How about this for your Bug Out Cache?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gillman7, Nov 30, 2006.

1. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

I am seriously thinking about buying a couple of these, throwing some jerky, ammo, water packets, dessicant, etc in them and putting one in the wife and my BOV's.

You could even put the same supplies and bury them along a route to your retreat. Unfortunately, I do not have one yet, I will have to shelter in place, but could cache these in case of emergency, etc.

What do you think? These are cheap enough and it is one of the 2 best defensive shotguns beside the Reminton 870.

Use this link, go to shotguns, Mossberg Security Shotguns, and choose item # G52340

http://consumer.gzanders.com/

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

Snatched it for you, here you go

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Pretty nifty.... how much?

4. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

The Marine Stainless version is about $350 I think. It comes with a Multi Tool.

There is a blued version that comes with a small survival kit, it is a little cheaper. I think if I am going to keep it in a tube in a cache or my BOV, I want the stainless. I can make my own survival kit for it.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Man.... was the price always in that picture.... oops [dunno]

Guess I need to start looking a little closer.

6. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Neat idea. Anyone care to comment on comfort level when shooting? I've never fired one with only a pistol grip & no stock, seems like it might hurt some and that your accuracy might suffer as a result.

Just curious,
    phishi

7. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Been thinking about a new scattergun, seems like a decent price considering what a Remy Mariner cost. Thanks for the info. [touchdown]

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Rather than a dedicated pistol grip defensive only weapon, why not get an 870, buy a piece of 8" plastic pipe and make your own? If length is a problem, the 870 can be de-barreled in a heartbeat and re-barreled just as fast, and will fit in a shorter tube. You can set it up with whatever else you want, rather than taking someone else's idea for packaging.[dunno]

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Phishi, I'll comment on the pistol grip.

I have shot one, and recoil really isn't much of a problem. Just fire your regular shotgun without shouldering it and it's pretty much the same. But at least for me, accuracy stank! I would only consider one of these for using at "inside the house" ranges, they're only meant to be hastily pointed, not carefully aimed. Given the short overall length and the devastating and non-overpenetrating qualities of buckshot, I think they make good inside the home defenders. There's also the "crap in pants" reaction most intruders would succumb to upon hearing that signature pump action racking sound.

My opinion would be:
    Inside the home defense = Great
    Anything else = Get one with a stock

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I wouldn't mind having a couple of those stashed/cached. The pistol grip makes it easier to conceal, but optimally having a folding stock w/pistol grip is the way to have the benefits of both.

11. E.L.

For a cheaper route, you could buy a couple of military surplus rifles, Mosin Nagant, SKS, etc. seal them in a vacuum tight bag, throw in a couple of MRE's some ammo, stripper clips, mags, etc. whatever it appropriate and place it in a nice big PVC tube before burial.

12. duanet

duanet Monkey+++

With the pistol grip, they are accurate to about 15 feet. They make a folder for it for about $80 to 100 that has a rubber recoil system in it that cuts the perceived recoil about in half. You can also use the reduced size shotgun shells in a pump gun, not an auto loader. About 50 cents each here in slugs or buckshot and it about doubles the mag capacity. Basically a shotgun shell with the wad replaced with modern materials and thus the shell length reduced almost 50 %. A little harder to load, shorter, but you can fire more shots out of a standard tube than an extended one. Have seen the blued ones with "good old boy" wear from being carried in a pickup rack for $150. Took it home and used a little cold blue on it. Can also get a standard wood stock for less than a hundred and use it for hunting. If you were going to store it, go to your gunshop and get some of the paper that the Saiga's and other guns come with. Wipe it down, vacum seal it in plastic with the paper, and store it in a waterproof place, keep ammo seperate, and it should be good for your grandchildren. The vapors the paper gives off aren't good, but it will not rust and it will not disolve plastic and if you do need to use it, it will not take 6 hours of cleaning to get the cosmoline off. Of course if you can get the stainless one, you dont need to be so fussy.

13. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I understand the way this shotgun is set up and I like it with two exceptions. I would add a folding stock to it for help in cases where accuracy is needed. Secondly, and I may be alone on this, I would add a grip to the pump. I just like the look better. Don't know if it helps in the action or if it's just cosmetic, though I do think they look cool with a grip.

I like the build your own container thing. Wouldn't cost nearly as much to build your own and you could make it to your exact specs. Sometimes I make things hard on myself and want something that is exact down to the 1/4". If they don't have it that close, I don't buy it. I'd rather build my own where I know I am getting exactly what I want. That's just an example though I do tend to get that way sometimes. Maybe it's just weirdo me. Haha.

14. Factfind

Factfind Old Hand

15. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Foldable stocks are good to have for tactical situations. Good price too.

16. E.L.

This one is almost half the price. http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-mossberg6.html

I am not a big fan of the pistol grip only shotguns, but I do like their concealability. I bought one a couple of years back new for $199. I immediately put a stock on it though. For a cache, I want something really cheap, that way it is more affordable to have several caches which in my mind would increase your chances of success.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Folding stocks are nice for packing with a pack or in a pack.

18. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Never buried anything, but used to do a lot of waterline work, and when you put that final endcap on, be sure to rotate in one direction or another until it stops. Otherwise, the displaced air forms "mini-tubes" that let water in or out. A quick swab of glue around the perimeter of the endcap is good insurance agains leaks.
    jim

19. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

By the way, I looked at the website again on this shotgun, it has gone up from $349 to $499!!!!!!!!

I should have bought them last month![dunno]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7