Honeyville Farms - Sour Cream Powder

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by kckndrgn, Feb 11, 2012.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

So we were having mexican for dinner tonight and the wife said we were out of sour cream. So, I took the opportunity to use some of the powdered sour cream that we have on hand.

According to the directions - 1 part powder to 1 part liquid. I mixed it up and something that was the consistency of milk. added a little more powder, no change. Put the mix in the fridge thinking that chilling it might let it thicken up a bit. Nope, but from all the mixing there was a nice foam head on the container and we used that for dinner. Taste wasn't bad, kinda powdery though.

So after letting the mix sit in the fridge for 3 hours, it's still the same, probably could be used for milk.

So I was thinking that in the morning I would make another batch but use milk instead.

The pictures on the container give the impression that after adding the liquid you should get something that looks like real sour cream.

Anybody else have any experience with this product and can provide any tips? I think I'll email Honeyville and see what they have to say.

Thanks

Cephus likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I don't know about the powder

I don't know about the powder, but have improvised sour cream from ordinary thickened cream with some lemon juice, and allowed to stand for a while in the refrigerator. Maybe not as good as store bought, but good enough for cooking with in an emergency.

There are recipes for making sour cream by adding sour cream or buttermilk as a starter to ordinary cream, and allowing it to stand in the refrigerator for 24hrs to thicken.

Some yoghurt maker kits have recipes and proprietary ingredients for making home made sour cream. They also usually have ingredients for making buttermilk, and other fermented milk products. A possible source for prepping long term storage dehydrated dairy products.

3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Kck, the standard I was given was 1/2 part water to 1 part sour cream powder. I always mix 1/2 cup water with 1 cup sour cream powder. It is not sour cream consistency, more like a thick paste, but for use in recipes, it sure does well. I sub powdered sour cream (reconstituted) for regular sour cream in my sour cream pound cakes, and people have never noticed.

Try doubling the powder. Keep the water the same.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7