honda model EU3000is and your thoughts on them

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by hank2222, Jan 25, 2011.

1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

I am now looking at the honda model EU3000is model generator for basic use around the place after the old one died this weekend ..i was useing the older one as one to power for as it need to run drills or other power tools around the place ..

The 3000 watts model with bult in invertor unit and it rated a 3000 watts and 120.volt and 12.volt power and runs on 20.4 hours worth of 3.4.gallons of fuel ..

so what are thoughts on that model for some basic needs around the place for onsite work where iam not useing the solar system to power the tools ..

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Inverter type Gensets are REALLY Good, for when you are running less than Rated Power, most of the time. If you are running at over 75% of Rated Power, 90% of the time, you would do better with a conventional Genset. Honda IS certainly the BEST of the Inverter type Gensets, and have a really good rep, for longevity, and ease of operation. I have a close neighbor that has over 12K operational hours on a Honda 2000i Genset, and still going strong. There are a lot of CLONES of the Honda Inverter Series gensets showing up at BigBox Stores. If you want quality for your money, buy the Honda. You will not be disappointed.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

I agree with BPPost, the Honda's are fantastic when it comes to the smaller gennies.

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

If you keep in mind is that these are not meant for constant running for long periods of time you will like the Honda a lot. They are quiet and easy to start

5. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

my old one before it did last weekend on a project work out great it ran for about 12 hours a day before it was shut down the for the week ..

we did use it alot but not everyday and most times it was to run a lights or work items that we need to use at night ..

6. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

I have the Honda EU2000i. I looked at the 3000, but was put off by the weight and price difference. For about the same money you could buy two EU2000i gensets and the synch cable that joins their output together for even more power if you need it.

Most of the time you won't need that much power. You can run most any handheld power tool with just one 2000i. You'll save a lot on fuel running the smaller one, and it will be a lot easier for people to move around. (I used to take it to mountain job sites when I was installing fireplaces, so I know all about moving them around!)

These Honda's are stouter than all get-out when compared to their clones. I unexpectedly needed compressed air in a remote area and had no choice but to run my compressor with the Honda, as it was the only source of electricity we had along. As 110 volt compressors go, it's a big one requiring a 20 amp circuit. It put a noticeable load on the little Honda, dragging the engine speed down significantly. I was sure that I was hurting the thing - there was just no choice. Didn't smell any funny electrical smells, which means that's a VERY robust inverter in there! That was a couple hundred hours ago at least, and the Honda's still going strong.

Everyone who uses these things loves them. Last summer I loaned it to a buddy who drag races all over the US. His genny died just as he was leaving for a 6 week road trip. At the track he needs one to charge the race car battery between runs, to power a little air conditioner in the race trailer dressing room, and for work lights after dark now and then. He was going to run it quite a bit, so I asked him to change the oil once or twice. It came home with Royal Purple racing oil in it, and when he opened up the trailer to get it for me, it was sitting beside the EU2000i he bought for himself at the first Honda dealer he saw on the trip!

7. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

I live in northern Az cattle country and we are allways takeing some type of gen set to the back areas of people ranchs and doing little projects here and there with them running basic power tools like saws and other little tools and then at night useing it for lights or something else that we need .

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I understand that Honda is experimenting with a diesel version of the Inverter Gensets to be available in a year or so...

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now THAT will get me thinking a bit -

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have a 3000 Honda EB3000 cyclone inverter. It makes 21.7 amps of 120 gas powered. It is anice unit but would not do here to run my well pump. We went with a propane powered Generac 5882 8000 watt. Kingfish

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7