How far do you want to go off-grid with your lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Asia-Off-Grid, May 8, 2016.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Dig your OWN well Dude !!Summer time is the best for machinery .
    DO-NOT break through the HARD pan , But go right down to it .
    Mine is 7' deep in one area & 25' in the other on the ranch.
    Learn the rest & hide it , feed it with solar power so it's not reporting a smart pump to a Smart Meter for extra TAX billing..
    This is in some areas NOw !
    sloth

Ganado likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It takes $ $$ to be doing that .
    I'm not rich . I live on SS .
    Coming up with property taxes is a challenge year to year.
    Right now i am debating selling the place and moving , but I'm not sure where just yet.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

That's one thing that causes a lot of guys to move abroad. I cannot count the number of guys who live in SE Asia, and just draw SSA or Social Security Disability.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

so what do you do when the chickens stop producing? they lay less in the winter and about every 2 years they molt and don't lay eggs... how do you deal with the cycle of life?

5. WTF Off Grid

WTF Off Grid Off Grid Since Oct 15

The cheapest way to go solar is to reduce your power needs.

We're off Grid here and that means 100% solar and occasional genny on these stupid hot days where I chicken out and turn on the AC. Drove our own well and got water from the stream before that. Plan on going as far I can which will include cutting our wired internet connection (which will PO the cable company since they ran half a mile of wire to get back here lol) but still need it for my day job.

My gardening skills have to be sharpened before I consider replacing my produce with homegrown, we don't eat much for meat so raising meat birds or rabbits is just not necessary, but eggs and dairy are big so the chicks and milk goat are hopefully going to be part of the homestead this summer.

So, yeah, we're taking it all as far as we can go. Cut all ties that we can and live a life of simple minimalism.

Just found this forum today so saying hello, BTW. :)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@WTF Off Grid
    Pictures are needed !!
    I lowered the usage till ice cubes came from the hot water tap ;)

7. WTF Off Grid

I don't have many pictures worth a poo. We shoot video but I don't want to be the new guy posting my youtube videos. LOL

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We'll settle for screen grabs to start---

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. WTF Off Grid

Yeah that works!
    Screenshot_20160723-020755. 20151012_150334. FB_IMG_1468422381633. Resized_20160721_135127.

Me using an engine hoist to pull well point out last weekend, the muddy road we cut in, our shower, some wild flowers in the clearing.

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My BIL is totally off grid and has been for years - a really basic lifestyle. His biggest concession to 'modern' stuff is a Coleman gas stove to boil water for coffee. Nothing I would be interested in.

This kind of life was something he got used to, I suppose, from being a sheepherder for so long.

11. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Perhaps I am comprehending this incorrectly? How far off the grid do I want to go. I WANT every modern convince I can get for daily life. But I still take at least one Rustic Vacation a year just to ensure that I'm still capable.

12. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Who says you cannot have those conveniences, while still living off-grid? Although I thought we would have moved to the farm by the 15th or so of this month, we are still working on some things out there. However, once we are done, we will be completely off-grid, while still enjoying everything available to us in the city - with the exception of dirtier air. The air at the farm is much fresher, and I'm pretty sure, much better for us.

Unfortunately, some folks' idea of "roughing it", is having to stay in a Motel 6.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Baby_quail

Welcome to the world, Little One!
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7