How Do I Eat THAT!! - Radishes, turnips et al

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Ganado, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I like radishes best in a stew. They have a very different flavor

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thank you @SoaySheep for reviving this thread, I've been working on pickling radishes and turnips japanese style but i cant get my rice bran pan to have enough bacteria without going sour...radish pickled in rice bran are awesome .... more on this later

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Stir Fry! You may not want to wok your dog, but you can wok your green garden veggies

A quick turn in a sizzling-hot wok gives radishes and carrots deliciously browned edges. Be sure to cut the vegetables into uniform slices so they cook evenly. This is a great side dish for seafood.

Ingredients
    • 2 Tbs. mirin
    • 1 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
    • Kosher salt
    • 1 Tbs. peanut oil
    • 5 medium carrots (about 3/4 lb.), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    • 1-3/4 lb. radishes (about 2 bunches), trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (reserve tops for another use, if desired)
    • 1 Tbs. minced garlic
    • 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
    • 2/3 cup shelled edamame (thawed, if using frozen)
    • 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Preparation

• In a small bowl, combine the mirin, soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
    • Heat a 14-inch flat-bottom wok (or a 12-inch heavy-duty skillet) over high heat. Swirl in the oil. Add the carrots and radishes and stir-fry until the edges begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to stir-fry until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes more.
    • Add the edamame and soy sauce mixture and stir-fry until just heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in the sesame seeds and serve.
    Add bacon or sausage as desired.

Dunerunner, SoaySheep and Ganado like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Eggplant Fermented in oil
    I just did the herbs and drying out last nite now it needs to sit for 10 days. Love Egg plant like this but I've never done it before

Zimmy and Meat like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ve never been in the same county as an eggplant. I like eggs though.

Zimmy likes this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Parsnips can be roasted like turnips and are fantastic

Ganado likes this.
  7. DKR

Carrot and Daikon Radish Salad (I'll admit, not many here eat Chinese radishes)

Ingredients
    • half a medium-sized daikon radish, peeled
    • a carrot, peeled
    • 1-2 thai chili pepper, chopped (optional, could be substituted with chopped scallion)
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
    • a handful of roasted sesame seeds
    Instructions
    1. Cut the daikon radish and carrot into "spaghetti strands" with a spiralizer. (Your local Kitchen Aid store has these. They are wonderful for Zukes to Spaghetti)
    2. Transfer them into a container, sprinkle in chopped Thai chili peppers (or chopped scallion for non-spicy version).
    3. Toss in sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sesame seeds, mix well and let sit for 10 minutes to enjoy!
    No cooking and great hot day dinner or light lunch.

Ganado likes this.
  8. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

rice bran pan?

Ganado likes this.
  9. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

The key to good eggplant is cooking it whole until it deflates. It goes against all the normal rules of cooking things

Ganado likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@SoaySheep I love fermented foods, i made kraut, kim chi, pickled nearly everything in small batches as I find that works best for me, Right now Im learning the art of japanese rice bran fermentstion, you get to dig in the bran daily because the bacteria still on your hands even after washing them, is critical to the fermentation process.

How to Make Nukadoko (Fermented Rice Bran Bed) for Pickling
    Read more at How to Make Nukadoko (Fermented Rice Bran Bed) for Pickling | Garden Betty

the veggies are a short term ferment (3 days) and are tasty

SoaySheep and oil pan 4 like this.
  11. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Interesting article. It makes me wonder that if it's just lactobacillus and salt that's doing the pickling if you could toss some veggies in a bag with a dash of yogurt and a little pickling salt and leave them on the counter over night or a few days loosely covered? I'm allergic to wheat and commercial rice bran usually has some wheat in it

Ganado likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

to get real rice bran you have to go to an Asian market, and are you allergic after fermentation? Usually when someone is allergic it is usually the gluten that is injected into everything. What part of wheat are you allergic too?, Wheat bran is the outer shell and doesn't usually have gluten

13. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I have celiac disease, which technically isn't an allergy per se meaning it's not an immunoglobulin reaction, however the legal definition of gluten free is a joke for most of us with actual celiac disease. The legal definition is fewer than 20 ppm of gluten. Most of us react around 2 ppm. Most things labelled as gluten free are not. They can add flour as a decaking agent and don't have to list it as it technically isn't an ingredient. I can't buy any preground spices or pregrated cheese, I have to wash plain rice before I cook it, so I can guarantee that as far as celiac disease goes wheat bran most definitely is not gluten free. Nothing with wheat, barley or rye and no, fermentation does not alter the gluten enough, nor does baking. Distillation even sometimes isn't enough (technically it should be but typically re-infected at a later stage in the production) Most sausages except home made are off the list, many chocolates have added malt, sometimes even chicken or bacon or a pork loin has had gluten added in some fashion, probably in a meat tenderizer, soy sauce, a lot of ice creams.

