How do you get started?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by melbo, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You can use propane on a larger forge where you have more volume and use a bigger tank, but for these MAPP gas from Home Depot works great.

2. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Would my Oxy Acetylene torch work or would it be too hot in the bricks ?

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bricks are cheap, give it a try. b:: Use a face shield, if the bricks are the least wet, you chance some spalling that can be, um, violent. Better heat them slowly until they are pretty dry.

The thing is, an oxy acetylene torch burns some 400 or so degrees hotter than an oxy mapp setup. (Referring to my memory, O-A is abbut 6300, MAPP is about 5700, but my memory is not THAT good to rely on.) I think the torch referred to by Valkman is the single bottle type that is about like a normal propane torch used for soldering copper pipe, and that don't use pressurized O2. Way cooler flame.

With a full size cutting rig, you need to use the smallest rosebud (neutral flame!!) you can find and use a (brick?) heat sink to rest your work piece on so you can control the temps better by color. You might also try it with refractory brick like is used to line a fireplace rather than normal brick.

If you can get your hands on a pyrometer, so much the better. There are plenty of heat treatment references around that can tell you what temps to heat a given alloy to, and for how long, to get the properties you want.

Best o' luck.

4. BigUglyOne

The brick should hold up fine, I was more worried that I would melt the steel instead of just heating it because the brick concentrated so much heat. I have a MAPP gas rig also so it isn't a big deal.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

The bricks are typically good for about 2600 or 2700.... yup... I think you'll burn or melt the steel before the bricks go on ya.....

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

hmm, I might have to give knife making a try, I guess it would be a good skill to have if the SHTF in a major way.
    Myself and a friend have done the heat treating for some wood turning tools. We used charcoal in one of the starter chimneys and I believe some peanut oil. That worked great for what we did, could the same be done for knives?

Ryan

7. Bear

Peanut oil should be fine.... make sure to heat it up a bit... maybe around 125 degrees...
    I'll get your stuff out this week....

O.k. I've sent or will be sending out 4 of these starter kits... running low or out of the goodies so gonna have to call it done on the offer....

Hope to see more pics from those budding knifemakers out there.... [beer]

8. Bear

By the way.... yup... knifemaking, general blacksmithing and metal fabrication will definitely be a valued skill in a SHTF situation.... learn how to forge with basic materials... building a forge in the ground, make shift tuyere or air blast, makeshift anvil, quenching in all types of liquids - including water, how to forge weld, etc.... these are all great skills.... propane, oxygen, acetylene, mapp etc... will be hard to come by.... coal, charcoal, wood may be all you have.....

oops... sorry for the drift

9. Valkman

Peanut oil works great for quenching, as does olive oil. :shock:

10. BigUglyOne

Don't you use transmission oil ?

11. BigUglyOne

Hey Bear ! Got your gift, I didn't realize you were so far away !!!!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it !! Time to have some fun !

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Bear,
    I got your package today as well, that was a fast delivery!!!!

Now, I just have to figure out what to do next :D

Ryan

13. Valkman

You can - most oils will work, and some are better than others depending on how fast they transmit the heat away from the blade. Used motor oil was popular but it's messy and stinky and I don't know anyone that uses it now.

There's also actual "quenching oil" but the only knifemaker I know of that uses it is Ed Fowler.

14. Valkman

I'd get some books and/or tapes. Forums such as Bladeforums and usualsuspect.com are also a wealth of info.

15. Bear

Hey Guys....
    You're both welcome....
    Hey Valkman....
    Sent them 2 of the bricks, some o-1 steel stock, stabilized wood scales, brass pins and brass tubing.... maybe you can give them some tips...

Valkman is a wealth on knowledge on this start up guys.... I'm sure he'll be happy to help out.... remember to post pics...

Bear

16. slash-5

slash-5 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm interested. But, I'll be happy to pay for the supplies if necessary...

17. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Welcome to the site Slash-5!
    [beer]

18. slash-5

slash-5 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Check out Don Fogg's site. I can't get to it from work (blocked), but he has some excellent articles on building knives.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7