (factory) tank. It would gravity feed into the gen-set, via the fuel line. Exhaust was routed out the top of the building. Worked well. But, I think I would have still been much happier with LPG, over petrol.

13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Thanks, I figured that was probably it (and I was mostly just trying to re-phrase @kellory's question for clarity). I didn't think a purely mechanical carb would be able to make that switch but wasn't sure. I'm guessing that all fuel sources would need to be manually opened/shut/enabled/disabled.

kellory likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Navyair
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. techsar
  8. SurvivalJester
  9. deMolay
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Benjamin A. Wood
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid