How back to basic is acceptable for you?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Thunder5Ranch, Oct 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Oh, one more thought on communication. A cautious knock on the door and then stepping way back off the porch with your hands in sight is best. If somebody really wants to get hold of me and can't visit, they can send me a letter. I wonder if the IRS will forward mail to me? They always seem to know where to find me.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The only reason we have power is because I demand it for work. My SO would abandon the whole thing to live in the woods at the drop of a hat...I am honestly unsure that she would bother packing kit, she'd be out of here so fast.

3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The IRS always knows where to find you! They are the government after all and are here to help.

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Common sense has me tied down.
    Now on Social security it's not advisable to evaporate from the system.
    However once that falls out that's very little reason to hang around.
    I just may turn my back on every thing, and head for parts unknown.
    I may not even take a compass, except to know I'm moving away from the perpetual insanity .
    I think I'd rather die in the bush with peace of mind , than been driven nutz by society a vegetable .

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Social Security can be Direct Deposited into your Bank Account.... Money then transfered, to anywhere you choose, via Internet... That is No Reason not to leave the Populated Areas for the Bush.... I usually don't see more than a Dozen people between October, and May every winter... and do ALL my financial work, online....

Thunder5Ranch and AxesAreBetter like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I will take that under advisement .

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  7. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

I could probably go back about a hundred years and live perfectly happy. It would take awhile to get over the lack of entertainment, namely internet streaming media but daily life would be tolerable and even preferable in a lot of ways. The lack of medical knowledge and technology would be the most immediate concern in case of emergency but I'm generally healthy and stay out of the hospital most of the time.

8. MyPrepperLife

MyPrepperLife Monkey

I live off grid, but my house, when finished, will be a comfortable and convenient place to live.
    I have a small solar-electric system and will be building a bigger one this summer.
    I pump water by hand but eventually will have pressurized hot and cold water.
    My house will have a flush toilet.
    Currently I rely on a propane-fueled wall furnace to heat the house, but as soon as my woodstove is installed I'll be relying on the woodstove most of the time to heat the house.

Things I would not want to do:

- carry water
    - use an outhouse
    - go without showers
    - go without electric lighting
    - go without Internet service (it is a must-have for me anyway because I operate an Internet-based business from my home).

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@MyPrepperLife Time to learn Solar , Heat collection solar & woodstove jacked heat . I live on grid , with a 12-18 $ power bill .
    Do NOT unroll the built in control system !!
    Rules before green , because we don't see your helping !!
    You will never see any carbon credits (FAKE MATH ) for the effort we do.
    Neo-Cons or who thinks they are the ones in control , will learn when the tide /switch/power /stuff turns .
    I 'll hear gens for a month , then quite. !!

Ganado likes this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My BiL, a nice guy, has lived off-grid (or off-civilization) for most of his life. For many years after college, he was a sheepherder on the border of UT and NV. Lived in a caravan. BTW - shepherding is a lifestyle not a 'job'.

Now much older, he lives in MT in a 100 Y/O log cabin - walls are a couple of feet thick, so heating isn't a problem. He 'cooks' over a propane supplied Coleman stove. A 1 lb cylinder lasts him quite a while as he uses it mostly for coffee. Water comes from the creek and so on. He has a Bachelor's degree, oddly enough.

I asked him if he misses 'civilization'. Nope. When he decided to 'drop-out' he went all the way. He is as close to a real-life Hermit as I know of. Going to miss him when he's gone...

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think I would miss this site a lot.

1. hot diggity
  2. M118LR
  3. Motomom34
  4. lonewolf89
  5. lonewolf89
  6. Motomom34
  7. melbo
  8. Tango3
  9. monkeyman