How have you used your EDC?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We went to a homechool family’s party for their youngest child’s birthday (10). It was a pool party and I was not expecting to use any of my EDC except maybe my bottle of water.

Well, that was not the case. We ended up helping with decorations and food prep. Since their was only one sharp knife there, my beater Osborne helped out. And believe it or not, this is the second kid’s party where the parents did not have something to hang their piñata with. So the 12-15’ of bank line saved the day. And then, a mom was yelling for tweezers because a kid got stung by a bee. Tweezers from the Victorinox Executive made an appearance.

So you can see, poor planning all around. And like the late night infomercials, but wait, there’s more. No lighter to light the birthday candles. Surprised I got them all lit since it was very windy. Mini Bic lighter worked surprisingly well in the wind with parents making a wind block.

And finally, they set up the present table on the lawn. And at night, it is dark. So the Maratac titanium AAA help the girl read her cards and see her presents. Not sure why they didn’t set it up on the lanai where there were lights.

Anyway, nothing exciting or really cool about it. But real life use.

I’d like to hear your more fun and exciting stories of EDC use.

2. john316

john316 Monkey+++

i was at a wedding party at a rented space.......they used my knife to cut the cake

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How big was your knife?

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

My TL29 has teased out more splinters than I care to think about over the years.

Nice to see you again, Hanzo.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Certainly, use the Multi tool daily, last time was yesterday when I used it to change out a tail light assembly on the truck, also used the 4 inch crescent on the same job. Last night I used the Streamlight Sidewinder to look for DW's bling she dropped and to check her wound from the recent surgery. Used my 4.5 inch sheath knife to remove netting from a hay bale.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Hanzo, check your message.

7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Glad to see you back

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If I'm out eating a steak at a restaurant , or some other tough foods , I always have my knife ,, no need sawing on it with those cheap butterknives ,, course ,, it might help if I'd eat at a higher class joint ,,, :D

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My EDC stories aren't exciting mostly because I had my EDC with me. Just mundane stuff so far but last uses were a short section of paracord to hang mistletoe from the living room ceiling fan cut by my EDC knife and sealed by my disposable lighter. The knife was also used to help open presents Christmas Day.

No life saving SEAL ops or anything real exciting - hoping to not live in exciting times anytime soon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Ganado, HK_User, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I almost forget about half the stuff in my EDC. I managed to fumble my nail clippers down between the seat and the door sill. Left cargo pocket cord (holds cigar punch, AR front sight tool and an Allen wrench for adjusting various sights)
    has a magnetic closure. Fished the clippers right out.

11. hot diggity

Countless times my EDC knives have saved the day. With adjustable wrist lanyards on both of them I have fewer worries about them falling between boards on a dock or into the salt marsh if I'm cutting tangled lines off a propeller.

Oh, dropping a knife in the water is a good way to ruin your day.

HK_User, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Agreed!
    When on water craft my primary EDC knife is one of the old electricians knives I acquired during the USCG days. They passed them out like candy back then.. The bail allows a decent lanyard, and it's large enough to dress a deer if need be.

[​IMG]

13. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I went down to the chicken coop a couple months ago to lock it up for the night and there were 3 raccoons inside climbing the wire and attempting to get to the roost. I closed the door behind me and dispatched them with my EDC .22.

14. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I am always amazed to see how poorly prepared most everyday people are, for every day things.

Hanzo, HK_User, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

yep,yep,yep,
    nail clippers on the left,knife and keys on the right.
    tool'z in the truck,para cord small machete,first aid kit,toilet paper,tie wraps
    2 stream lights
    a judge in the door pocket loaded with hp's
    40 in the bag,several mags + more stuff i can't recall just off the bat

Hanzo likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My knife is used often , from opening feed bags to trimming plastic mold flaws, removing potential splinters on wood frames,
    cutting O ring stock, trimming insulation on wire, removing sharp edges on machined parts, pruning bushes, cleaning under the finger nails, trimming plastic for making parts or making shims, mixing/applying epoxy , prying open battery compartments on electronic equipment, the list is endless.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  17. hot diggity

Nice to see your TL-29 @Lancer. That was my most frequently used tool in the field.
    I carried mine in a single pistol mag pouch on the right shoulder of my flak jacket. I'd close the main blade on the bail (not as terrible as it sounds) and wrap a 5-50 cord lanyard around it. This was tied around the D ring on the shoulder of my load bearing vest. I could flip the wrapped knife out by the cord, let it fall as it unwound the cord and it would end up hanging right at my palm.

With the blade on the bail it was one hand opening. Never noticed a mark on the blade, although there was a ding on the bail after years of doing this. Could zip open an MRE packet or cut cords or netting in a hurry with no worries of dropping the knife.

Hanzo, Lancer and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

4-

4 or 5 inch folding......you really need a longer knife for a wedding cake but it got the job done

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Nail clippers in my pocket nor trying nails, cuticles, or Irish penants. Pocket knife for cutting mist everything else, Leatherman for cutting the tails of off the equipment seals because I hate that crap sticking out. Flashlight tip groundguide my partner when he is parking the ambulance. Lighter for sealing some nylon when it starts spliting on ther jump bag.

Funniest thing was being at week one day when the electric ban opener died. There wasn't a manual cam owner at the office and this kid had a can of soup for lunch. So he gets a butcher knife and is going to cut the lid open by punching it through the lid. As a paramedic, I could just see this brainiac slipping and stabbing himself. I tell him to wait and give him my leatherman with the can opener out. He looks at it, looks at me and says "Well, how am I supposed to use this thing?" Millennials, SMDH.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7