How accurate do you think a 94AE 30-30 can be

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. Not even on a barn door at 150yd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Better than a smooth bore musket

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. 6 inches @ 100yd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4 inches @ 100yd

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. 3 inches @ 100yd

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Less than 2 inches at 100yd

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Got the scope in and it's a big improvement.
    Right out of the box the reticle is clear and sharp and the reticle and target are in focus at the same time from 20yd's or less to 1,500yd? or more.
    I wouldn't be surprised if having the target and cross hairs in focus at the same time shaves an inch off 100yd groups.
    Don't buy cheap scopes.

As my mechanical engineering friend says, it's relatively easy to make a really good bolt action rifle, it's more difficult to manufacture a good scope.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Loaded up some Sierra 110gr soft points on top of 40gr of 748. These were designed for 30carbine.
    If I can hit anything with them I will use them on coyotes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A good 30-30 loading will easily be good for a Meat Shot out to 300 or 400 Yards... Two years in the Washington North Cascades, I carried a M-94 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30 and never used more than one shot on any of the Critters I shot... and No Scope as it added to the weight and handle issues...

jim2 likes this.
  4. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

JMHO here, there are 3 factors involved in accurate shooting, the rifle, the rifleman and the ammo. So what kind of accuracy are you looking for? For minute of meat within the envelop of design parameters it will do just fine. Just remember this ain't no Camp Perry or Palma rifle.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 94 in 30-30 is an odd beast.
    Normally anything I reload is more accurate than factory ammo.
    But not in the 30-30 so far all my reloads have been worse than factor ammo.

So far I have determined not a scope issue, as it has iron sites. New scope is definitely better than open irons. The old optic was Walmart junk.
    Groups open up as the bbl heats up.
    Generally 150s shoot better than 170s, so maybe try 110s over top of something other than the max load and try some 130s.

Screw loading for max power, not trying to punch through Maine undergrowth anymore. The most accurate load is best here, hopefully its in the higher end of the 30-30s velocity limits.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Poking around on the Internet I found some loads I could try.
    One uses 33.5gr of 748 and a 150gr speer hot core.
    I used to think 748 was a little too slow for 150gr. But it looks like all the pet and best accuracy tested loads use slower burning propellants than H322 I had been using.

7. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Most firearms will out shoot the shooter. If the barrel is not shot out (I've yet to find a lever action 30-30 that is shot out) then it should shoot within 2 inches at 100 yards. Although I've never been a fan of high rise scope mounts on hunting rifles, some people find them useful. The cheek weld turns into a chin weld for me and the scope/barrel offset degrades accuracy. Handloading does help tighten up shot groups, but sometimes the effort isn't worth it, unless you enjoy doing that. The most I've tightened up my groups by handloading is by 1/2" (2" group went to 1 1/2" group from the bench rest).

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I slugged the barrel around 1999. It measured .3005 on the lands just past the forcing cone and the groves measured .3083 to .3085 inches.

I just need to change over to RE15 or win748 which are the other two 30-30 appropriate propellants I have that are slower. I had been using H322.
    It looks like most of the accurate 30-30 ammo uses powders significantly slower burning than H322 at least in rifle terms.
    But that was 20 years ago when I developed those loads and like most new reloaders I was looking to make a fast bullet with the least propellant.
    With in 3 or 4 years I had figured out I get better results when I use a powder that fills the shell.

This is the only gun/round I reload for that my reloads have worse accuracy.
    My pistol rounds, hell I can throw anything in a shell and it's more accurate than factory ammo probably because I use the same seat die and precisely the same amount of propellant on all the rounds.

I haven't tried my 30 carbine rounds. but they're unlike anything available, 86gr 30 cal Mauser pistol bullets being flung at like 2,200fps. I can't say they shoot noticeably worse or better than factory ammo. They do make a noticeably bigger mess at 50 yards.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I need to warm up the ol lever gun.
    I bought a keg, because I'm not screwing around any more, of lever evolution powder. That powder is supposed to be more accurate and give higher V than 748.
    Also got some Hornady 140gr soft ballistic tip boat tail bullets, they have a G1 ballistic coefficient of something like .33 which is ridiculous for a 30-30 bullet.
    Usually a flat tip, flat base 30-30 bullet will be listed as follows:
    G1 Ballistic coefficient | Yes...
    (Not encouraging for long range)
    When I know the velocity, the ballistic coefficient I can calculate bullet drop at range.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I found the factory Hornady lever evolution 160gr FTX factory load. It's obviously a 160gr FTX bullet, hodgon lever evolution powder made for hornady (no surprise there), in the amount of 34gr. Primer appears to be "non magnum".
    How can I improve on the 160gr FTX loading.
    My 3 primer choices are cci, S&B and winchester large rifle. I'll just pick whatever I have the most of for testing, probably the WLR.

I'm thinking load them with my dies as I set them up 20 years ago. Full length trim since 30-30 head spaces off the rim. Load the first batch at 6 each of 33, 34, 35, 36, 37gr and 38gr (Note the max charge on the jug is 35.5gr, the max charge in hornady manual number 9 is 37gr) which ever one is most accurate try half grain increments either way, once that's dialed in, try the other primers, last play with the seating depth. I'm going to try to do this with under 100 bullets.
    If accuracy goes from say ok at 33, good at 34, ok at 35, then to bad at 36 I may pull down the 37 and 38gr loads to save time and bullets.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There have been several discussions on thuty-thuty enhancements on the HandloadersBench. Might be worth joining up and looking it over. (Selfish promotion.) Link is on the SM main page.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

I worked up loads for my grandfathers pre 64 Winchester that shot 1" at 100. The powder was RL7 with a 125gr Sierra flat nose hollow point. I would have to go back in my notes for the powder weight but the velocity was 2500fps

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Reloader number 7 is kind of an odd powder to use in 30-30.
    But I plan on learning to good load with it my friend has a partial end of production run jug left over from the plant.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The .30-30 was the first rifle cartridge to be loaded with smokeless powder. I’ve killed quite a few dear,coyotes and hogs with it. The .30-30 Winchester lever action is one gun everybody should own.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oil pan,You just as soon send that 30/30 to either me,oldman11 or oddcaliber,We know how to hit something with it....
    Its almost as bad as a 45/70 having to lobe in a round !

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All the ammo I loaded 15 to 20 years ago was loaded with the max charge of H322.
    Accuracy on that ammo out to about 70yd is acceptable.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I bet there are more Winchester.30-30’s out there than any other gun model. Almost everybody has at least one.
    [flag]

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Not me, That's a rich mans machine !

19. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Bite your Tongue!! My 30-30 is a Marlin!!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have one of each... Win94 & Marlin 336... The Win94 was my packgun when I lived in the North Cascades, before AlaskaChick... The Marlin336 came from my GodFathers Collection when I bought it when he went into the Nursing Home... Love them both, and my 30-30 Reloads print just dandy @ 100yds... 100% Meat Shots...

Gator 45/70, oldawg and STANGF150 like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Bandit99
  10. HK_User
  11. 3M-TA3
  12. Dunerunner