Asian market to me would mean a 4 hour road trip. I'm in Ky Appalachia

My solution to crepes is to just use beans. Lentils, Garbanzos and split peas all work. Larger beans, not so much. Wash, rehydrate, rinse and then blend them down just with fresh water plus or minus spices in a high speed blender until it's a thin batter

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Ganado likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wow you do have the worst form of that. Would love to see a crepe or tortilla recipee make with beans i have never tried that.

15. DKR

I see tortillas with coconut or cauliflower. or even almond flour. I've not seen anything on bean paste for making a tortillas....

16. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

It's not a paste. You can certainly make a paste as a dip. That's basically what hummus is. To make it a batter it has to be thinner and from what I've tried I think you have to use rehydrated uncooked beans, as opposed to hummus which is cooked beans which are then blended

It's not a bean tortilla. It doesn't have as much structural integrity as a tortilla. It's softer and more friable. It's a bean crepe. It's soft, rollable. You pour your batter onto an oiled 350F griddle and then spread it to between 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and when the top is dry, flip it. Each side takes about 2-3 minutes. Garbanzo crepes have a very neutral flavor that works well for sweet fillings. You can even wrap them around a cannoli tube and fry them into a cannoli shell. Split pea crepes are very tasty with savory fillings like fajitas, so I suppose one might call that one a tortilla, but again it doesn't have the structural integrity so you'd have to make several smaller fajitas. About a 4 inch diameter for me seems to be the max. However I have seen 10 inch or so done in an Indian restaurant, but that was only lightly filled with saffron rice and a few green peas. Lentils are the traditional bean for filling with saffron rice in Indian cuisine. I've tried other beans, but they don't seem to make a good batter that when fried can produce a thin crepe. They will however work for making a thicker pancake, like arepas.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  17. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I actually know people who have it worse. I'm about middle of the road for people with actual celiac disease. One of the more annoying things is the inability to eat out. Few restaurants understand it and a lot just don't care. It's not unusual for wait staff or cook staff to think it's not a real thing or think it's just a fad diet and ignore the preparation requirements. I actually am more likely to have an issue if I ask for a GF menu as opposed to only picking things off the regular menu that happen to likely be GF. On the rare occasion that I go on a vacation I have to get carry out unless the restaurant is within 10 minutes of wherever I'm staying. Explosive diarrhea while in a car is not a laughing matter. Even places that claim to be friendly to gluten free requirements usually fail to understand that any grain needs to be washed and preground spice mixes are a no-no. Generally those who do at least sort of get it go to the extreme and won't even use salt, so it's a good thing that I was already an accomplished cook before developing celiac disease. In my family those who get it usually don't manifest until after the age of 40 or so

There are now some apps to help people find restaurants, like "Gluten Free near me" at least I think that's the name. My wife has it on her phone. I don't have a cell phone.

The other thing about eating out is there are places with gluten free buns or pizza dough, but generally they all taste terrible or have very gritty texture or are terribly thick to get some structural integrity because they all are heavy with rice flour. The key to GF baking is don't use rice flour but that's what commercial bakeries use. If I do go out to eat I tend to go to Mid East traditional or South American traditional, places that ethnically didn't have wheat until only the last few centuries.

The only chain restaurant that I've consistently been able to get a GF meal that doesn't feel like a punishment is Longhorn. Other chain places have been hit or miss based on the individual locations. Unfortunately for me the closest Longhorn is almost 2 hours away

The best place I've ever been as far as getting good food that was GF was Portland Oregon. There the restaurants were good about it, took it seriously and would allow substitutions. "Oh, you can't have the pasta, how about we substitute some fingerling potatoes?" The vast majority of places it's, "Oh you can't have the pasta, well we'll be happy to sell you half the food at the full price."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Ganado likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

You're_fat

But you're good fat!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Ganado
  8. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  9. alaskachick
  10. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  11. Ganado
  12. DKR
  13. DKR