Recipe Hoppin' John

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Witch Doctor 01, Oct 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

mmmm.. try hopping john...

Ingredients:

• 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
    • 2 small smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone
    • 2 medium onions, divided
    • 3 large cloves garlic, halved
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 cup long-grain white rice
    • 1 can (10 to 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chile peppers, juices reserved
    • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
    • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    • 3 ribs celery, chopped
    • 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
    • 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 4 green onions, sliced
    Preparation:

In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine the black-eyed peas, ham bone or ham hocks, and 6 cups water. Cut 1 of the onions in half and add it to the pot along with the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ham bone or hocks, cut off the meat; dice and set aside. Drain the peas and set aside. Remove and discard the bay leaf, onion pieces, and garlic.
    Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Mince the remaining onion then add to the rice along with the peas, tomatoes, and their juices, red and green bell pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, cumin, and salt. Cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onions and the reserved diced ham. Serve with hot sauce and freshly baked cornbread.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

If you don't mind too much, for me I will substitute either small red beans, navy beans or pintos. I just don't like blackeyed peas much. Also, me being a tightwad, I try to get the most bang for my buck. Why not finely mince both the first onion and the garlic cloves. They will cook up and pretty much dissappear but add their vitamins and nutrients, rather than just adding flavor and then being thrown away. Other than that it looks like an excellent recipe.
    Hey Mods and Admin, how about a dedicated recipe section? I know it has been bandied about. Jus askin'.

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

My wife always reconsiders the "bang for the buck" when she adds anything but black beans to a dish. Pretty quick way warm up the down comforter on a cold winter night!

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Still thinkin'. Maybe one for wild stuff and one for from the grocery to home?

5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Nooooo the dreaded Dutch Oven!!!!

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's not New Year's Day without Hoppin' John...I bet if I searched the forum it would show up... :)

Thanks for posting it though...not sure why I wait until New Years to eat it....lol!

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Black eyed peas are a symbol of prosperity for a New Years meal:

:D

8. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know, I grew up in the South....South Carolina to be specific...I know the tradition. It's Pork, Greens, and Hoppin' John every New Years...I just don't know why I don't make it any other time because I really really like it! :)

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have assorted recipes for lots of different things some dating back to the mid 1800's just a hobby of mine... enjoy hoppin john sometimes with some bacon or jowls added for a little more taste...

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My local folks never did "Hoppin' John" - i discovered it at the local Publix Store - available canned.
    But this recipe sounds MUCH better! :D

11. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

The only canned Hoppin John that I've tried was pretty lousy. Waaaaaay too watery.

My mom's version (she's from south GA) of Hoppin John is much simpler:
    On a plate, put a layer of cooked white rice, a layer of cooked black eyed peas (not spiced with anything except salt/pepper), then apply a layer of tomato sauce/diced tomatoes (50/50 mix). Top with ground black pepper.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop