Civics House Introduces ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban, 10-Day Waiting Period, NFA Requirement for Rifles

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by HK_User, Feb 22, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

House Introduces ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban, 10-Day Waiting Period, NFA Requirement for Rifles
    by Jordan Michaels on February 20, 2019
    Related Tags: Buzz, Gun Control, News

[​IMG]
    Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has vowed to pass gun control bills this legislative session. (Photo: Rep. Nancy Pelosi Facebook)

U.S. House Representatives introduced over the weekend their take on the new-and-improved “assault weapons” ban, and while the text of the legislation has yet to be released, preening gun-ban proponents like Colorado congresswoman Diana DeGette have outlined the new restrictions on their official government websites.

The Assault Weapons Ban of 2019 (H.R.1296) echoes similar legislation introduced by Sen. Dianne Feinstein and others in the Senate, but unlike in the upper chamber, the House bill has a good chance of passing.

“With Democrats once again in control of the House, now is the time to enact commonsense gun safety legislation,” DeGette said. “We can’t allow what happened in Aurora, or Columbine, or Parkland, or Newtown, or Las Vegas, to ever happen again. We need to get these assault weapons off of our streets and we need to do it now.”

“I do believe, because in this Congress…there is bipartisan legislation to have common sense background checks to prevent guns going into the wrong hands. It doesn’t cover everything, but it will save many lives,” Pelosi said on CNN’s “Cuomo Prime Time.”

“This will be a priority for us going into the next Congress,” she added.

Tellingly subtitled “to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited,” HR 1296 names 205 specific makes and models of firearms that could no longer be legally sold, transferred, produced, or imported. Along with this list, the legislation also bans

• Semi-automatic rifles and pistols with a military-style feature that can accept a detachable magazine;
    • Semi-automatic rifles with a fixed magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds;
    • Semi-automatic shotguns with a military-style feature;
    • Any ammunition feeding device that can hold more than 10 rounds.
    A revival of the 1994 Clinton “assault weapons” ban has been a holy grail of the gun control lobby since the original ban expired in 2004. Despite the fact that the 1994 ban resulted in no discernable drop in crime or mass murders, proponents believe a more restrictive set of regulations can decrease the frequency of incidents like Parkland and Las Vegas.

DeGette, for example, claims in her press release that in the 10 years after the 1994 ban expired, mass murders increased by 183 percent. Unfortunately for DeGette and others, Politifact rates this claim “Mostly False” and points out that it’s based on “flawed analysis.”

But wait, there’s more!
    House Democrats won’t be satisfied with an “assault weapons” ban, however.

Another bill, H.R. 1112, takes a page from the New York gun control playbook by removing the “default to proceed” practice for delayed federal background checks.

Under current law, a gun dealer can transfer a firearm to a buyer if the FBI has not made a background check determination after three business days. Under H.R. 1112, the gun dealer would have to wait at least 10 business days to transfer the firearm, depriving a potentially legal gun owner of their Second Amendment rights for two weeks.

As we’ve reported, background checks are often delayed unnecessarily due to bureaucratic errors. In addition, the FBI has instituted no appeals process for delayed checks, which could indefinitely suspend the Second Amendment rights of American citizens.

Other bills would place rifle-caliber pistols and semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines under the National Firearms Act. Both policies would require prospective buyers to undergo an extensive background check and pay a $200 tax stamp before taking ownership.

In all, anti-gun politicians in Congress have proposed 20 pieces of gun control legislation. Stay tuned as we continue to track these bills as they wend their way through the legislative process.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Have to pass it to find out what's in it.
    Or they will write it after they pass it.

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[banghead] [banghead]

4. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Something about straw and camels comes to mind, but this does seem to be the year of stupid for the Dems.

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Won't get through the Senate and if it does it will get vetoed. Retaining the Senate is more critical than the President in 2020.

Brokor, Seepalaces, AD1 and 6 others like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I guess we all expected this and, personally, I am sort of shocked it took them this long to get their act together. It's been 2 months since they took over the House...yet, at least, it shows they move faster than the Republicans can or will - ever!

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are a lot of situations where speed is unimportant and can actually wind up as a mess. Think zero care. But this case should have no speed at all.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Come on SCOTUS, even at a 4/4 split with a swinger, id take my chanses against what's comming!
    First, the soap box
    Next, the ballot box
    Last, the cartridge box

I think were in transition between the last two! God Help Us!

9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki I did hear that SCOTUS is hearing a 2nd Amendment case early this April. I can't remember which one and too lazy to look it up but...doubtful it will be this one.

"First, the soap box, Next, the ballot box, Last, the cartridge box"
    I always hear people say this but I have yet to see the people given the opportunity to vote on gun laws via "the ballot box," or on any of the major problems that plague us. Strange that...almost as if it is done on purpose? LOL!

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

SCOTUS has agreed to hear the challenge to the NYC Sullivan Statute, which states a Pistol Owner may NOT Transport his Pistol outside the City of NYC, AND may only go to transport their Pistol to ONE of the seven Public Shooting Ranges inside the City of NYC... Period and violation of this Statute is a Felony... The consensus from nearly ALL Court Watches, both Liberal and Conservative, is that the Statute will be held UnConstitutional, on it's Face... The only question is, how far the Court will go, in setting the Line, of what is or is NOT Constitutional in FireArms Transport & Possession....
    SCOTUS also sent a Letter to the State of NJ, this week, asking for a determination of definitions in one of their Gun Control Statutes, which is a precursor to accepting a Court Challenge of that Statute, in the Supreme Court.. The Court gave the State of NJ a month to reply.... If they choose to NOT Reply, likely the Court would grant Centuri to the Case... and hear it in the Fall of 2019...

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

The house is impotent. She can pass anything she wants. W/O the Senate and Trump's approval it's just hot air. But, I am sure they will make a big show of it and it may be good for 2020 they show their hand before the election. If they had any sense they would do nothing.

12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I wonder if they've ever read the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

This is good, guns are bad.... only criminals should have guns and not be required to pass a BGC.

Its just smoke and mirrors, nothing to worry about. Now Democrats that own guns know their plans and it could hurt them once again.

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I like Trees and I like limbs so I'll go out on a limb.
    Many years ago laws were passed to control the sale of AK style rifles imported from China. It was near comedic the lengths the left went to suggest the shape of a stock mattered. But the law was passed and soon no China arms were imported. It got so bad that a higher quality weapon had been produced, this being the thickness of the side plates and a very ugly stock, the weapon sold well but soon the weapon went wanting at the sales counter as public fear a law would be developed to confiscate the Model in the near future.

This was just one of the steps the left used to control and brain wash the US Public.

We are there again with this latest release of what the Left says it will do so pay attention to what the Camel is really up to.

Oh and that mysterious AK Model, with a couple of hours and a rasp it could be made into a well handling target style thumb hole stock that had never been so handy and accurate as before when the Dems cut their own throat and had models go on the market for as little as $185.
    [​IMG]
    Note the price on this recent auction site.
    Norinco/China Model Mak 90 Sporter Thumbhole Stock Semi Auto Rifle 7.62x39

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

bit by bit. wait until they start attaching pieces of it into must pass legislation.
    Here comes the death by a thousand cuts. Before you know it we will look around and see that we are inside of the ghettos from 70-80 years ago. Ok, some people will be inside, I suspect most (along with our offsprings) of us will be on the outside.

EDIT: I also predict stellar gun sales in 2020.

16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

And empty ammo, reloading shelves.. Again!!

17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

When the day finally comes and the treasonous criminals in Washington actually do pass legislation to confiscate your firearms, the people had better collectively turn that city into rubble in a hurry and then get on with their lives. I don't know about you, but I will not suffer even one tyrant telling me how to live my life, let alone a few hundred of them.

18. If I am reading that right, it is a federal ban on Semi auto guns... Hope they are ready for the civil war. Because a federal ban on semi autos IS the start of one. Millions in this country have taken the oath.

19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Oh, but it's okay if they violate the Constitution, their oath of office, most States law and the wishes of the majority of the country... or is it?

2020 election could be interesting.

Benjamin A. Wood and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Buy now and stack it deep!

Benjamin A. Wood and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7