Honor the Fallen

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by RightHand, May 29, 2011.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[​IMG]

Another Memorial Day is upon us - not the only day for remembering those who have died in service to our country, but certainly a special day.

Every year at this time, I get what my mom called "the blues," a sadness so profound that I am moved to tears. I am remembering the legions of men and women who have sacrificed their lives so that the freedoms so often taken for granted will be there for the generations that follow.

Our little town was first incorporated in 1712 and lost many of our boys and young men to the American Revolution. The birth homestead of Revolutionary War hero Nathan Hale is a little more than a mile from my home. As a young girl, I would ride my bike to the homestead and I would always stop at the little cemetery that is between here and there. The graves date back to the 1700's and I used to wonder how many of those young men were casualties of the founding of our nation. In reality, probably not many as they would have died far from home in the arms of their comrades and they rest in graves unmarked, like so many who followed between that war and today - Unmarked but not forgotten.

These hundreds of years later, we are still burying those who fight for freedom and defend what the blood of those Revolutionary War troops won. We bury them not in that little cemetery, but in sacred ground across our country. Families still weep as the honor guard fires their rounds into the air, as the sound of Taps consumes the stillness, and the flag under which our lost soldier has rested is folded with honor and ceremony.

My silent prayer is that the words of my grateful heart will be heard by the angel warriors of all times who sacrificed their lives on our behalf.

Visit Honor the Fallen site to remember those we probably never knew.​

Tracy, Gator 45/70, tacmotusn and 6 others like this.
  2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Amen.

Cephus likes this.
  3. beast

beast backwoodsman

i came upon a sea of trees
    each oddly misshapen
    then i got down on my knees
    for i saw i was mistaken
    every tree that i did see
    was but a mighty cross
    each one bore a single name
    of a soldier we had lost
    miles and miles the forest went
    as far as i could see
    it made me sad their lives were spent
    in defending folks like me

beast 2010

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

AMEN.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

Photo Credit: Courtesy of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:placeName>Arlington <st1:placeName w:st="on">National</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Cemetery</st1:placeType>
    <st1:placeType w:st="on"></st1:placeType>
    <st1:placeType w:st="on"></st1:placeType>

<st1:placeType w:st="on"></st1:placeType><FONT color=#333333><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Dawn approaches on</DIV>

Slow silky slipper clad feet

<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sunrise</st1:place></st1:City> spun silence

White stones upon green fields

As taps sounds in the still air

6. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

I have so many to thank, from the very beginning of what would become this country so many wars the first upraising with relatives on both sides to Kings Philips war, The French and Indian War, Revolutionary, 1812, Spanish American,WWI,WWII, Korea, Vietnam to the fighting in Irag and Afghanistan.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The Soldier:
    By Charles M. Province

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

If you can read this message thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English of your own free will THANK A SOLDIER!

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is
    draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To all the brave men and women who have dedicated or given their lives to protecting this country and it's freedoms

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I hope his WIFE hires a TOP NOTCH CIVIL ATTORNEY and sues the fecal matter out of the County, the informant who provided the intel, the Judge who Signed off on the Warrant, and EVERY Damed Leo on the RAID. This kind of BS has got to cost them Yahoos, BIGTIME The payout should be in the 10's of MILLIONS, MINIMUM. My opinion.... YMMV....

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

For The Fallen

This is an extract from Laurence Binyon's ode "For The Fallen".

The complete poem can be read at the following Website. The Ode, as it is called is invariably recited at ANZAC day memorial services....it is a very moving piece of war poetry.

First World War.com - Prose & Poetry - Laurence Binyon

Lest we forget.

Witch Doctor 01 and RightHand like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7