How does a homeschooler...

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Tracy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Q: How does a Homeschooler change a light bulb?

A: First, mom checks three books on electricity out of the library, then the kids make models of light bulbs, read a biography of Thomas Edison and do a skit based on his life.

Next, everyone studies the history of lighting methods, wrapping up with dipping their own candles.

Next, everyone takes a trip to the store where they compare types of light bulbs as well as prices and figure out how much change they'll get if they buy two bulbs for $1.99 and pay with a five dollar bill. On the way home, a discussion develops over the history of money and also Abraham Lincoln, as his picture is on the five dollar bill.

Finally, after building a homemade ladder out of branches dragged from the woods, the light bulb is installed.

And there is light.
    :)

At first I thought this was kinda' funny... then I realized.. :eek:.. This is my life. [notfunny]

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Funny that you should post this. We homeschool and I am simply a nut like the above. The kids are planning on doing something "fun" for education today and will be heading to the Henry Ford Museum at Greenfield Village

The kids (4/7) are excited to go look at original steam locomotives, reconstructed bedrooms/offices/living rooms of famous people with the actual furniture, books, etc, and then they get books at the library to learn about these famous people.

In fact, they have Thomas Edison's workshop/home on the site that Henry Ford moved here from Ohio. Maybe the lightbulb sudy unit can be....

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Oh, my daughter informed me last night that she had the first 16 presidents memorized in order of being president. She loves GW..not to be confused with GWB or GHWB.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Good for you (and your kids)! My youngest has just completed a grade and is starting the next - her intent is to complete 2 grades this school year, before changing her curriculum. My son is working on a much tougher curriculum and his friends (public schooled), from the same grade level, have no idea what he's working on. Even those listed as "gifted" in PS aren't near learning what he's mastering.

Having just made the switch to homeschooling the middle of last school year; I see a complete change in the quality and quantity of education. We now have the opportunity to study like never before and the freedom for "field trips" to heighten and excite their educational experience. I truly believe that we've made the right decision for their education.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

My only child is my dog, and he is homeschooled as well :)

In fact, I think he's much smarter, and has better manners than the average public school kid :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7