Hoop House Greenhouse.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by duane, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. duane

duane Monkey+++

I see a lot of beautiful greenhouses described here and in an attempt to not hi jack someones thread,, I will describe my hoop house-greenhouse. It has a gothic roof and is made out of heavy tubing and covered with plastic. I bought mine locally, Rimol Greenhouses out of Hookset NH calls it its Eastpoint model, and it is about $3500 for a 20 by 48 one with the base package and roll up sides. It is about 12 foot high in the center and has stood up well to about 10 years of NH winds and winter snow. Has a double layer of plastic and a fan keeps air in that and acts as insulation and helps keep it tight to shed snow. I used a 1 1/4 inch hammer drill bit to drill holes in the soil and drove in tubing and the hoops are fastened to the pipes and a 2 by 8 board is fastened to the pipes and sits on the ground. I used screw in anchors to hold the board down, 4 per side, and have had no problems other than the cold getting under the board. The whole thing will fit on one trailer, can be taken down and reassembled, is not taxed by the town, plastic lasts about 6 years, about $500 to replace it, and I use the reject plastic on other projects. I put it up totally alone in about 2 weeks spare time with no experience, and a group could put it up in a day. I built the end walls out of plastic, south wall, and wood ,north wall and have always been happy with it. Scrounged up the fans, old chicken house fans, and heat with wood. Unlike the solidly built wood and concrete ones, these could be put away for after TSTF, be put up on rented land, be taken apart and sold if you want a bigger one or lose interest, or want a more solid one. With no heat and one layer of plastic, they are called season extenders, and usually only have plastic on them for a few weeks in the spring and fall. Friends use them with growing greens and chickens wandering around the place and with netting on part of the roof for free range egg production and the chickens love them. know of people who use them to raise game birds in, use them to dry firewood, use as garage and workshop space, place for kids to play when it is cold or rainy, and so on. They are not a classical greenhouse, and if you live in a rough climate, like NH, I would strongly suggest you buy a less fancy package from a local firm that has several years of experience in building in your area. There is a lot of junk out there and if the price is really low, the quality may be the same. Look up hoop houses or high tunnels some day when you are bored. The space is so pleasant that you may get hooked on them like I did. They aren't real cheap, but they are a really good investment in both lifestyle and SHTF.
    A guy out of Texas sells a hoop bender that allows you to take a piece of electrical conduit and bend it into a low hoop to cover a 4 foot wide raised bed in the spring and fall with plastic to hold in the heat, and during the summer with that white fabric to keep out bugs, or shade cloth in order to keep greens from bolting. It is a win win for me as I use my old plastic and the hoops, drive a piece of rebar in the ground to anchor them in place, last nearly forever.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Dunerunner, Ganado and TailorMadeHell like this.
  2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I like peektures.

joseph_04efe7_1100618.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

High wind Greenhouse.... i like above ground greenhouse for extending growing season but prefer one partially in the ground. Its just a personal preference not a 'you must do'

Hoop greenhouses are great for extending growing season on both ends

TailorMadeHell and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  4. TailorMadeHell

Anything for extending the season is good. I remember my grandfather used to do the greenhouse thing, though on a smaller scale.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Years ago or when I was a kid, we used cold frames to start seeds for the garden and to grow vegetables that were more tolerant of colder temperatures.
    Dig a hole add manure or anything that rots to add heat; cover it with dirt and grow a variety of veggies.
    In late winter, we used them to start seeds early.

Garden With Cold Frames to Grow More Food

@Ganado
    Yes, I was a kid once. :LOL:

Ganado and TailorMadeHell like this.
  6. TailorMadeHell

I'll be so glad when I can start doing things like this. Tried growing tomatoes in a flower pot but management said it's not allowed around here. Hate apartment life.

kellory likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Tikka your kid-ding? you were a kid [gone]:lol:

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Ganado
    Fed the chickens and rabbits. I took part in the endless debate of which tasted better wild or domestic rabbits. I preferred domestic as it didn't have any shot in it. ;);)

Ganado likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol a good point @Tikka [LMAO]

Every opinion is relative to individual circumstances and goals. Shot is not so bad when your hungry. [winkthumb]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Ganado
    The only opinion about chipping chicken manure was it smelled.

Often, I put the shot in the rabbits.

Ganado likes this.
  1. natshare
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. TnAndy
  4. runswithdogs
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Oltymer
  7. kateTV
  8. greathomesteader
  9. Motomom34
  10. chelloveck