Hosting Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tracy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I'm looking for a fairly rea$onable, very reliable hosting service for a company that I'm building a site for.

He doesn't yet, but I'm guessing that eventually, the owner is going to want online ordering ability for his customers. He's a photo lovin' guy, so lots of space is (or I see will be) a necessity. If it's a host with growth options, that would be great, so he doesn't have to pay for features that he doesn't want just yet. I'd like to set him up now for his future needs without having to change service providers at a later date.

Any suggestions for a company that I should (or, maybe more importantly, shouldn't) use?

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tracy - I use Lunarpages for many of my clients. Good, solid, reliable, responsive and reasonably priced. http://www.lunarpages.com/

I also use other hosts but Lunarpages is by far the best

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check out Network Innovations. http://www.nii.net/ They used to have a selection of packages for startups on thru big time operations.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nii is a lot more expensive for the basic hosting package ~ $30 a month plus installation fee. Lunarpages have a basic package, unlimited storage and excellent bandwidth for $4.95 per month (winter special) - regularly $6.95 per month and $0 installation fee. You can upgrade to SSL plans with shopping cart, dedicated servers, you name it. Most of my clients are highly graphic intensive and I've never had a problem.

5. zarraza

zarraza Survivalist in training

I have been using midphase for 2 years - they guarantee 99% up time and their customer service is top notch!

6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

7. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I use AMHosting.com but, if I needed a commercial package, I'd look at 1and1.com. Godaddy.com has some good deals too (esp. for domain name registration), but I don't like their "suggestive" advertising.

Good luck -- as you can see, web hosting services are like legs: everyone's got a couple preferences :^)

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Thanks, everyone! I went with Lunarpages.

Happy client = happy Tracy :).

9. RightHand

You won't be disappointed Tracy. You'll also enjoy their newsletters. I've been at this for a long time but I still get good hints and learn new things. Its an evolving environment.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

11. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but for anyone still interested I've been using myhosting.com for longer than I can remember (at least 10 years). I've also recently started using siteground.com and don't have any complaints.

12. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Siteground.com cheated me with bait and switch. Never use them again, same with Bluehost.com. We use Dreamhost.com since 2007 for large disk space. They seem good.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7