How do you prepare your salmon

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Hanzo, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My mom (age 100) wanted salmon, so I prepared wild salmon four ways for her. I always start with salt curing. If it’s good enough for sushi chefs, it’s good enough for me.

First raw dish was sashimi with ginger onion sauce

Second was poke

The cooked dishes were seared with mango lime

And coated with mayo and topped with lup cheong (Chinese sausage)

How do you guys and gals prepare your salmon, or other fish?

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Salmon I am a one trick pony, I fire grill it over a member of the white oak family and go heavy on the garlic butter. Catfish fillets I either deep fry with cornmeal breading or grill on the flat top griddle with lemon pepper, plain salt and bit of fresh dill and top it with grilled onions and with either cayenne peppers or bell peppers or sometimes both. Largmouth bass I i like just broiled with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Panfish Bluegill, crappie, redear etc I fillet them corn meal bread them and fry a pile of them because they are like potato chips can't eat just a few need a plate piled high :) Bought in fish like Cod or Pollack I beer batter and deep fry, or grill like the catfish on the flat top and Cod I like to broil like the bass as well. Fiddler Cats I bread and fry whole (Well minus the head, skin and guts ;) I keep fish cooking pretty simple and tasty :)

Homer Simpson, Ura-Ki, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Try the cod with miso, ginger, sugar and mirin. Let it soak overnight or two or three. Then in a pan on the grill. So good.

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  4. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Salt and pepper baked in the oven or fired on the grill. Who has time with all the work for getting fancy... back in the day when I had free time I poached it with mango salsa, that wasn't bad. I think I prefer over a camp fire the best.

Hanzo, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I have several fish recipes but my easiest and fast is All you can eat Friday fried catfish buffet down at our local cafe. Well maybe not so easy as you do have to get up and walk to the buffet. Wears you out after the second trip.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

If I can get it fresh, which is seldom, I like it on the grill with BBQ sauce, cole slaw, or a big tossed salad, I won't buy Atlantic or farmed salmon and cannot abide previously frozen fish.

Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

broiled or over a fire. Wood ash and burnt ends are all the seasoning i need.

Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

6 to 12 hours in the smoker cold, usually with apple or plum chips for winter Stealhead or Springer Chinook. For later summer fish like Coho or Sockeye, the heavier Hickory smoke and longer.
    From the smoker, it gets a dri rub of Paul Prudhommes ( original blend only) meat magic, slices of fresh lemon, orange, and onion. Then it gets seared on the BBQ, or a smoking hot cast iron pan till the ends are crispy, usually flipped only once.
    I like to carmalize the fruit and onion in butter first before adding to the fish, really brings out the flavors nicely with out over cooking it!
    For a Fancy schmancy dinner, I toss several fillets in the Dutch oven and slather mayonnaise over the top and bake it till done. Then ser e with fresh lemon and orange slices and steamed veggies along with a humumgous baked tater loaded with bacon bits butter, fresh green onion, and sour creme!

Naturally, a yumongous slice of Key Lime Pie must follow, along with a nice Cuppa, usually Cofveve, or mulled wine!

Homer Simpson, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Many, if not most meals taste best cooked in a campfire! Once at camp, I was preparing to cook dinner. I salt cured two huge salmon filets. Was going to smoke one with the campfire and prepare one raw. My little one came by as I was cutting one filet for the raw portion. She wanted a taste. It was plain and unseasoned. And she loved it. Rounded up all the kids and they ate that whole slab plain and unseasoned. They were like locusts. I ended up doing my plan with the remaining filet. Thankfully, the kids were pretty full, so the adults got to eat.

enloopious and oldawg like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I pay more for wild caught. Lots of local fishermen selling fresh ahi around me.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Wifee loves honey smoked. I just very lightly season and rub honey on it. Smoke it with kiawe (local mesquite).

Not fish, but my friend did this ribeye for me. It was soooo good. Just salt and pepper. But he cold smoked it with kiawe for an hour. Then seared each side for a minute each. Perfect medium rare and it was so tasty.

