how do i know if a area has plentiful game?

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by bunkerguy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. bunkerguy

bunkerguy Monkey

I am thinking about buying some land, how do i know if a area has pentiful game? what state has the most game?

2. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Depends what you mean by game.

If you mean animals that you can hunt and eat, I would say that Alaska probably has the most, because it's the biggest state, and is relatively undeveloped. (Wilderness = wildlife, right?)

If you're asking which state has the most "game" in a more urban-slang manner, then I'm afraid I can't help you. Rap stars have been arguing this point for years, and while I'm no expert on rap, there appears to be little or no agreement on the subject - although the east and west coasts in general seem to be the most commonly referenced.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) [melbo]

Brokor, Redneck Rebel and tulianr like this.
  3. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

How do you know? Go look.

The easiest thing to see - besides the animals themselves are tracks, beds, and scat left behind. If there are enough tracks to make a trail - there are a lot of animals or a few using that path often.

One moose can outweigh a LOT of squirrels but there are likely to be far more squirrels......

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Easy...
    Contact the areas game and fish deparment!
    They know what game is where and the amount/s.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

You could look and see if the Indians are fat. If you can see their ribs, they are vegetarians or have very little game. (y)

Cephus, Quigley_Sharps and JABECmfg like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

LOL

Check with your insurance company - see many claims they pay out for vehicle - deer/moose/elk/raccoon/etc collisions and what area has the highest pay out.

BTW hunting in Alaska is problematic without an aircraft.

Quigley_Sharps and tulianr like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depends on "Where" in alaska your talking about, and just "WHAT" you plan to hunt.... Alaska is a VERY Big Place, and has very a limited Road System, so Road Hunting, will depend on their being a Road near where you intend to hunt. A plane will get you out in the bush, but more hunters use boats, that planes. Rivers are still a MAJOR Transportation Highway, in alaska, and just about every bush Village, sits next to a river, or body of water. ..... YMMV....

8. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Look at the bag and possession limits for trapping and hunting (all methods) of the game management units for the region you are looking into and compare. The greater the limits, the better the ratio of available game to hunting/habitat loss pressure.

tulianr likes this.
  9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Try raising a garden. If you don't need a staked out junkyard dog, a fence and a shotgun, odds are your area is game poor.

Cephus, oldawg, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Andy's got game. He referenced the local deer population as wood (tree?) rats and asked if we thought a .50 BMG could take out 8 at a time when they lined up in his garden for breakfast. Unfortunately, I moved 3 time zones away before we could experiment to resolve the problem.

BTPost likes this.
  11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

There are many more factors you need to consider other than just game. Is the land rich enough for gardening/farming, ample water (flowing/pond/lake), trees enough for wood heat w/o stripping the land, type of "neighbors", etc. etc. Chose carefully as you may want to go solar/wind/water for power--earth sheltered housing, and be able to defend same.

TnAndy and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7