Homer Simpson, enloopious and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We also do up a smoked fillet with a Lemongrass rub and fresh ground ginger. Take the Ginger and Lemongrass and add to the Paul Prudhommes meat magic rub in a small saute pan, add butter and olive oil and add a splash of Jack Daniels and a couple strips of good diced bacon, and let it all reduce, then rub and ether fry or BBQ till done. You can add a hoisen sauce if you like, it's really good ether way!

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Every time I've looked at Wild Caught salmon the country of origin is listed as China, with processing in Russia. I've never been to China but I've been to other parts of Asia and you don't want to eat anything that came out of those rivers.

Atlantic or farmed salmon doesn't have all the goodness of wild caught, but it's raised in Finland and processed in Germany. I trust those two countries way more than I do China and Russia.

Of course, fresh caught out of Alaska or maybe the PNW is the best of all, but it's rare.

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Living in the mitten state. I've got close access to Lake Trout, Steelhead, Coho and King Salmon. It's often that a friend will be heading to one of the big lakes and ya might get a filet sent your way as long as you return the favor.

Ura-Ki and Hanzo like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I live on the coast in the PNW. Chinook fishing on my local river was closed this season due to low river flows, but it is open out in the ocean where the Chinese fishing fleet routinely violates our territorial waters to harvest our fish. Those salmon caught commercially by U.S. boats are shipped back East where they get top dollar. We see very little of that here. I hear the old timers talk about nearly being able to walk across the river on the backs of spawning salmon and steelhead but those times are gone, I am afraid. Both Chinook and Silvers are in the river now. That this resource has gotten this depleted hurts me. It is as if no one seems to have learned the lessons of the Atlantic Salmon in the Eastern rivers. It is what we get with Government Management.

Ura-Ki and Hanzo like this.
  16. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Marinated in teriyaki sauce and honey, wrapped in foil,, 20 min in oven at 450 degrees served over a bed of rice with pea pods and bean sprouts. With extra teriyaki and honey sauce on the side.
    I was on a road trip for business, had some time off and went to visit my best friend-best buds since 1971. He and his wife were out, and got delayed for several hours. He had a whole house full of hungry people, his wife's parents, their teenage sons, and several of the kids friends. I took the oldest son, borrowed one of the family vehicles and went to the grocery store.

The boy looked at the ingredients I was buying, and remarked " Looks suspiciously like health food to me". A little while after the meal he walked up to me moaning and said " I hurt, and it's all your fault. It was so good that I just couldn't stop eating it, and now I hurt!"

Homer Simpson, Ura-Ki and Hanzo like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Stay away from China!!

Homer Simpson and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Copper River is awesome!!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yup, we allowed the rivers to be "Managed" by politicians and not biologists, we let the commercial gill netters dictate the "Rules" and then e let the Injuns over fish cause 'Mu Rights" to over fish, it's part of our culture! Meanwhile, We tax, permit, tax some more, license, and tag, and then tell you you can only fish certain days using barbless hooks, which just so happens to be the days they let the damn dams out! Then they over sell the water and letric, and then close the rivers to anglers!
    I damn near sold my boat, hasn't been in the water for 2 years now, no point in wasting the fuel to tow it someplace worth going only to have the state close the fuckin water, or close the species! I'm actually going to take the boat down to Tillamook and leave it there, use it for crabbing and running out into the blue to chase tuna and halibut as well as all the rock fish I can eat! If I happen to catch a few Chinook, so be it, put it in live bags under the hull and give the staters the big one finger wave! I'm about to start poaching big game too, you see what the state has done with our Elk season? Like I said, this is what you get when the god damn politicians run things, and take the bribe money from the Commercial Fishing, Ranchers, Farmers, and Chinese, who buy up everything we produce here!

Wife and I take little mini vacations down to the big boat on the weekends, we always loved stopping at the local fish mongers to pick up fresh shellfish and what ever they might have, all are closed and out of business, and you would think Pacific Seafoods would have a store front, NOPE, your screwed just like everyone else! I gots one secret shop we will visit, it;s owned by a couple old timer fishermen and they always cut us a deal on everything, 5 gallon bucketss of fresh steamers is ALWAYS worth the stop!

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  20. Sunnyvibes

Sunnyvibes Monkey

Baked with butter, honey and cinnamon. Now I need to go get some fresh salmon lol.

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7